101 Erwin Road, Chapel Hill, NC, 27514

Old WellOld Well

wooden birdwooden bird

view from Franklin Streetview from Franklin Street

Travel Tips for Chapel Hill

Visit one of the three welcome...

by sal-esadmin

The Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau recently opened a Visitors Center downtown, which is worth visiting on your arrival to get help with things to see and do. Then, start by visiting downtown, where you'll be able to explore the world-renowned Morehead Planetarium and Science Center, Ackland Art Museum and lively East and West Franklin Street, among other interesting sites. Chapel Hill has a population of about 50,000, and the University has an enrollment of about 24,000. Chapel Hill has been described as 'the Southern Part of Heaven' (after a 1950 book of that title by William Meade Prince), and Sports Illustrated has described it as the best college town in America. A lot of these acclamations stem from the beauty and pace of the town, which is what first attracted many to the area in the 18th and 19th centuries. In the late 1780s, Chapel Hill was selected as the site of the first state-supported university in the country because of the area's location and 'healthfulness'. When you stroll around the campus, especially in the spring when the dogwoods and azaleas are in bloom, you'll see clearly why the state legislators chose Chapel Hill for its state university. The old homes of the community that surround the campus add immeasurably to the beauty and charm of the area.

Packing List

by Lemonita

During the summer, North Carolina is pretty hot and humid (around 33C). I had the impression it was always sunny : clear blue sky with sun !!

Winters are usually warm but it snowed the year I was there !! So don't hesitate to take a warm coat with you if you happen to be there around Dec/Jan. There are beaches off the coast. Bring your swimming suit !!!

A classic university town

by etfromnc

In spite of being home to the University of North Carolina and its 26,000 rabid students (I graduated from a small private school about nine miles away.) there are still a lot of good things to say about Chapel Hill. Although it is growing well past the point at which it can be referred to as a "town," during my high school and college years it struck me as being the epitome of a "college town." Everything in the town was in some way directly connected to the University.

Great times at University

by YPie

"Happy Days"

I spent a wonderful four months in Chapel Hill in 1998. I was lucky enough that my university in the UK ran an exchange programme with the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, and I got onto the scheme. Even better, a local firm gave me a grant which promptly got spent on flights around the US.

I seemed to spend the four months doing relatively little work and lots of travelling, I'm not sure that's what the university intended, but luckily it didn't affect my degree result!

Unfortunately I didn't have my digital camera then. One day I'll get round to scanning my photos of my American adventure into the computer.

Searching4CU's new Chapel Hill Art Page

by Searching4CU

If you are in Chapel Hill, check out Sizl Gallery in neighboring Carrboro. If you drive down Franklin St. towards Carrboro, it's the red building on the right before you get to where Franklin St. crosses Rosemary. The gallery has many great pieces, and low prices.

Comments