Holiday Inn Express Asheville

234 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, North Carolina, 28803, United States
GuestHouse International Inn
Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Asheville

st. lawrence basilicast. lawrence basilica

Banquest HallBanquest Hall

Biltmore House dominates the grounds, May 2004Biltmore House dominates the grounds, May 2004

Buncombe County Court HouseBuncombe County Court House

Spring Weekend in Asheville

by hadleybe

Hello, My longtime friend and I are planning a weekend reunion, meeting in Asheville. Looking for suggestions regarding best areas to stay that will allow us to walk, sip drinks or beer at cafe restaurant or pub, browse shops featuring work of local folk artists, hear some live folk music, acoustic guitar, etc. Would the Urban Trail be our destination? Or the Arcade Grove?(unable to access website to look at this area) Any other ideas? And can anyone suggest a hotel or B&B located within walking distance to these areas? Moderate priced (maximum $150/night). Looking more for a liberal, quaint area rather than urban yuppie, if that makes sense. Not terribly interested in fancy malls, for example. Would prefer a room with two beds which might rule out B&Bs but would like to hear of suggestions anyway. I'm looking into a performance at the Orange Peel one night. Are there hotels near there? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Re: Spring Weekend in Asheville

by rbowenspecialfinds

Hello,

You sound like you would be spending your time in the downtown area. YOu mentioned the orange Peel and it is situated within 1/4 to 1/2 mile of everything that you would basically like to do.

There is art to look at, plenty of bars and places to dine, there are pastry shops and such. It is just a neat place to be and in the warm months of the year it is HOPPING all the time with people and such. Grove Arcade is within this area as well.

I have lived here all of my life, so I am pretty much aware of the area and I frequently talk to and help folks from out of town as I work in the real estate business.

Hopes this helps

Ricky Bowen

www.specialfinds.com

THe renaissance motel is also within walking distance of these areas. you can go online at www.renaissanceuk.com and find out more information.

Re: Spring Weekend in Asheville

by magnolia4

There aren't many places within walking distance of the city itself which is odd, considering how popular the city is. Don't stay at the Days Inn downtown. I gave it two tries because of where it is but it's rundown, dirty and despite it's excellent location, very questionable. I'm not faint of heart and I really wanted it to work, but if you don't want to bring bedbugs home, forget it. Maybe a bed and breakfast site will find you something within walking distance. Good luck.

Travel Tips for Asheville

virtually unchanged since the Great Depression

by richiecdisc

We ordered two Sheppard’s Pies and two of the house brewed beers. The latter were a bit too cold for their styles but it was very hot out so all was forgiven and they managed to warm up before we polished them off. My Golden Ale was a lightly hopped version of an English session ale that mimicked the style well though seemed to be missing something I could not put a finger on. Doreen’s porter fared much better. I was on a tasty ESB by the time the food arrived. The meals were tasty but smaller than anticipated so we ordered a cheese plate for desert and I settled into a cask version of their hoppy IPA.

Our barman explained they would be having an Irish folk band in the early evening and that there was an inexpensive motel up the street. We ventured off to explore the town on foot and enjoyed an array of Art Deco architecture seemingly unchanged since the Great Depression. It was Sunday and the streets were empty and little was open so we soon found ourselves at the suggested motel enquiring about a room the night. It was pricier than we wanted to pay and Doreen suggested going back to the pub and letting me have a few more beers while we enjoyed the band and she some home brewed sweet tea, a true southern specialty. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Friendly locals

by b1bob

The doorman is paid to be friendly and open the door for people. Even the gatekeeper to the Inn at the Biltmore Estate was very nice to us even though we didn't look like guests and came there to take photos.

Beautiful details

by acemj

Take a stroll through Asheville and you'll find beautiful architecture, from the Gothic Edwin Wiley Grove Arcade to the impressive City Hall and the Basilica of St. Lawrence. This photo is of the top of the Carriage House at the Biltmore Estate.

The Best Ticket to Biltmore

by bobblefrog

If you are budget and value minded - and here in the summer? Oh you HAVE to do one of their evening concerts on the - um porch - or something like that. It's not a porch - it holds 1200 people off of the estate library with room to spare! We went and saw Roberta Flack there a few summers ago - and I cannot tell you. Want to pretend you are Fitzgerald? Wear khakis or dress to the nines, bring your own picnic blanket, hamper and wine and spend the first part of the evening picnicing like a true aristocrat on the estate lawn (1200 people on grounds that large? you'll have all the romantic privacy you want) and then watch the sun set over the most spectacular view of the mountains while you sip champagne...and then enjoy great music. Mostly band and swing and jazz, but they sometimes have more traditional blues, country and even rock performers.

I say budget/value - because the tickets are around $85 per person - but it's worth every bit of it on the sheer romance, luxury, life is really good scale!

Great Biltmore wine :-)

by matcrazy1 about Biltmore Wine Shop

This large and pretty designed self-service wine store is located in the Biltmore Winery and offers white, rose, white and sparkling wine produced at place from a variety of grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot and Viognier.

Biltmore wine is unavailable abroad. Even in the USA it is not easy to find and exclusively in some states. I tasted one kind of wine in the store (from plastic little cups) and many more kinds in the seperate, large tasting room (go there first).

There are also gourmet chocolates, coffees, condiments, and recipes on stock.

I bought three bottles of Biltmore white wine (Chardonnay) I had already tasted and asked about in the tasting room.

I got to know that it was aged some half a year and fermented in oak barrels. The other Chardonnay - less expensive and much worse in my opinion - wasn't oak-aged. Did it make the difference? I surely asked and got to know that it's possible but apart from that about half the wine I bought went through malo-lactic fermentation which made significant difference in taste.

Buying three bottles I've got special gift pack and saved 10%. So, I paid about $12 per bottle. It's a reasonable price for very good wine, I think.

Comments