BreakAway Inn

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Asheville

Asheville, NCAsheville, NC

Garden & the Conservatory, Biltmore House, 05-04Garden & the Conservatory, Biltmore House, 05-04

Stain Glass Windows - All Souls ChurchStain Glass Windows - All Souls Church

Biltmore GardensBiltmore Gardens

Food in Asheville

by chuck95

Does anyone know if there are good "New York Style" bagels and/or pizza in Asheville?

Re: Food in Asheville

by shoileygal

Yes, Boston Pizza on Merrimon Avenue on the north end of town is the best pizze I've ever had....and I've had pizze in NY, Chicago, Atlanta. As a matter of fact, the restaurants in Asheville on a whole are excellent compared to most tourist towns of that size.

Travel Tips for Asheville

we receive just enough snow to satisfy my needs.

by americanwildchild

I am from Wisconsin, originally, and as a child had my fill of snow. I certainly do like it, and find a desire these days to head to the Cascades and play in it. Living in the east, however, it is more icy than powder. Driving these mountains during the snowfalls is extremely dangerous, as the roads are not regularly salted down, and the sleet and freezing rain cover the pavement in an ice sheet.

It is not uncommon in the Appalacians to wake up to kids playing on their sleds or having snowball fights in the morning, and by afternoon, taking their coats off and busting out a skateboard or basketball...maybe even a bicycle. It rarely lasts.

They take care of downtown now!

by matcrazy1

I've visited quite many smaller towns and cities in the South and western + southwestern part of the USA. Many of them are sweet, but some are rundown and remain neglected for years. I was told that Asheville had its golden age in 1890 - 1929 (stock exchange crash) but then economic growth in Asheville was very slow. Let me quote one local I was talking to: Asheville was a mountain, hidden city far from state center and forgotten by God. It started to change in 1980' and even more in 1990'. I could see the results.

It seems that Asheville grows now quite fast and both locals and local government take a lot of care of historic city downtown. Strolling around downtown I've seen even back streets lined with green trees with renovated and painted houses along. Add some small architecture like colorful murals or little sculptures put on sidewalks. And despite numerous and different visitors downtown Asheville is clean. Look at my 5 pictures. Now I wish Asheville to add more colours and smile to streets off downtown. Good luck!

Skateboarding

by b1bob

To deal with the complaints about children skateboarding on city streets, local businesses built a skate park. The skate park was well-used when I was there, but kids still were doing it on the sidewalks in town. A skateboard, some knee pads, and a helmet.

Carl Sandburg Home in Flat Rock

by matcrazy1

There was no vacancy for my second night in Asheville. Therefore I had to drive south to South Carolina. The next morning on the way back driving US-25 as soon as I noticed large direction sign: Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site I followed it and I was lucky to discover one of the most beautiful places in North Carolina - a place of silence, peace, beautiful lake, fresh mountain air, pretty trees in fall colours - where I was also lucky to get to know more about life of a famous American poet and his family, to see how he lived and to take time to smell roses.

Carl August Sandburg (1878 - 1967) was an American poet, historian, novelist, balladeer and folklorist, born in Illinois from Swedish parents. At age 67 his family moved from the Midwest to the Connemara estate, in Flat Rock, North Carolina. Wow! This beautiful, peaceful hilly area with pretty lake surrounded by trees in fall colours really amazed me. The Sandburg's white house on a top of a hill overlooks mountains up and meadows below. I enjoyed a short but interesting guided house tour as well as a stroll around the property with barns, farmyard, animals grazing etc.

Lots of Beer on tap

by TimDaoust about Barley's Taproom and Pizzeria

I regret to say we didn't try any of the pizza here but I hear it's good. The main thing I have to say about this place is that they have so many beers on tap my head was spinning. 24 taps downstairs and 19 upstairs, and a lot are locally made in NC. They have live jazz and other music at least three nights a week and upstairs, there are about four pool tables several dartboards and a few foosball tables. We found ourselves playing foosball after a short time of drinking. At the time I was there, in early fall, they had the Catawba River Pumpkin Ale which was pretty amazing. I'm going to make it back here sometime to try the food.

Comments