201 Tunnel Road, Asheville, North Carolina, 28805, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Asheville

Fishing with whitewatersportsman.com: Asheville,NCFishing with whitewatersportsman.com: Asheville,NC

Flat Rock, NC (Carl Sandberg Home)Flat Rock, NC (Carl Sandberg Home)

A lion guards Biltmore’s entrance, May 2004A lion guards Biltmore’s entrance, May 2004

Chimney Rock, NCChimney Rock, NC

by CoralStar

Hi I would love to visit Asheville this summer for a few months and wondered if there are any long term volunteering opportunities there for non US citizens or employers that would consider hiring international applicants? I am Irish and would love to live or work or volunteer in America but it seems like an impossible task! If you are a student you can get a J1 Visa but if not its very difficult. I am in my 30s and already have 2 University degrees so no longer a student. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Otherwise it will just be a holiday but would absolutely love a summer job there!

Re: Irish female interested in volunteering or working in Asheville this summer - Any ideas?

by jonellis

Try http://www.aupairinamerica.com

by jonellis

Another way might be to take out a advertisement in a newspaper in Ashville or close by City to offer your services for Au Pair. Any other job requires work Visa. For Au Pair, one comes into the USA under visa waiver as tourist which is restricted to 90 days. There is a provision in US codes for Au Pair, but I do not know all about it except I know many people do it, formally or informally.

by bocmaxima

In the Southwest, the National Park Service has volunteer opportunities open to foreigners where they provide housing. I'm fairly certain they have something like this in the Asheville region as well, especially since you have not only Great Smokey Mountains National Park, but also the Blue Ridge Parkway, which falls under the NPS bureaucratic umbrella.
I believe this is the program: http://www.nps.gov/oia/topics/ivip/ivip.htm
I met a couple of French members of it in a bar in Flagstaff a few years ago and became interested in it.

by osoeno

If you can afford to just holiday here why dont you just get here and then look around? Asheville is magical in the summer party season and if you want some way to pass your time constructively you will find something.

For volunteering I would think of Habitat for Humanity and Elida Homes, but there are others.

Im guessing that a person like you with enough gumption to stay a Summer on a different continent might enjoy serving people in one of our many restaurants or microbreweries. I wouldnt know about the formalities involved, but I would think it might be fun to make a few friends at work and meet a lot of people.

Travel Tips for Asheville

the new "freak" capital of the US

by richiecdisc

Asheville is known to most as the gateway to the Biltmore Estate but for me it's just a very cool town with great Art Deco architecture, a counter culture feel, a bustling music scene and one very can't miss pub in Jack of the Wood. Driving to Ashville for the second time was an exhilarating feeling. The first time had been as well but it was 12 years earlier and wrought with anticipation on finding a new utopia to call home. It wasn’t and I didn’t. This foray was merely for fun and represented a small portion of an already too short trip that my wife and I would have alone, being framed by visits to good old friends in Myrtle Beach and Georgia. My expectations where not nearly as high as on my virgin trip to what Rolling Stone has hailed the new ‘freak capital.” I knew a funky little town with lots of pubs and live music nestled into the Blue Ridge Mountains awaited us and I looked forward to exploring a new brewpub I’d read about but aside from that I was happy to wander the streets and show a new place to a new love that had not been in my life on my first trip.

We arrived later and hungrier than planned only to find the planned brewpub lunch stop not quite open. With only a five minute wait we did it right there and must have appeared ravenous beer groupies on entering a hallowed shrine after waiting what seemed an eternity. It was a great old wooden pub that recalled the best of Ireland with a funky counter culture twist sprinkled with a pinch of southern flair. We sat right at the bar which I love doing at brewpubs so I can speak with the bartender who I hope has some knowledge of beer. We were in luck and our man was not only in the know about beer but the town as well with a heavy dose of an entertaining personality as a bonus. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

Asheville is a great little...

by erin79

Asheville is a great little hippie town! Reading the local paper gave me an idea about the sense of community and activism that the people have in Asheville. Overall I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the whole town.

Dragon, Michaelmas and the Fall Fair

by matcrazy1

I was very surprised or better to say dissapointed when I saw large, 15-feet long, costume of dragon in the Biltmore House. Its bright colours completely didn't fit to elegant interiors of the residence.

Well, I got to know that this four-person puppet is used to fight against one-person "hobby-horse" puppet symbolizing Saint George in weekends September through October. Do you know the tale of Saint George and the dragon? If not, open and read my picture 2. The dragon versus Saint George fight is a part of so called "Michaelmas": an English Harvest Fair. " Michaelmas" is a traditional English harvest celebration following in a custom honoring the feast day of the Archangel Saint Michael.

The first Fall Fair in the Estate took place in 1905. Now, the Fall Fair is called Harvest Home Celebration and takes place anually in September and October Friday through Sunday.

Skytop Orchards in Zirconia

by TimDaoust

We took about a 45 minute drive to the south of Asheville to tour the apple orchard in Zirconia and pick apples. A fun time was had by all. You just go in and get a basket of your desired size and fill it up and pay on the way out. They serve hot cider here, cider slushies, and oh, the best apple cider donuts, in fact, the only apple cider donuts I have ever had. $6 for ten of them. Can't beat that.

They have about 25 varieties of apple trees too so you're getting a huge variety of apples to choose from. Granted, this all depends on the time of the season during which you visit. Some apple trees were picked bare and others were under ripe. They also have Asian Pears and Peaches among other things.

A 'sitting area' inside the Inn

by bdbrewer

To give you some idea of the sumptiousness and elegance inside the Inn at Biltmore Estates, here is Barbara enjoying a peaceful moment with a grand view of the mountains. You can have a glass of wine here, work, it has it's own library, etc.

Comments