31 Woodfin st, Asheville, North Carolina, 28801, United States
Renaissance Hotels Travelocity Booking.com

More about Renaissance Asheville Hotel

Visit in the FALL!

When visiting Asheville NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway make sure you stay at the Renaissance Asheville Hotel. It is a fabulous hotel that has many anemities that you look for in a upscale hotel. While in Asheville do not miss the Biltmore Estates. We were not going to go but then the concierge suggested it to be one of the best things to do in Asheville, and we couldnt have been happier. It was a great experience and definately glad the conceirge at the Renaissance Asheville Hotel was so helpful.

A great hotel in downtown Asheville

by TripAdvisor Member Lynn-in-Chapel-Hill

My husband and I made last minute plans for a weekend trip to Asheville. We hoped to stay at the Grove Park, but alas there was no room at the inn. Based on recommendations in this forum we made reservations at the Renaissance. It's on the outskirts of town but was just a five minute walk from our favorite shops and restaurants.

The check-in was simple and although there was a moment when the clerk said (will two doubles be ok? - we had reserved a king) they accommodated our request without a problem. The room was spacious, extremely clean, and the bed was wonderful. I wonder how they keep that white white comforter so clean!! The bathroom was elegant with granite countertop and a nice selection of toiletries. Most important to us was the good quality coffee in the room, we usually have to bring our own. We ordered breakfast one morning and it was delicious, much better than the usual room service fare.

The hotel provided connection cables for internet access and there was wireless in the room - my only complaint is that you had to pay for it which seemed petty for this price hotel. It's $9.95 per day or $2.95 for 15 minutes which was just fine for me to just check email and do a little work. Overall though, we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Great hotel

Another good review of the hotel...

When we reached the hotel, the bell hop met us and escorted us to the reception where the check in agent was very nice. He told us he had given us connecting rooms on the 4th floor. We asked if there was anything available on a higher floor and he said he could give us room on a higher floor but they would not be connecting. Since we had two small kids we chose to take the 4th floor connecting rooms.

The luggage came up with us and the bell hop brought in ice for us for both the rooms. The rooms were really nice, the beds were extremely comfortable. One had a king and the other had two queen beds. Minor gripes were that the bathroom was really small. The shower head was set at such an angle if you were not prepared water would shoot put past the shower curtain and hit the door and then the floor. That area on the door where the water hit was all bubbly and the paint was peeling with water hitting it so often. The carpets also seemed to be a little worn. I really like the toiletries - they had mint and thyme shampoo, crème hair rinse, bergamot and sage lotion, facial soap, body wash, mouthwash and boot buffer. The view was nice, just pull out a chair and sit by the window looking out at the mountains...the view from the higher floors must have been awesome.

Be careful of the automatic revolving door, it does not stop easily. We almost had an accident with it when my 4 yr old tried to follow me in and the door was about to close on him, well DH pulled him out and tried to keep the door from closing on his arm which he was using the shield my son, and the door just kept on closing. Luckily he manager to pull out at the last moment but the packet he was carrying in got stuck. Was a very scary incident, I think my little one would have been quite hurt if he had gotten stuck there.

We had breakfast there the morning we left. It was ok, they had an omelet chef and a pretty good spread for about $12 each.

The hotel was pretty busy with at least three weddings going on, but we did not know how busy it was until we went down to the lobby where you see al the hustle and the bustle. We parked in the back both nights as the front lot got full pretty early. It really did not make a difference except you had a walk maybe a minute more since you are entering the hotel from the back and make it to the lobby for the elevator.

