80 West Red Oak Lane, White Plains, New York, 10604, United States

Enjoying a Blue MoonEnjoying a Blue Moon

Penne VodkaPenne Vodka

SoupSoup

Travel Tips for White Plains

The Galleria. This mall is...

by Greystallion

The Galleria. This mall is hugh. It has a J.C. Penny as the anchor. It has a mutiplex movie cinema. Specialty shops, restaurants, everything a mall needs is included. My fondest memory of White Plains was all the friends on the job and off the job I met. The best part was I meet my former girlfriend there at she was the one who showed me the Galleria where we had our first date.

In Search of More Travel Books

by cjg1 about Barnes & Noble

This particular Barnes & Noble is on the small side. It's tucked into the corner of a strip mall. The selection isn't always the best and I haven't always found what I am looking for. The travel section here is okay but not filed with everything I need or want. The staff on the other hand is very helpful in locating an tem you want in the store (if they have it) or finding it at another location. We often find ourselves here simply because it is the closest B&N to our house. Books, Magazine, note cards ..... Affordable

Decent Diner Food

by cjg1 about Coach Diner

We seldomly frequent this diner. In recent weeks we have used this diner for late night food after visiting my Father in law in the hospital. Our most recent meal here believe it or not was on Christmas Eve. After saying a Merry Christmas to Bob; my brother in law, sister in law, wife and Mother in law headed over here for a late dinner. The diner is open twenty-four hour so it is a good choice for a late meal or late night snack.

Surprisingly the diner was packed with customers which made me wonder if they were experiencing the same family issues at local hospitals or were they just passing through to another destination.

The diner has the typical diner fare; sandwiches, greek specialtes, burgers, breakfast items, etc. The five of us were seated at a round table and handed menus. I went for my favorite the gyro, Liz ordered the grilled cheese, Marie went for a Hungry MAn breakfast, Rob had a salad with chicken and Bessie had a chicken wrap. Service was low but I can't blam staff for not being enthused to be working a holiday. Food was decent; not the best I have had but not the worst.

Considering all that had been going on with the family we were bale to joke that we felt like the family from the movie The Christmas Story when they were stuck eating Chinese food on Christmas. The gyro was decent; bread was a little soggy. Fries were okay.

Decent Sushi

by cjg1 about Haiku

Haiku is a chain of Japanese/sushi restaurants in Westchester and Rockland Counties. After visiting my father in law at the hospital I decided to get us a decent meal; which we hadn't had in a week. Haiku is a nice place located right on busy Mamaroneck Avenue (which can make parking on the street a bit tricky during Christmas and peak times).

We came here on a Thursday night and boy it was packed. We managed to snag a table for two in the back of the restaurant away from the busy bar area. The menu has a nice slection of sushi, sashimi and other tasty items along with cocktails, wine and beer.

My wife and I decided to share the Tempura appetizer plate as a starter. As a main dish I went for the Dancing Eel Dragon Roll. My wife decided to have the Snow Mountain Roll. We both decided on some unsweetened iced teas for our drinks.

The Tempura appetizer has shrimp as well as assorted vegetables. The shrimp were good but I couldn't identify the vegetables; all I tasted was the batter. My rolls were presented beautifully on the plate and wee a nice combination of eel, cucumber, avocado and caviar in a tasty sauce. Liz's rolls were shrimp tempura with cucumber, lobster salad and caviar.

The food here was quite good and I must say the service was spot on. I do like my local sushi place better and it has less of a bar scene which we enjoy.

White Plains

by keeper7

White Plains, situated only 25 miles north of Manhattan. The land White Plains now occupies, first settled by New England colonists who bought it from the Mohican Indians in 1683 - has been a focal point in the history of New York State and the nation.

The White Plains Armory on South Broadway stands on the site of the original County Courthouse where, on July 11, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was read publicly in New York State for the first time. This historical event supports the claim that White Plains is the birthplace of the State of New York. George Washington later established headquarters here, and the Battle of White Plains marked a turning point in the struggle for independence.

In 1778, White Plains became county seat of Westchester by legislative act. On April 3, 1866, White Plains became an incorporated village and in 1916, the Village was incorporated as a City.

The Weckquaeskeck tribe, members of the Mohican nation, who had lived on the land in harmony with nature and its creatures, called their home Quarropas. The name was descriptive of the fogs that hung above the swamplands and remained suspended for days on end like a white opaque blanket. Translated, Quarropas means the white marshes or the white plains.

Comments