3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

The Omni Grove Park Inn
Expedia.com amextravel.com Hotels.com

Costs 103% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Understaffed, crowded, poor management

My husband and I booked the Christmas package (23rd - 26th) at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC. As soon as we arrived it was obvious they were understaffed. While I was stuck in traffic gridlock, my husband attempted to check in with ID, credit card used for reservation, and printed reservation confirmation. He was turned away, since I had been the one who called on the phone. After getting checked in I was sent outside to wait for a bellhop with a luggage cart. There were already plenty of people waiting in the cold for the same thing, so I luckily found a parking spot and we were hauling our own bags around the halls completely lost until we found a bellman with an empty cart.
    The room: When we got to our room it was full of concussion-causing hazards for my husband (over 6 ft.) and there was one side of the bed I couldn't even walk on (I'm barely 5'5") the walls were so sloped. There was a step up into the bathroom, and the bathroom door was under 6' tall. There was no fan in the bathroom, and the tub was refitted as a shower in a way that left a sharp piece of metal on the edge of the door (I cut my knee once). Also, the shower head was placed at the sloped end on the tub, so it was very difficult to wash your hair without having to carefully balance on this slope. Also, our room was right next to an old fashioned elevator with an operator, so there was noise from about 5:30 in the morning until at least 1 am. The good: the bed was incredibly soft, and the room was very clean.
    The service: Complementary breakfast buffet, either in the dining room or delivered to our room was included with our package. The first day, we went down to dine, and the wait was an hour and a half. We asked at the front desk about having breakfast sent up (there was no menu for the buffet in the room) and were told housekeeping would drop off a door tag that we could fill out to have breakfast ordered to the room. We could fill them out and breakfast would be brought to the room. Two phone calls and a visit to the front desk produced no such tag. So Christmas morning my husband called down to order breakfast, the phone rang and no one ever picked up. Finally he went down to the dining area and found out that the hotel had decided to stop serving breakfast an hour earlier than scheduled without telling anyone, so we had no food until our Christmas dinner reservations, which also entailed a wait. Once again just completely understaffed. The good: Most of the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, and the food was excellent.
    Common areas: There are nice views, a wonderful fireplace, beautiful decorations, and the display of gingerbread houses. This was great to see, but it was wall-to-wall people the entire time, and you had to fight your way through the crowds to get anywhere. The hotel really seemed to be catering to drop-in visitors (plenty of people come there to eat and look at the decorations, etc) more than guests.
    The spa: Our first evening there we visited the spa and it was a wonderful relaxing experience. It is extremely beautiful and romantic. Since we enjoyed ourselves so much, we decided to go back on Christmas day. At first everything was going really well, then when I was upstairs in the female shower/changing/ lounge area I ran into two late teens or early twenties guys in street clothes wandering the hallway. (The spa has a front desk you check in at, and then you wait for someone to take you to the male or female shower/changing area appropriate for your gender, and there is a common area in the middle for both men and women to use). At first I thought these guys had accidentally wandered into the wrong side, and was just mildly annoyed that no one at the front desk was paying attention. I sent them back out the door to the reception area. After telling my husband about it when I was back in the common area, he pointed out that the door they came in had a key-code lock on it. So these guys had broken in (I think a girl near them may have opened the door for them from the inside, or they caught the door as someone was leaving). Leaving the spa I asked to speak to the manager and explained what had happened. He didn't apologize, just said they would look at the security tapes and see what happened. He insisted they must have jumped the fence (really doubtful based on where I saw them, and where I had just come from) and actually told me that 'This sort of thing happens, and there really isn't anything we can do about it." When I told him I didn't think he was taking the break-in very seriously, he asked me what I thought he could do. I suggested he could be adequately staffed, and that he could actually apologize. He insisted someone was at the front desk the entire time (I know this isn't true, the one woman working there left to get my husband orange juice after the cafe closed early), and did not apologize, but said 'I'm sorry you feel that way' instead.
    I went and asked to speak to the General Manager of the hotel, and explained the situation to him, and told him we thought the spa manager had handled the problem so badly that we were checking out. The general manager also showed an alarming lack of concern, but did admit that they had seen the men I was talking about leaving the spa on the security cameras. For unknown reasons he kept trying to insist they must have been 13 or 14 year olds, and not adults. All either of these managers had to do was apologize sincerely and show some concern for the safety and privacy of their guests, but they just failed to do so. The general manager also promised me that the female head of the spa would call me the next day. Of course she did not, and when I called the manager back I was told he did not have time to speak to me, but had told the receptionist to transfer me to the assistant manager of the spa. The one thing the general manager did correctly that night, after much vocal complaining on my part, was to call security so that I could fill out a report. The security guard was incredibly nice and showed a great deal of empathy. He had much better people skills than either of the managers.
    Anyway, that is the long story of how we ended up driving home on Christmas night from what was supposed to be a romantic vacation. We were really willing to overlook all of the overcrowding, accommodations, and smaller inconveniences to have a nice time together, but the poor handling of serious safety concerns in the spa was just too much.

