Super 8 Asheville

180 Tunnel Rd, (formerly Ramada Limited), Asheville, North Carolina, 28805, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

More about Asheville

lake lurelake lure

back viewback view

Gargoyle detail, Biltmore House, May 2004Gargoyle detail, Biltmore House, May 2004

one of those foreclosure banks?one of those foreclosure banks?

Asheville: vegan friendly?

by rahul126

Hi all!
I'm a vegan from New Zealand and am traveling to NC with my mother later this year, spedning most of our time in Asheville. I have never been to the USA, let alone a smaller city in the south and was wondering how vegan-friendly it is likely to be? I've heard a lot of sterotypes about Southern cooking and its use of animal products. I'm particularly worried about the prevalance of animal fats used for cooking. Is this likely to be an issue and can anyone recommend any good vegetarian/vegan restaurants?
Thanks heaps! :)

by maggie0o0o0

First of all.. if you're visiting the south it's "hi ya'll..."

Sure a lot of the southern cuisine involves adding lard and pork fat to every vegetable dish imaginable, but don't worry, you'll be in good hands in Asheville. It is a bit of an odd ball town, very charming and very vegan friendly. One of my favorite restaurants of all time is there, the Laughing Seed Cafe. It is vegetarian and absolutely wonderful... their website is www.laughingseed.com.

There are several other vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurants, especially downtown. Asheville is an eccentric town, very different from most stereotypical southern cities, and a beautiful place. Hope you have a great trip!

Margaret

by bocmaxima

Asheville is one of the most vegan- and veg-friendly cities in the country behind maybe Ithaca, Boulder and Madison. Don't even worry about it. You should still even be able to sample vegan versions of Southern favorites.
Have a good time.

by dianneswain

Asheville can accomondate most vegan palates

by martyweil

Yes, it is one of the most Vegan friendly of all Southern cities. Many have already named the best Vegan eateries, but here's a secret: nearly all of the resturants in town will do Vegan dishes if you ask. They're used to these types of requests.

Marty

by Hexepatty

Ate here a few weeks ago and their menu for vegan's was extensive and the staff was overboard friendly and accomodating. Inexpensive, quick and in a nice location for people watching downtown. It's my favorite Asheville restaurant.

if you are going to be there for any length of time, let me know. I'd love to meet you. Love Asheville!

Cheers, - Patty

Travel Tips for Asheville

Mountains can be just as...

by mcharlton

Mountains can be just as calming as the Ocean.
Every corner we took was just as breath taking as the last. Going treking everyday to a new spot and coming back to the cabin that night to fix a home made meal. We all pitched in on making the evening meal.

Diversity in architecture

by matcrazy1

Looking at Asheville downtown from upper level of Asheville Civic Center garage my first impression was that there were nearly as many styles of architecture throughout the streets of Asheville as there were buildings. Look at three quite different styles in my picture: red-brick, poor and typical for early industrial era houses down, monumental, modern and grey building in the middle and pretty top of high rise building (the Jackson Building - 1925) up in the backgroud.

Soon later strolling around Asheville downtown and watching various locals I easily figured out that this unique variety in architectural styles reflects diversity of people who had come and settled in the mountains of western North Carolina in the past.

Political Activism

by acemj

Asheville's population is very politically active and on my visit in March of 2003, there were plenty of people at Pack Square protesting the war in Iraq. This photo was taken early on in the day. By evening, there were probably over 100 people, but things remained civil.

Asheville is known as a rebellious, artsy community, so these kinds of scenes are expected, not surprising.

lake lure

by doug48

lake lure and chimney rock village is a very nice side trip from asheville. lake lure is a beautiful mountain lake and chimney rock village is home to chimney rock state park. the lake lure area offers boating, fishing, hiking, and a number of good bars and restaurants. lake lure is located about 30 miles east of asheville. from downtown take I-40 to I-26 east. on I-26 exit US 64 north. for more information see my lake lure and chimney rock pages.

Sweet shop, barks and my pecan research :-)

by matcrazy1 about The Confectionery

This cool little shop offers sweet food and sweets in small pieces: caramels, chocolate sticks and barks. Yes, they called square, small pieces of chocolate sweets barks. Well, I couldn't understand that "bark" as I related this word exclusively to rough noise made by a dog. Urszula was joking that we would bark after eating these sweets. We didn't. We smiled :-).

I didn't know that "bark" in English was the outermost layer of stems and roots of woody plants such as trees. Anyway, it's an enjoyable name for what I finally bought. I bought what was called "dark pecan bark" and "white pecan bark." It was a square and thick piece of chocolate with pecan nuts. Both were very yummy! Although I liked the dark bark more.

It was my first meeting with pecans and made me a bit "pecan obsessed" during the rest of my Southern odyssey. When I saw this word in the menu I usually ordered it. I didn't know what pecan was and I wanted to check it in Wal-Mart food store in the evening. Well, first I checked how that mysterious pecan or exactly pecan nuts look like in a bookstore :-).

Well, many Americans wrongly think that everyone knows them. In my part of the world there are pecan trees (orzesznik) growing in some parks in northern and western Poland but noone except some specialists in botanics know pecan nuts. They are as unavailable in groceries as for example carp fish in UK (popular in Poland especially for Christmas and regarded as not edible in UK). Well, try to buy popular in Poland sauerkraut in any Wal-Mart ;-). You know what I mean.

So, let me explain for non-American readers. The pecan is a species of hickory (group of a tree species of tough, yet flexible wood which bear globose or oval nuts with thick and bony shell), native to southeastern North America (mainly Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Mississippi). The pecan may live and bear nuts for more than three hundred years. Pecan nuts can be eaten fresh or used in cooking, particularly in sweet desserts but also in some savory dishes. The wood of the pecan tree is also used in flavoring fuel for smoking meats (hickory BBQ). $2.00 (+ NC sales tax, 7% in 2004) per each bark.

Comments