Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Asheville

845 Brevard Rd., Asheville, North Carolina, 28806, United States
Country Inn & Suites Asheville at Biltmore Square
CountryInns.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Asheville

sante wine barsante wine bar

Prize goats on the run at the FarmPrize goats on the run at the Farm

Garden gazeboGarden gazebo

counter culture shopping in Ashevillecounter culture shopping in Asheville

Possible move to Asheville

by bludaizie

I noticed there have already been a few postings about moving to Asheville however, I may be a bit diff then what I saw on here.

A little about me: I have lived in Atlanta for the past 4 yrs before that I roamed around after college living a bit of a gyspy life style. Currently 29 yr old female and thinking of moving to Asheville. I am up in the mtns every weekend b/c I enjoy the outdoors A LOT as well as an avid kayaker in which I have decided why not move up there which seems to be a perfect fit for me. I have visited a few times and spent last weekend up there feeling out the city and have some questions.

I understand that Asheville is a small city but can you tell me how is the city life, the night life as well as people being out and about in the evenings, i'm more of a dinner/drinks type of girl more then clubbing it fyi? I def have a LARGE hippy side to me however, I do also enjoy 'some' main stream stuff as well at times, how welcoming is this community? Does the community tend to be you are either this or you are that, you're a straight hippy or you're a main streamer.. black/white type of thing? I am a person who loves an erray of things and would love to find a place w/similar style hince I have not found that in Atlanta. What can I expect to pay for a 1 bedrm lets say 1000 sq ft apt in downtown, are there even places downtown to live? Also, I have noticed it seems like a good bit of Asheville people are coupled up, is there a single scene there as well or are most people here to settle w/their little families leaving it mostly impossible to meet other singles in my age range? Any thoughts/ideas would be great! Thanks!!

by travelmad478

If this is Asheville NC you are talking about (sorry, I can't tell from the query), you should be pretty happy in Asheville. My BF lived there for three years in his early 30s and really loved the town for its arts scene, restaurants/bars, and access to the outdoors. (In fact he is good friends with some people who work at a kayaking center nearby.) We went down there for a visit about six months ago and I thought it was pretty cool too--we hung out with a lot of his friends, who were sort of an "all ages" crowd. Very nice folks, and no, they were not all married. We went out to several fairly lively places, but they weren't anything like nightclubs or meat-market bars.

As far as the singles scene goes, I can't say, since I have not asked much about my BF's dating life before he met me! :-)

RE: RE: Possible move to Asheville

by bludaizie

thank you for your response. and yes i was talking about asheville nc. i am definitely not looking for a meat market type of place i get that enough in atlanta. i'm just looking for a place w/all ages and in all situations type of people not more of one or the other i suppose. i do believe asheville would be a great fit for me just trying to collect as much info as possible before taking the plunge. man i trully have grown up a bit, before i would have just moved then figured it all out, my how things change. thanks again! and no i wouldnt expect you'd ask alot about your bf's single days. ha! thanks again!! :)

by jimwebster

My wife and I met some old friends several weekends ago for the weekend in Asheville. And I have to say that for my first real visit there, we both really enjoyed it! The downtown area is something like what downtowns in the US should be like. Alive. There were shops, art galleries, and bars galore. And it was a real treat walking in and out of downtown shops browsing at 10:00pm. And the sidewalks in general were filled with people at that hour. Wow! I think that if I ever get the opportunity to spend some real time in Asheville, I would definitely take advantage of it.

by Deborahtnc

I have gone to Asheville many times over the ladt 10 years as I live about an hour away. I would move there in a heartbeat. I think there are many different types of people there and they all seem pretty accepting of one another. There is a big gay/lesbian crowd. The drummers are black and white. So are artists and dancers. The music scene is awesome. It is easy to meet people. You don't say what you do for a living but if you don't meet people through work, there are tons of organizations to join, art classes, dance grouups...you name it. Volunteer for Bele Chere. Volunteer for LEAF. I think there is a great single scene. Join a bicycle group or a running group...always full of lots of guys and gals who are into hiking etc. Good luck getting a place downtown. It is turning upscale condo. West Asheville is your best bet. I always see lots of notices for roommates and houses to share. Or move to Weaverville, or Arden or Swannanoa and commute.

Travel Tips for Asheville

Campus on a hill

by KaiM

A little bit north of downtown Asheville is the campus of the University of North Carolina at Asheville. The campus is located on a hill and surrounded by trees. Just take a walk across the area. It´s nice. UNC Asheville (www.unca.edu) is a state-funded four-year university with approximately 3,250 students. Their athletic teams called Bulldogs compete in the Big South Conference (NCAA Div. I).

Diversity in fashion

by matcrazy1

People I could meet and watch in downtown Asheville were dressed in many different styles from elegant, business costumes and suits (locals running to work) through casual clothes (jeans + T-shirts - visitors) up to less or more odd or interesting (choose what you want) fashion of numerous subcultures including:
- long-haired hippies wearing colorful, multi-ethnic clothing and jewelry,
- punks wearing leather rocker jackets ((often painted with band logos and decorated in studs) and skateboarding shoes with pins and razor blades as jewelry,
- rave men and boys wearing Phat pants, Hoodies and Tank Tops and rave women and girls wearing tight tops, high heels and stockings wearing tight tops, high heels and stockings - all in bright raibow colours.

Packing List

by Jimmy7000

Any thick bag. The average temperature is 53.2 Fahrenheit. So I would recommend some coats if you are going in January, or thin clothes if you are going in the summer. Not much. You should maybe have a fork incase of a car accident.Don't put it in your glove box. Get your camera and go. Get at least 9 packs of film. Stay in in January.(UNLESS you like subzero temps) Go out from April to September.

Do NOT skip Biltmore Inn

by matcrazy1

The Biltmore Inn, the four stars hotel and the only accommodation at the Biltmore Estate is skipped by most visitors to the estate. That's why I include it in the off the beaten path category. You may stay there if you can spend over $200 - $400 (depends on a season) per night for two people. If not, like me, do stop and visit its impressive interiors and gardens around. You will be welcome by a smiling doorman opening doors leading to the lobby :-).

I didn't like the building exterior. They should create something more old-fashionable in style in such place, I think. But the spacious lobby bar designed in style of the early 20th century really impressed me. I liked especially the stone wall with two fireplaces and a lot of space around and above me. Add that smiling doorman dressed in a suit opening entrance door for you :-) I also liked gardens with some wooden passages and garden structures covered by climbing plants.

Eat great, even late (and NOT at Wendy's)

by wanderlust... about Tupelo Honey Cafe

They describe their food as "down home cooking with an uptown twist"--a nice pithy slogan. But I can say no more than the squeaks of absolute joy that I elicit when I eat there. And the puddles of drool really speak for themselves. I mean, Fried Green Tomatoes on Goat Cheese Grits, until FOUR in the morning???? Can it GET any better? I shiver just thinking about it. Not to mention the best damn home fries EVER. Sweet Potatoe Pancakes, Blueberry Blintzes, GRITS, homemade biscuits with honey (no, it's not all breakfast food--I'm just a breakfast fan)

Comments