Homewood Suites Asheville Tunnel Road

Booking.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

More about Homewood Suites Asheville Tunnel Road

DISGUSTED!

by TripAdvisor Member sadie102

After getting engaged at the end of June, my fiance and I decided to start making our honeymoon plans early. We decided that since we were getting married just outside of Asheville we should stay at one of Asheville's most prestigious hotels. We booked with the Homewood Suites at the beginning of July for our wedding night on December 16.

Every month or so I would call and make sure that we still had our reservation. Every time they assured me that I definitely had a room (the king suite with a jacuzzi tub). After arriving in Asheville on Friday (we live in Atlanta), I had someone follow me to the hotel so I could leave my car in their parking lot. This way our vehicle would be there Saturday night when our limo dropped us off. I went inside to let them know I was leaving my car and to again check on our room. They said that they were looking so forward to having us stay there on our wedding night and even asked if we would still be dressed in our wedding attire. I couldn't wait to spend the first night with my husband in this hotel.

The wedding was great, we got out of our limo and put our things onto a trolley. The men at the counter must have seen us in our wedding clothes pushing our luggage through the front door. You would think they would have been expecting us to come in and expecting the reaction we would have. I approached the counter I excitedly told them that I was there to check in and they responded with a simple "nope. we're booked."

THEY OVERBOOKED THE NIGHT OF OUR WEDDING.

So, instead of putting us in a room comparable to the one that I had wanted to spend my wedding night in - they gave us a regular room at the HAMPTON INN.

We did not leave there without letting everyone in that lobby know how upset we were. This is such a disgrace. I am insulted and disgusted that anyone would treat us with this must disrespect.

Please do not give this hotel your business!!!

Comfy rooms and nice views

by TripAdvisor Member girlsroadtrip

My daughters and I had spent three nights in Raleigh (see seperate review of Embassy Suites) and I was just a bit too tired to make the drive through the mountains at night, so we took a chance on this hotel in Ashville.

Because it is a few miles from the Biltmore the rates are more reasonable; also it is low season. It is a lovely property with friendly staff. We found the room spacious and comfortable, great beds/linens. We asked for a high floor with mountain view and they gladly accomodated us.

The only downside was this being a Saturday night the chain restaurants in the area were booked to overflowing. The hotel does not have food service. I can't imagine how crowded it must be here in tourist season. My suggestion, check out the Mall it is a few miles down the road and the food court had lots of choices and no lines. Then it was back to the hotel and the pool. My girls couldn't wait to use the pool. We always look for a heated indoor pool and hot tub, this did not dissapoint and it was warm, clean with lots of towels.

The suite design is excellent if you are traveling with children. The breakfast had good choices for even picky eatters.

Not what I expected for the price

by TripAdvisor Member greenjacket1234

I am a Hilton traveler through-and-through, but was dissapointed in this hotel. It is fairly new with great ammenities such as an indoor pool and DVD players in the rooms, but the breakfast wasn't the best and the service was absolutely the worst I've had in a long time.

I would recommend this hotel for those in town on business who will just be using the room as a place to crash and chill. However, the staff does not have that "Hilton touch" I've come to expect.

Clean, well-equipped extended-stay hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Cool_librarian

I stayed in a one-bedroom suite on the ground floor at the back of the hotel. Even though I-240 is just below the parking lot (out of sight), the soundproofing made me forget that it was there.

The hotel is located in an area that is convenient to downtown as well as dozens of chain stores and restaurants in the area. Biltmore Estate is about a 10-minute drive.

My room featured a living area, separate bedroom, and a small kitchen. The hotel is undergoing renovations (which stayed out of sight and sound the entire time), and I think mine was one of the newly renovated rooms. Everything looked and felt brand new and of good quality from the granite countertops to the plush bedding. The desk chair didn't seem new, though, and it was definitely not ergonomic. It was not comfortable enough to work in for more than an hour.

The breakfast was so-so. The eggs were usually cold and dry, but there were enough other options so that I didn't miss them. Dinner was better and not as "light" as I expected. It was definitely a meal rather than a snack, which was great. A typical meal would be sweet 'n' sour chicken, rice with vegetables, salad bar, dessert, and beverage (beer, wine, soft drinks, tea, or water). Chicken nuggets and French fries were also available. Seven meals rotated, so you could stay here a week and not eat the same thing twice. As an alternative, dozens of chain restaurants are nearby, and many unique restaurants are just a few minutes away downtown.