Good stay...

the best

I went to Asheville for a yoga training. Traveling alone, I look for a safe and convenient place to stay. This hotel was the best. Hotel staff was exceptional. Accomodating meet my every need. Room was spacious. Bath products very nice. Easywalk to many good eateries, and shopping. Next store to the community theatre. Where I watched a very good production. The only down side was the heater in bedroom, it was quite loud. Of course I probably did not sleep sound, being without my husband..wonderful, wonderful, wonderful

Continous Decline

by TripAdvisor Member Chplhill

Other than its central location, I am beginning to doubt why I stay here. If it were not for where it was I would stay elsewhere. I have stayed at this hotel probably 6 times in the past year on business. Hotel is clean, but each time service gets a little bit worse. For instance, club floor is open what seems like at random, and sometimes, not at all, despite what posted hours say, and it may or may not be clean. Cleanliness all over this hotel seems to be going downhill. On a two day stay recently, I came back after my room had been cleaned to find someone's (not my own) filthy gym sock laying in the middle of the floor. How it got there I don't have a clue. Room service trays stay outside doors often for 12 hours plus. Some of the sheets no longer fit the beds. The club floor is a total ripoff. The restaurant is basically an aside. If you like frozen food, you'll love it though. Hotel is still beautiful, but service is just a mess, and becoming worse.

Great Location and Comfy Bed

by TripAdvisor Member debonna

My husband and I just returned from a three-day weekend in Asheville. We chose the Renaissance because of a) all the downtown eateries and shops within walking distance and b) it has an indoor pool and whirlpool. Our expectations were met, as we never moved the car the whole weekend, except to drive a couple of miles down the road to the Biltmore Estate. The pool area was adequate as well, although there was chewing gum on the depth marker of the whirlpool.

When I received my online confirmation, I clicked the "concierge" link on the website which is used to make special requests. I mentioned that we were celebrating our anniversary and would like a room on a high floor with a nice view, and anything else that would make our stay special. When we arrived to our room, a basket of sodas, cheese, crackers, and grapes was waiting for us.

The room was very clean and fairly well maintained. The best part was the signature bedding, which was very clean, soft and comfortable. I usually won't touch a hotel room bedspread with a 10 ft. pole, but the duvet and accent pillows were immaculate and very comfortable. The linens were fresh, crisp, and clean.

I also enjoyed the "Lather" bath amenities. I usually forego the standard hotel amenities for my favorite products from home, but these felt like spa products - - lavendar facial soap, lemon verbena bath soap, thyme mint shampoo and cream rinse, and some sort of citrus ginger moisturizer. The massaging showerhead was nice as well. The bathroom was pretty small and the base of the door worn, but we managed just fine.

My only issue with the room was the heat/air control. The temperature was just fine, but I'm the type that needs "white noise" when I sleep, so I like thermostats that allow you to run the fan at all times. Although there was a "fan" button, the air kept cutting off, and I would wake up each time. And even though we were two doors away from the elevator banks, I could hear the interior mechanics running all night.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here in the future, should we visit Asheville again.

great hotel in asheville

by TripAdvisor Member avram

Went to Asheville but The Grove Park was all booked so we stayed at the Renaissance. It was way cheaper and the hotel was excellent. Nice rooms indoor pool and hot tub and walking distance to the shops and restaurants in Asheville. I would definitely chose to stay here again, did not have one complaint. There was even a wedding one of the nights we stayed there, but we were not inconvenienced at all.

One sweet gem

My husband and I had heard about the Renaissance Hotel in Asheville, and decided that's where we wanted to stay for our week-long pleasure visit.

We needed a suite (so he could escape me when I snore), and the Renaissance in Asheville doesn't have suites. They do, however, have corner room set-ups, which are accessed by one door. From the main hallway, your room key will get you into a short "inside" hallway, where there are two rooms, with doors that will also respond to the same key. One of the rooms is called a "salon", and has a pull out sofa, TV, bath, desk, chairs, etc. (similar to a living room). The other room has bed(s), a bath, TV, and so on. Technically, it would seem the hotel could refer to these as "suites", but since they don't, it took a little longer to check in than it probably should have.

The rooms are exquisite: everything is in great condition, the beds are extremely comfy (the sheets are top of the line), and the care of the room is done by friendly, happy staff.

The bath is fully equipped with hair dryer, make up mirror, and lovely smelling "lemongrass" and lavendar soaps, and equally divine shampoo and conditioner.

The common areas of the hotel include a restaurant, a lounge, a business center, a gym and pool area, an outdoor patio (for the smokers) and a gift shop. There are also several meeting rooms, but we were there for pleasure, so I can't comment on them.