• doug48's Profile Photo

historic hotel

the grove park inn was built in 1913 in the arts & crafts style. this historic hotel has hosted numerous presidents and other famous people. this luxuary hotel has a relaxed old south atmosphere but has all of the amenites that you would expect of a modern luxury resort hotel. the grove park inn offers a spa, restaurant, and bar on premises as well as a golf course. the grove park in is located on sunset mountain and offers beautiful views of asheville. this historic hotel is in my opinion the best hotel in asheville.

Directions: northwest of downtown.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Get your exercise at the Grove Park Inn

The Sports Complex is where you will find the indoor pool, fitness equipment and indoor tennis.
    The pool is a square and they had one lane barred off for lap swimming.
    The locker rooms were bright and cheerful with a tile motif.
    The outdoor tennis courts were next to the parking lot for the sports complex. The outdoor pool, which I saw but didn't use or take a picture of it, is about a mile away from the GPI. They provide a shuttle to carry guests back and forth. The Sports Complex is right behind the Inn.

Unique Quality: Most of the facilities are duplicated in the Sports Complex which is nice because guests can do tennis, swim, etc. year round here at the GPI.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Asheville's Playground

We went to the Grove Park Inn for a little R&R from the heat in Augusta during the heatwave of 2007. We arrived about 3PM and had no problem checking in an hour early. Our room was in the Vanderbilt wing. The two wings, Sammons and Vanderbilt are much newer than the original structure. Our room had an entire wall of windows. It was spacious and clean. They don't have flat screen TVs yet or duvets on the beds. All three of the table lamps had three way lightbulbs that worked! Now "that" impresses me. It looked very nice and we enjoyed our visit. No problems - very comfortable and relaxing. There only seemed to be a small business meeting going on and not a lot of tourists and visitors. Surprise - surprise!
    We had the buffet breakfast while we were there. They offered fresh cut up canaloupe, honey dew melon and fresh pineapple. They did not have any bowls of apples, oranges or any other fresh fruit setting out.
    There was a little yogurt but no toppings of granola, nuts, etc. We did see raisins, brown sugar etc. by the hot oatmeal. They also had a chef there to make omelettes.
    They had spinache and swiss cheese with all the other fixings so they made a Florentine Omelette for my husband. They had plain grits and cheese grits and also O'Brien Potatoes - the potatoes were very good.
    I would say for the $16.99 cost of each breakfast it was nothing extraordinary.

Unique Quality: The staff is very gracious and accomodating here. There is a shuttle to take you around on the grounds to the Country Club for golf, or to the outdoor pool. The indoor pool is in the Sports Complex which is a large two story building behind the Grove Park Inn.
    All the locker rooms at the complex were clean and very well equipped.
    The Spa is an entire event in itself. It costs $45 if you are a guest. That fee is just for a swim or using their outdoor patio. You can come to the spa if you are visiting Asheville and not staying at the GPI. The prices for a massage start at about $249 and the manicures start at $80. Oh, you get to keep the bottle of nail polish.

Directions: Take Charlotte street off I - 240 to Macon Street. There is good signage to the GPI.

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Gorgeous Inn in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Stayed there on business and was definitlely not disappointed. The lobby is a large open area, with fireplaces that are at least 15 - 20 foot wide on both sides of the room, all overlooking the layout of the rest of the Inn and grounds. Good selection of restaurants with fare that ranges from reasonably priced sandwiches to highly priced Kobe steaks.

