Louisa's Porch Home Stay Bed and Breakfast

56 Cumberland Avenue, Asheville, North Carolina, 28801, United States

More about Asheville

Asheville, NCAsheville, NC

The Blue Ridge Mts., from Biltmore Estate, 05-04The Blue Ridge Mts., from Biltmore Estate, 05-04

Interior of All Souls ChurchInterior of All Souls Church

Biltmore Estate - View from terraceBiltmore Estate - View from terrace

Mosquito/bug problems?

by outsideandhappy

Are there many mosquitoes in Asheville? And/or any other nasty bugs such as ticks, poisonous spiders, or horse flies?

If there are mosquitoes, what times of the year are they the best and worst?

And finally, how do you deal with the bugs, do insect repellents really work? Can you go hiking in the woods without swatting all day?

P.S. We are considering moving to Asheville, but where we live near Santa Fe NM we have no mosquitoes or any other biting insect (well, except for the gnats that appear in the spring for a week, and the rarely seen centipede that has a bite as bad as a bee sting and the secretive black widow spider).

by reeley

I used to get bitten almost all the time, then someone told me a trick that I have used the world over. It really works. 1 week before I travel and on each day I am travelling i take a 1000RDA vitamin B tablet. I have found that I have gone from being bitten almost continually to hardly any bites ever.

I am told that your skin exudes a chemical bi product from the Vitamin B that flying bugs hate. Personally I only know that it really works for me. Another traveller I know said that she gets similar results with garlic tablets. I don't know about that, but the Vitamin B trick really works.

The only side effect seems to be that it turns your urine fluorescent green - but who's looking?

by iluvtrvl

Asheville has mosquitos, snakes, ticks, spiders and horse flies.....but, the beauty of the mountains will make up for it. From spring to frost, the "skeeters" will be out....avoid use of hairspray/gel, perfume, cologne, etc, which attracts them. I prefer Cutter repellent to Off, but I think a lot of it has to do with your own chemical makeup, so you'll just have to see what works for you.

As to ticks, spiders, snakes....when in the woods, keep a watchful eye....the snakes will generally go away from you unless you step on it. Keep your hands/feet protected or out of areas heavily mulched or where you can't see in. Rarely does someone die from bites from any of these, so don't worry about it. When you get to the area, find a local pharmacy (really local not a chain if you can) and talk to them about what works best in the area.

by teddycane

Wow! Yeah, you are in for a shock moving from the west coast to the East Coast. I agree with the two people above Asheville has all these annoying creatures. The summer will obviously be the worst time of year for bugs, and it is going to be a lot more humid than you are used. But, Asheville is a beautiful place, you will enjoy all four seasons. The hiking is fantastic, the winters you can even ski (although a lot different than west coast skiing). Give it a shot!

yup

by fluroyellow

The worst are the chiggas. they live in the mountains. And they crawl under your skin. You get rid of them by putting clear nail polish over the bites, these are there breathing holes and it cuts of the oxygen.

by shoileygal

I lived in Asheville for 15 years. Unless I was camping, I really didn't notice bugs at all....but you must remember, I originally came from Miami. During the time I lived there, the veterinarians did not even recommend Heart Worm medicine for our dogs because there was no mosquito problem. No roaches either! You can avoid ticks and chiggers by spraying yourself and keeping areas covered, but these are only prevalent in the woods during the summer.

Travel Tips for Asheville

Interesting details

by acemj

Here's a look at a marker that let's passersby know that the S&W Cafeteria is a landmark and an important Art Deco building. You can take a historic walking tour of downtown Asheville to acquaint yourself with all of its important sights.

Don't they celebrate Halloween?

by matcrazy1

I was in Asheville some 2 weeks prior to Halloween. Before I had seen quite many Halloween decorations both in small Virginia towns and in Richmond, Virginia. So, I expected to see them in downtown Asheville again.

I was mistaken. I didn't see any pumpkin, even one, in downtown. The only Halloween decoration I saw was a funny dressed human size puppet made of corn and broom and decorated with Christmas lights. It seemed rather unique creation, a bit strange as for Halloween. Well, I've seen some more Halloween decorations in the Biltmore Estate but it was business-oriented, crowded and not authentic place for seeing local folk culture.

Does it mean that Asheville locals don't celebrate Halloween? Do they think that it's a backward tradition which does not fit to trendy and liberal city? Well, say Ruchmond, Virginia doesn't seem to be a backward city in anyway. Does Ashville grow loosing its old tradition of a little mountain town of farmers?

hendersonville

by doug48

hendersonville is a small town located about 20 miles southeast of asheville. hendersonville has a very nice downtown historic district. hendersonville's main street has a collection of shops, restaurants, bars, and two museums. hendersonville is a very worth while side trip when in the asheville area. from downtown asheville take I-40 to I-26 east. on I-26 east exit on to US 64. see my hendersonville pages for more information.

Biltmore Castle from Afar

by bdbrewer

Taken from the Inn at Biltmore Estates. You can see Biltmore Castle on your top left. Gives you some idea of how large this estate is. All of the grounds are maintained in impeccible fashion much like the care given to Disneyworld. The entire estate to include all of its restaurants, accomodations, etc is private. They are not subsidized by the U.S. Government in any way.

Breakfast Buffet in the Grove Park Inn

by 807Wheaton about Blue Ridge Dining Room

When you eat in the Blue Ridge Dining Room you have a view of the mountains and some of the spa area that has been created in the front of the Grove Park Inn. We were seated by the table so we had a beautiful view of the area at breakfast. We had the breakfast buffet which costs $16.95 + 18% gratuity.
The only fresh fruit was cut up cantaloupe, honey dew and pineapple, which tasted fine.
There were no bowls of apples, oranges, or other fresh fruit. There was only a little Yogurt set out.
The chef is there to prepare an omelette with any of the fixings. He had onions, chopped tomatoes, spinache, mushrooms, cheese, peppers, scallops and sausage.

Comments