Comfort Inn West

Comfort Inn Biltmore West
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Booking.com

More about Asheville

grove arcadegrove arcade

Brochure of one of the mountain retreatsBrochure of one of the mountain retreats

von.otter with Biltmore House, May 2004von.otter with Biltmore House, May 2004

yeah, D could be a southern belleyeah, D could be a southern belle

The "Packet"

by PhoenixLynn

I'm considering moving to Asheville. I've never been there before, yet I've heard great things about it. I was born and raised in Florida (where I currently reside) and I lived in Ithaca, NY. Ithaca is a beautiful progressive town, yet coooooooooooooold. I feel Asheville would be a great move and a wonderful place to raise my son (and I hear the weather is mild). I ordered a packet through the Chamber of Commerce and I'm disappointed. It seems the housing there is quite expensive. Maybe they just put the more expensive housing in the packet to draw that type of person to Asheville? It's the suburban neighborhoods like "The Oak" or "The Sanctuary" where they cut down almost all the trees I want to escape from. I strive to live as natural as possible, grow most of my own food including sprouting. Heck, even make biodiesel in my garage! I'm just bummed by ths package. Of course, I'll go visit and get a feel for myself. Is there housing there for under $100K for a 3 bd/ 2 bath on 1 acre?? I hear W. Asheville. But what towns? Thanks. =)

RE: The "Packet"

by rowpatton

Hi there. I also moved from Fl so we were surprised at the prices for housing. I have my Broker's license in NC - so I went on a did a quick search for you on the MLS. Here's a few properties for you to look through - hope it helps to give you an idea of what's available. The weather is mild in the summer (although there are days when it gets HOT!) and the winters are not too bad. We might get a few snows but they don't tend to sit. Here's the link- http://wncrmls.com/wnc/maildoc/d0049y5215.html

Travel Tips for Asheville

A place to reflect

by acemj

I love driving the two hours from Charlotte to Asheville and spending time in the fresh mountain air. The town is smaller and so much different than Charlotte, that it's refreshing and gives me a different perspective of the world. Best of all, there are so many places you can go within a half hour of Asheville where you can alone in nature and take your time to reflect on things.

Hippies galore

by b1bob

I had the idea that Asheville, like most communities in western North Carolina, was fairly conservative. However, I learned that there are a lot of liberal scholars from the University of North Carolina in Asheville and an even more leftish student proletariat. I thought Mark had taken a wrong turn from Biltmore and we wound up in San Francisco.

Cooler in the mountains

by b1bob

Whenever you travel to Asheville, count on it being 15° (8°C) cooler there than in, say, Charlotte. In the summer, that's a good thing. In the other 3 seasons, it may mean you will have to add one more layer of clothing. If the gardens on the Biltmore Estate is on your Asheville itinerary, bring a 35mm camera and lots and lots of film.

River Rock Slide at Pisgah...

by Beachdave

River Rock Slide at Pisgah National Forest, Brevard, NC. This a is beautiful drive. It is located south of Asheville off I-26 near the town of Brevard.. You can get in a cold mountain stream in whatever clothing you chose including bathing suit and slide down a smooth river rock into the coldest naural deep water pool that you can imagine. It is great. Make sure that you wear shoes.The rocks can get rough at times. They have observation platforms for people who do not partake and also have a lifeguard. It is run by the US Park Service and there is a small fee.

Ostrich, anyone?

by b1bob about Bistro 1896

Located in Pack Square, murals show old images of the city 100 years earlier. Jazz was playing on the loudspeaker. Real candles were on the wall surrounded by an ornate bracket. We got there at the perfect time, 5.30 pm. A half an hour later and we maybe would have been able to eat on the cafe outdoors. As the sun was setting, it was fixing to get chilly. For an appetiser, both Mark and I had fried green tomatoes garnished with shrimp, feta cheese, country ham, cream, Cajun spice, in what I call Henri sauce (named after Chef Jamie Henri). For the entree, I had wild mushroom and roasted pepper pasta, containing cremini, shiitake and portabella mushrooms tossed with spinach and sun dried tomatoes in a roasted garlic gorganzola red wine reduction. Mark had ostrich in a cognac demi-glace and a sweet potato puree. The sweet potato puree is the ONLY thing that deterred me from ordering the ostrich dish. Mark and I debated on dessert. I had a flourless chocolate cake- an individual chocolate cake with port wine ice cream and raspberry and orange compote. Mark had bread pudding with honey ice cream and white chocolate creme anglais. The food and ambience were great, but, because they try too hard.

Comments