Unique Quality: Excellent views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It would be a wonderful place to go for a couple's getaway.

• ghothem's Profile Photo

Great Family or Adult Accomodations

We've stayed at the Grove Park Inn 3 times over the past 5 years and have never had anything but a great time. We've stayed with our girls (currently 10 and 11) and also just my wife and I. Ask for a room in the original lodge building which were refurbished about 2001.

Directions: North of downtown Asheville. Need a car to see sights off the property.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

Western North Carolina's mainstay resort

There is not much else that is better than warming up near the fireplace inside the lobby area of the Grove Park Inn.

This historical hotel-resort blends new and old into one.

When it is too cold outside to enjoy the view or a drink & snack, then a cozy room with a view at the Grove Park Inn will meet anyone's needs and unpublished amentities like popcorn in your room make it right for the night.

Built in 1913 of local granite, the Grove Park Inn (http://www.groveparkinn.com) has been a favorite of mine and will always be.

I really enjoyed the national gingerbread house competition and the display the resort laid our for the contest in November.

Would I stay here again---Absolutely yes.

Unique Quality: I have enjoyed the Grove Park Inn in both summer and winter but Christmas time is especially nice with the decorations, the cold weather, and the events they sponsor including the national gingerbread house competition.

The spa is unreal. It lies beneath the foundation of the Inn and has every imaginable option for the spa-minded person.

Rooms facing the city are my favorite but I do not think there is a "bad" view anywhere on the property.

Directions: On a hill overlooking Asheville

• bdbrewer's Profile Photo

Exclusive Resort

Nestled in the mountains overlooking Asheville. Built from stone blasted from the mountain to make it's base. Very exclusive resort with all eminities including golf, health spas, several exclusive and expensive restaurants.

Unique Quality: You will be treated like royalty

Directions: Go past town square, by government buildings, past the First Baptist Church, and up into the mountains

• FreeCloud's Profile Photo

Grove Park Inn – Resort and...

Grove Park Inn – Resort and Spa
    $200/night

Unique Quality: Grand hotel hidden in the Blue Ridge Mountains, with a turn-of-the-century design architecture. Even if you do not stay here, you can tour its huge lobby and property or simply dine at one of its restaurants.

More about The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa

Delighted with the Grove Park Inn!

I was amazed by the bad review someone gave the Grove Park Inn. My husband and I have been going their for over 20 years for anniversaries, Sunday Brunches, Christmas parties..etc. Never have we had anything but a wonderful experience.We, too, have stayed in the old part. Delightful. We also love the new part. The restuarant has some of the most delicious food we have eaten. And may I mentioned we have stayed at the Fairmont in San Francisco, eaten at several restuarants in Beverly Hills, The Breakers in Palm Beach...Dined at the White Horse Inn in Newport Rhode Island, and many restuartants in NYC, including Windows on the World (part of the WTC).And we still love the Grove Park Inn the best...for its history, its personable staff and its sheer beauty.The new spa is wonderful. We spent a day there last year when we celebrated our 23rd anniversary.I bet the writer of that review would complain of pollen in the Garden of Eden. Some folks just need to stay home.

Grove Park Inn ResortGrove Park Inn Resort

Grove Park Inn groundsGrove Park Inn grounds

Grove Park Inn groundsGrove Park Inn grounds

A Stay at The Grove Park InnA Stay at The Grove Park Inn

Nicest Places to stay in Asheville, NC

by JackFurious

Where could I find a list of the most upscale lodging that Asheville, NC has available. I need at least 2000sq ft and price is no object. Any suggestions?

Re: Nicest Places to stay in Asheville, NC

by travelmad478

Google "Asheville luxury hotels" and your work is done for you.

Grove Park Inn is the top place to stay in AVL.

Re: Nicest Places to stay in Asheville, NC

by TheTravelSlut

You could also try the Biltmore Inn for their suite.

I agree though about the Grove Park Inn--they are the best and soon should have the National Gingerbread House contest winners displayed.

I just returned from the Beech Mountain & Boone area and the colors were wonderful.

Enjoy.