Service was friendly and efficient. My first housekeeper was phenomenal. She washed my dishes (which I didn't expect) and left a delightful handwritten note for me. My second housekeeper wasn't nearly as thorough and pressured me to fill out a comment card about her. The comment cards are everywhere and include staff members' names, whether it be the housekeeper, breakfast, or dinner staff. It seems there are some perks to getting guests to fill these out.

Overall, I was pleased with my stay and would most certainly stay here again. The quality and service are better than many chains and a bit above a typical three-star hotel.

Flawless single night stay with family

by TripAdvisor Member DyerMaker

Conceptually I'm a fan of the Homewood chain for family travel. Kids in one place, mom and dad in their room...different bedtimes...upscale enough for kids, not too posh that you have to leave them back at home. But not all can come through. Certainly not like this one.

It's currently undergoing room remodeling. The Hilton website noted this in advance. But I had forgotten all about until I walked out of the room on Saturday to take my daughter down to the pool and the room across was open (see picture). I did notice a light smell of spackling paste later on. But there was no noise and twice I had to stay to my side of the hall as workers carried 10 gallon buckets of paint and other supplies into rooms they were working on. That's the extent of the interference/inconvenience that I encountered.

This property is incredibly clean. I entered an elevator and saw a woman polishing the control panel. While at the pool, a staff member came in and replaced a stack of perfectly clean, folded towels with warm, freshly laundered towels.

The staff was terrific. It was unusual, but not unsettling, to have all the staff -- as well as the remodeling workers I saw -- to look us in the eye and say in a cheery voice "Good morning!" or "How are you today?" You were left with the impression that anyone you met had the willingness -- if not fully empowered -- to do whatever you needed to make your stay enjoyable.

The room we were in was slightly smaller than the typical Homewood room we're used to...but it was far from cramped. Cozy is a better word. Wireless internet access is available, but I had to process a transaction and they provided me with a loaner ethernet cable to connect that way from my room.

The breakfast was the usual Homewood breakfast buffet experience. The morning we were there was much more crowded than I had expected for a Saturday in March in Asheville, but the staff was plentiful...and food was replenished and tables were cleared and wiped quickly by several people.

There's one piece of advice for those first coming to this property. You will be told to drive around back to the main parking lot. You should know that the entrance closest to the elevators is at the far end of the lot. It will be obvious because the cars will be parked toward that end, but I ignored that telling clue and parked closer to the front desk...thinking that's where we'd find the elevator.

Oh, and there's a rather nice gas grill in the back with a concrete deck looking back at the "mountain" behind the hotel. For those on an extended stay, I suppose it would be nice to use that once every now and then. Who knows what the rules are for using it, but it looks very new and well kept.

Fantastic stay!

by TripAdvisor Member NChotelsnob

We just returned from a quick stay in Asheville and decided on this hotel because we have a 2-yr old daughter and wanted more space. The hotel is just a year old and still looks brand new. The suites are tastefully decorated, the beds are comfortable, the kitchen is outfitted with a microwave, fridge and stovetop - what more could you want? The buffet breakfast was tastefully laid out and there was a lot of variety. And there is an indoor pool for people who may want to swim in the winter.

Overall - terrific hotel, very nice staff, and clean.

Great Hotel, Not-So-Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member amooreNorthCarolina

The Homewood Suites by Hilton in Asheville is a great hotel, but the location is not all that great. It's off a busy intersection far from anything of any interest. Even the views were so, so. We will probably not stay at this hotel again, simply because of the cost vs. the location.

With that said, the hotel room was beautiful and comfortable. Everything was very clean, spacious and quiet. The front desk girl was about 18 yrs. old and didn't look anyone in the eye. She just seemed incompetent.

