Cape Hatteras Bed and Breakfast

46223 Old Lighthouse Road, Buxton, North Carolina, 27920, United States

More about Cape Hatteras Bed and Breakfast

Cape Hatteras Motel

by Maples01 about Cape Hatteras Motel

In the peak of Summer an oceanfront room runs around $140.00 a night Very nice rooms at a good price. Nice friendly staff. :)

Reliable Campgrounds

by PA2AKgirl about KOA (Kampgrounds of America)

If you're taking any sort of roadtrip across the US or even just visiting for a short time, you're likely to come across a KOA. (Not only that, but they also have locations in Mexico and Canada, staying true to all of North America...but also in Japan!) There are locations in the lower 48--I don't think they are in Alaska or Hawaii, though which is a shame. I've stayed at a lot of these and never have I come across one that was less than the best campground I've seen. The best part about them is that you know there is going to be one around. In Pennsylvania alone, there are 13 different KOA locations, just to give an example. Plus, it's not always necessary to make a reservation in advance, especially if you're just tent camping. I have NEVER seen nicer bathrooms at a campsite! They are huge buildings, always kept warm and clean. Also, there's usually a cafe, pool, childrens activities (arcade) and a well stocked camp store. (Depending upon where you are, some of these things are seasonal)

In some of the locations, you have a choice between tent or RV camping, cabins (shown on my homepage), cottages or even lodges. Check the website to see what's available where...

The location shown here in the Waves/Rodanthe/Salvo area is surrounded by the Cape Hatteras National Seashore in North Carolina. You also have your own access to the beach and the cabins/tent sites are set back from the dunes.

You do bring your own sleeping bag or linens and they are rather primitive, I guess, to some standards but when the weather might not be condusive to sleeping outside, this is the way to go.

**It's in your best interest to get a value card off their website**

The views from Cape Hatteras Lighthouse! 2

by tpangelinan

This view from Cape Hatteras lighthouse is looking north toward Avon, that is the small town you see in the distance. I'm sure on a much sunnier day than I had here the photos would be better, it was cloudy and rainy this day. Remember 256 step to the top is a what it take for these views.

Cape Hatteras National Seashore

by Astrobuck

The Cape Hatteras lighthouse has been moved from it's original location. It was in danger of being washed into the sea, until all native North Carolinians came to the rescue by raising money to pay for the lighthouse to be moved to it's present location.

The views from Cape Hatteras Lighthouse!

by tpangelinan

After you have climbed the 256 steps to the top you are rewarded with views like this. This view is looking south toward the point where the barrier island turn heading southwest. You can really see how untouched this land actually is. While up top, if you look down you can some times see deer and other critters roaming freely. Grab you camera, it is worth it, the walk up that is, going down is SO much easier!

Outer Banks

by canadianINdc

I want to take my wife to the Outer Banks this May for her 30th Birthday. Can anyone recommend a quiet B&B, that is in a nice area, with things to do around it?

RE: Outer Banks

by Hopkid

You might want to see what's in Manteo. It's not right on the beach, in fact it's west of the intercoastal waterway, but there is a quaint downtown area with shops and restaurants. For something closer to the beach you might try looking in Duck or Nags Head. Sorry I can't recommend a specific property as I've only stayed in rented houses.

by the1truespawn

Manteo is a great recomendation. Nice little town, easy to get to Kill Devils Hill and the Wright Brothers Museum. Also, the very first Brewpub in NC is in Manteo! (Can't remember the name...just ask someone for the German restuarant!)
Not to get off on a rant, but it's an intersting story...the guy who owns it is a German Immigrant who lobbied the state Congress to pass legislation to allow for Microbrews. Hooray for the pioneers of beer!

by Hopkid

The Weeping Radish

by FreeCloud

White Doe Inn at Manteo, my details here:

Here is the official website: http://www.whitedoeinn.com/

Have a good time.

Re: Outer Banks

by beachykeen

If you want a little something off the beaten track, I would recommend the Inn on Pamilco Sound. It is located on Hatteras Island, in the Village of Buxton. It is situated right on the sound where you can watch the sunsets and have a drink in your hand. There is a beach front on the sound so you can kayack, wind surf or just enjoy the quiet. Located near the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and within an easy distance to local restaurants. A must see on Hatteras Island!

best family vacation

by bossmare

Hi Everyone,
Looking to take a family (2 kids, 13 and 9)vacation to somewhere hot with an ocean in late July. Was thinking about Siesta Key, FL but heard the west coast has a problem with red tide and jelly fish to where you can't even go in the ocean.
Next we were thinking about Kiawah Island. Does anyone have any suggestions for us about these 2 choices or any other places to consider? Hubby likes to golf and I like to lounge on a NICE beach.
Thanks!

by Erin09340

I grew up in Clearwater, FL and remember red tide maybe 5 times over 20 years. It happens, but not that often. Of course when it does, it smells terrible. And regarding jellyfish. I only saw one and it was on the beach about as big as a half dollar. I'm biased, since I grew up on the west coast of FL and love it. I can't wait to go back on vacation this summer.
Erin

by myrtle

I really like Destin, Florida, but it will be pretty crowded by that time of year. They have the best beaches in the world and my Dad & brother love the golf courses there. Check out my Destin page and good luck to you.

by myrtle

Oh yeah, and I know nothing about this red tide thing. Maybe that's further south on the West coast since Destin is in the panhandle. Jellyfish (and seaweed) have only been a problem for us later in the year, like around August. You should be fine in July.

by kop-queen

Hi

can someone tell me what is a red tide please?

KQ

by bdwoot

Oh, one more thing. I have always liked Nags Head in North Carolina. It is near Kitty Hawk which has some historical significance. There might be a few nice courses but I don't golf so you might want to research that yourself. Very nice waves, some deserted beaches if that is what you prefer heading south towards Cape Hatteras.

by bdwoot

An algae overgrowth that makes it unsafe to eat seafood or go into the water. It produces a neurotoxin that does nasty stuff to you.

by bossmare

Thanks for the info! Please tell me more about Destin, where's the best place to stay, best restaurants etc.
Thanks again!

by myrtle

We've stayed in many different places in Destin, and we've never been disappointed. We always stay at one of Abbott Resorts condos. Check out their webpage at www.abbott-resorts.com for more info. Most of the places we've stayed at with them have been on Old Highway 98 across the street from the beach, but they do have some places on the beach. I don't mind being across the street from the beach because it's just a little 2 lane road that you cross. Some of my favorite restaurants include Captain Dave's on the Gulf, Harry T's, and the Crab Trap. You can find out lots of great info on the Destin pages here on VT.

Comments