Rodeway Inn & Suites at Biltmore Square

9 Wedgefield Drive, I-26 Exit 33, Asheville, North Carolina, 28806, United States
Orbitz.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Asheville

vance memorialvance memorial

Library room on estate homeLibrary room on estate home

Biltmore House, side window detail, May 2004Biltmore House, side window detail, May 2004

the stellar City Hall is all Art Decothe stellar City Hall is all Art Deco

rental cabins

by magnolia4

I'm planning a family reunion along with graduation celebration the dates of May 18, 19 and 20. We're looking for a large cabin/house/lodge with at least four bedrooms and two full bathrooms, cooking facilities, a porch and some land for walking, clean and comfortable. Anywhere within fifteen minutes of the Asheville area would be fine.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Thanks.

Re: rental cabins

by rbowenspecialfinds

Hi,

A really good friend of mine has a log cabin rental property located about 12 miles outside of Asheville. It is a nice place, kind of back in the woods (at least enough for privacy), has a hot tub and I can't remember how many rooms. But it is really nice and there is room to get out and around the cabin--as a matter of fact there is a small pond on the property located near the house.

I just received a phone call from him and those dates are open--there is 6.4 acres of property, however it only has 3 bedrooms but does have two baths.

He is willing to give you an extra night free if you are interested.

His name is John McClung and his email address is mcclung529@charter.net

Hope this helps and maybe you have already found something

Ricky

Re: rental cabins

by magnolia4

Thanks for answering. I didn't check this site often enough and have ended up renting a couple of houses from a woman who just bought acreage adjoining Warren Wilson college which is where we'll be attending graduation.
I'd like to know more about the cabin, though, since my husband and I are planning on moving down to that area and may want to rent it for ourselves at a future time.

Travel Tips for Asheville

Cat on a wall :-)

by matcrazy1

Don't laugh at me now. Sometimes small things are my fondest memory from visited places. I had to smile looking at this funny sculpture of natural size cat walking on a wall. I found it in Asheville downtown somewhere close to climbing wall run by ClimbMax Climbing Center (see my sports travel tip). Look also at colorful murals (picture 2) behind "the cat wall." Well, there are many more pretty and small sculptures put around downtown, for example in front of the Civic Center.

I've seen a few similar sculptures of cats somewhere in Italy where there are many cats walking on tiny streets. But in Asheville and generally in the USA I have never seen any cats or dogs walking alone along city streets. They are always walked by their owners. I think locals call police (or other city service) when they see any strange animals/pets outdoors.

Diversity of people

by matcrazy1

Asheville seems to be a melting pot of different people and cultures, surely on a small scale as it isn't a large city. It's for sure neither San Francisco nor New Orleans. And I didn't see any Black people (even one!) in downtown; they often call them Afro-Americans in the USA. Anyway I could meet and watch in downtown Asheville:
1. locals living here for years.
2. newcomers including:
- hippie (and other subcultures: punk, rave, funky etc.) galore looking for creativity, art, love and whatever else,
- students of University of North Carolina in Asheville looking for good education,
- retirees looking for friendly atmosphere, fresh air and beautiful mountains around (add good food and shopping possibilities for them now).
3. visitors from various states and from abroad who mainly visit the Biltmore Estate though.

Lots of art

by acemj

For a relatively small city, Asheville packs in a lot of art. There is a Folk Center just outside of town on the parkway that focuses on Appalachian art and the city is full of galleries featuring many local talents.

French Broad Lookout

by b1bob

I'm glad we took that short little trip. We stopped along the French Broad Overlook at 2100 feet (640 m.) above sea level for a photo opportunity. If you think my pic is good, wait until you see Mark's. We ran into a guy on a bicycle who had just moved to the area from the Poconos in Pennsylvania. This is a great area to camp and backpack. If it looked this nice in early spring, I can only imagine it in autumn.

Quilts by known artists

by matcrazy1 about Deerpark Exhibit Hall (Biltmore Estate)

At the end of my visit to the famous Biltmore Estate I hit my car to what was signed as Deerpark. I entered a huge, wooden hall where numerous, colorful patchwoek quilts were hang on walls around. To my surprise it was more than the exhibit. I could buy these colorful quilts.

A quilt is a type of bedding, a bed covering composed of a quilt top, a layer of batting, and a layer of fabric for backing. Nowadays it is more and more often made by artists and used exclusively to look at. This way from useful craftwork to "unuseful" art begun in the 19th century and, as I noticed, is continued in North Carolina and generally the South. They sold quilts, hand-made by known (not for me though :-) quilters, including Genevieve Grundy and Tynne Karas. I've got to known that the most famous creators of art quilts are or were natives to Virginia, Georgia and both Carolinas. Expensive in my opinion but original artworks by known artists. From some $100 to over $500 - see my pictures.

Comments