Plus (+)
- down bedding
- lots of clean, soft pillows
- spacious bedroom & bathroom
- ceiling fan in bedroom
- seperate sitting room w/ tv
- great morning breakfast
- quiet
- nice foyer/ eating area

Negative (-)
- location
- front desk service
- no matress cover
- price

Loved the Homewood Located 5 Min From Hip Downtown Asheville!

by TripAdvisor Member atvlagt

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at this hotel. The room was almost brand new and sparkling clean. The staff was also courteous and helpful. I spoke with the woman at the front desk that the last reviewer unkindly labeled as "incompetent". How rude. She actually had quite a bit of experience in the hotel industry ,and was just hired from Hyatt. I noticed she was training with one of the managers and I spoke with her. I have been in the travel industry for 21 years and would have to say this is one of the best properties I have ever stayed in. (and I have spent time in some of the best hotels in North America and abroad). Contrary to the last review; this property is on the edge of downtown Asheville. It's about a 10 minute drive. If you visit this area, and neglect to go downtown you are missing out! We are from Atlanta; and were impressed with how safe and convienent Asheville was. The hotel offers a free local shuttle which their employees operate. However the parking in the public decks was cheap or free. The area abounds in locally owned wonderful restaurants, which source their food from surrounding farms. We thoroughly enjoyed the Early Girl. The beer at Jack of the Wood is the best we've ever tasted. (sorry no bottling operation) Everyone was pleasant and friendly. Asheville has a vibrant and diverse art community; which makes a downtown stroll as interesting as any city we have visited-from San Fran to Chicago and beyond! If you only see the Biltmore, and eat in a chain restaurant with its commissary microwaved food, when you visit, you are sadly missing out!

WATCH OUT Grove Park!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Bretticus25

We are checking out of this hotel tomorrow. We went on the reviews of Tripadvisor.com and we are 100 percent satisfied with our stay. We have a 7 month old child, and we were apprehensive with travel with her for the first time. However, at this Homewood Suites, there is a separate living room area, where we put our daughter in her pack and play, and the quiet nature and location of the hotel, as well as soundproofing, are very evident, as all three of us slept well, without unnecessary noise. We also enjoyed staying at a clean, comfortable, spacious hotel, with a great indoor swimming pool that is adequately heated and well-lit. The hotel feels safe to be in. The bed is comfortable. We actually used the dishwasher, and used the freezer/refrigerator, essential for travel with an infant. The breakfast was very nice. We paid $152 per night, staying the week before Memorial Day (May 20-23). We will definitely be staying here again someday, if we come here again to enjoy the parkway and get away and shop. By the way, we were actually swayed against staying at the Grove Park Inn by what appears to be their lowering room standards. We have never been impressed with hotels that are just good names without the rooms to back up the price paid. We went there to the Grove Park, nonetheless, and toured the beautiful lobby, and saw what we really wanted to see. I do not feel that any hotel in town offers better accomodations for the price than Homewood Suites. I simply can not justify paying more for any "better" hotel, nor can I justify paying any less for those hotels that would certainly be worse than this. I have done extensive travel, and this reviewer *(a down to earth guy who appreciates a luxurious value) gives this place 5 STARS!!!

Good but not glowing

by TripAdvisor Member anonj

I gave an early, glowing review of this property and am now submitting a new report based on feedback from some relatives:
Room was too warm and thermostat not working properly. Relatives had to sleep covered only with a sheet. Down comforter much too warm. There is a ceiling fan but obviously the hotel has set internal parameters on the thermostat to prevent guests from manipulating the temp beyond what the hotel deems reasonable/economical.
My room last yr was a true 1 bdr suite- very spacious and wonderful- theirs was not a true suite with separate living and sleeping areas which could be closed off- more like a studio or one big room. The price for this studio was a pricey $140.
Asheville is popular year round hence the high prices.
I would consider staying here again if in Asheville but might also see if there are any priceline hotels available or other alternatives.
At these prices, you should be able to cool the room sufficiently and a regular blanket should be available in the summer. There is a super soft synthetic fleece throw in the closet but it would be too small for a couple in a king bed to use.
Some repair work was being done on a floor above them- workers said a previous guest mos. before had heated a massage pack/hot water bottle (?) on the stove, creating smoke and trigging thousands of gallons of water to pour onto the floor below. This expensive repair was in its final stages and should be completed by now.
It is possible that this is the best you can do in Asheville at $140 per night.

Comments