Oakland Cottage B&B

74 Oakland Road, Asheville, North Carolina, 28801, United States
Oakland Cottage B&B
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Asheville

george w. vanderbiltgeorge w. vanderbilt

Stairwell Exterior DetailStairwell Exterior Detail

View of the spa area of the Grove Park InnView of the spa area of the Grove Park Inn

meat pie go well with the IPAmeat pie go well with the IPA

Old Reynolds Mansion or Willow Winds Cabins reviews?

by meganreads

We are trying to decide between Old Reynolds Mansion or Willow Winds Cabins for a weeek in mid-August. Any experience with either? Any advice?

Much thanks!!

RE: Old Reynolds Mansion or Willow Winds Cabins reviews?

by AdrianneS

We originally made our 3 day reservations at the Old Reynolds Mansion and after checking in we quickly decided that it was not the place for us. The Innkeeper was not very friendly or welcoming upon checkin (clue #1). We reserved the Swan Cottage which was very outdated, dark & depressing. It had old dirty carpet, linens & a small dirty bathroom. The property is pretty with lots of potential but seemed run down and in some cases looked like it needed some serious repairs. On a positive note they did not charge us upon our cancellation.
We ended up at the Princess Anne hotel and loved it- no complaints whatsoever.
GOOD LUCK.

Travel Tips for Asheville

fresh and green...

by americanwildchild

There are excellent backroads to ride your bike...and the parkway has some inclines but I think if you are fit, biking it wouldn't be so bad....(I've never ridden a bicycle on the parkway but I followed a friend on his skateboard cruising the curves one afternoon...)

Early voting free shuttle (for Bush suppoters?)

by matcrazy1

I am not sure whether it's a local custom just for Asheville but I saw it exclusively there, some 2 weeks before presidential election in 2004.

I saw that car in my picture advertising one of the presidential candidates (John Kerry - Democrat) followed by numerous taxi cars. This chain of cars with baloons fixed to them and drivers pushing horns was making unbelievable noise and stopped the city traffic for a moment. At first I didn't understand what's that.

I knew what "early elections" meant: American citizens from about 30 states, if properly registered, were entitled to vote some time (2 weeks or so) before the election day and some (minority) did it to avoid lines on the election day. Keep in mind that there was no holiday on the election day in the USA in 2004.

But the full explanation of this chain of cars was written on the first one: "Early voting has begun! Give me a wave and I'll drive you to vote Bush away!" But what if someone gave a wave and then voted for Bush? Despite Asheville Bush supporters did not spend money for "early voting free shuttles" and didn't make that much noice Bush won 56.9% votes in Asheville.

Packing List

by acemj

Obviously, don't forget your camera and any extra lenses you may have. Bring great hiking shoes and a coat if it's not summer. In the winter, it can get pretty nasty in terms of snow and ice. The roads especially along the Parkway are subject to closure due to the weather, so keep that in mind.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park

by matcrazy1

Whenever you stay in Ashville a day trip to the magnificient Great Smoky Mountains covered by forests is a must. It's a part of the Blue Ridge Mountains which are a division of the larger Appalachian Mountains, I know from my geography classes at school.

I drove some 50 miles west of Asheville to enter Great Smoky Mountains National Park (FREE entrance, no fee!) and passed the park and North Carolina - Tennessee state line driving U.S. Highway 441 (Newfound Gap Road). I stopped at numerous lookouts. Views over the mountains are spectacular, never to forget especially in peak fall season. I was lucky to be there (half-late October usually). I took some hiking along the Appalachian Trail, too.

Warning: check the weather forecast before you go and plan your trip on sunny day if possible. Foggy and rainy weather is quite common in the Great Smoky Mountains. Only some parts of Washington state and Alaska get more rains.

Bistro at the Biltore Winery

by sbahns about Bistro at the Biltore Winery

Excellent, quality food. Beautiful bistro atmosphere. Closest you can get to Italy or southern France without going across the pond. Calzone stuffed with salmon, blue crab, capers, cream cheese and a light tomato sauce.

Comments