The lounge, which is situated near the check-in desk, opens at 4:00. The restaurant opens at 5:00 (I think). The Olympic-sized pool is the perfect temperature, as is the adjacent hot tub. The gym is also quite complete, with
cardio and weights, as well as televisions for those who like treadmills and Elipses.

Perhaps best of all is the location, which is right in the middle of what's happening in Asheville. Take a three-block walk and you're at several fine (and tasty) restaurants with outdoor seating when the weather is nice. (We were there in mid-April, and it was lovely.) We were delighted to find that the restaurants we visited during our stay served local and organic dishes more often than not.

Also nearby: art museums and galleries; upscale jewelry, glass, card, gift, and other swanky shops; a funky bookstore named Malaprops, and renovated old buildings that make the place feel like a mix of San Francisco, Boston, London, and a touch of Manhattan.

In April, 2006, the hotel had a few drawbacks I should mention:

- there's only one waitress in the lounge area and, at around 4:00 in the afternoon, that wasn't enough. Also, the seating was awkward when there was a large group. Due to the lounge's proximity to the Reception Desk, it was also hard to distinguish between who was waiting for a drink and who was wanting to check in or out.

- the restaurant, which serves quite good food, is also understaffed and, in fact, the servers do double-duty behind the reception desk. What a shame for a potentially very nice asset. (The lighting should probably be turned down in the restaurant to lend more evening ambiance.)

- the "honor bar" in our room wasn't replenished daily (contrary to the notice in the room). However, there's an organic store called "Greenlife" which is within a few minutes drive from the hotel where you can buy tasty snacks, as well as choose from a nice selection of wines (including a wide variety of bottles already chilled). Wine glasses are easily attainable from the hotel.

- The doors in our "suite" didn't come with door stoppers, so we either had to carry our key with us to get from room to room, or otherwise prop the door open. The hotel staff gave us one (rather large) rubber door stopper, and two (rather small) wedge-cut pieces of wood. The rubber stopper worked perfectly. The wooden ones tended to slip, thereby closing the door.

My only other complaint is based on my personal design aesthetics; the baths are decorated in well chosen dark and "cocoa" browns, ivory, and white. The tub (which has a lovely arced curtain rod for extra space while showering) is where the problem lies: the curtain should be ivory, or another complimentary color to the rest of the room. Instead, it's dark forest green. (Yikes!)

All that said, if I I were to go to Asheville again, I'd head straight to the Renaissance.

Robin Stamm
Epsom, NH

smoky humid and non-accomodating

We had a reservation for a nonsmoking room . We we arrived, we were sent to
a humid room with ozone machine loudly running in room .
The room smelled like a smoky bar.
They sent someone to room and they sprayed orange scent.
$200 plus for the night? Not here.
Needless to say, we left.

Best Hotel in Town

Asheville is my favorite city, but unfortunately there aren't a lot of hotels to choose from that are downtown where you can walk everywhere. I was going to stay at the Best Western across the street, but after reading horrible reviews and seeing it was only about $50 cheaper I decided to go with the Renaissance.

It was totally worth the extra money. The rooms were small, but immaculate. I am very picky about cleanliness in hotels, and probably have a phobia about the bathrooms. This one was awesome. I think the shower was cleaner than mine at home.

The bed was great; the linens were nice (I wasn't even grossed out by the comforter) and the pillows were soft and plentiful (there were like 10 on the bed). The carpet was clean, except for one stain by the window but it looked like a water stain anyway.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, but the bartender was great and we actually spent one night drinking down there because it was raining too hard to walk around downtown. The consierge was very nice, too, and knowledgeable. They had really handy maps that made everything really easy to find--small, obscure shops were even listed on the map.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It's a little more than I like to spend on a hotel (it was $164 when I stayed), but after seeing how clean the bathroom was and how convenient it was to everything downtown, it was totally worth it. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was because the rooms were a bit small, and there wasn't a refridgerator in the room. There might have been one in the minibar, but I'd have to pay to crack that open and didn't want to fool with that. Otherwise this hotel was great and I would definitely recommend it.

Comments