118 E. Woodlawn Rd., Charlotte, North Carolina, 28217, United States
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Charlotte

Morrow's kitchenMorrow's kitchen

Brazas: meat right off the skewerBrazas: meat right off the skewer

The new digs are looking goodThe new digs are looking good

The 4 statues at Trade & TryonThe 4 statues at Trade & Tryon

Travel Tips for Charlotte

Photo gear, etc.

by acemj

Charlotte is very hot and humid between June and August so bring appropriate clothing. February is probably the coldest month, so bring a coat and raingear. It only snow about once a year, and rarely gets below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. The AIA (American Institute of Architects) Convention was just here (May 2002) and I saw a bunch of architects walking around Uptown gazing up at the skyscrapers. It made me think that Charlotte has come a long way and it just might be worth you while to pay us a visit! As always, bring your camera to capture the moments. Bring your camera. The mountains and the beaches are all withing driving distance, so bring you hiking boots and beach towels.

South-side shopping

by acemj about The Arboretum

The Arboretum is a really nice strip mall. I almost hesitate to call it a strip mall, because to me, that phrase has a negative connotation. You'll find some good restaurants, a Harris Teeter grocery store, Walmart, Old Navy a great soccer shop and a place called Pasta & Provisions which sells homemade pastas at reasonable prices, to name only a few.

This photo also shows one of the unique things about the Arboretum; the pond behind the mall. It's a great place to relax and escape the crowds.

Lives up to its rep

by etfromnc about Barrington's

I eat out a lot but will certainly never eat at all of the restaurants in Charlotte. (They open and close too fast to make that a possibility.) I do think, however, that I have eaten at most of the really good ones and a representative sampling of the general fare plus too many of the really poor ones. I have pictures to show the range from A to Z (A & C Grill to Zebra) if I ever conquer this photo uploading thing but I think that I have truly found the best in Charlotte. Last year, I ate at Zebra and while relaxing over dessert, I commented to my waiter that I had a goal of eating at all of the restaurants in Charlotte and that I thought I had found the best. He, and later the manager, thanked me for my kind appraisal of their fare but both asked me if I had eaten at Barrington's. I had not and I was amazed at the willingness of these gentleman to defer to another restaurant. I have now eaten at Barrington's and agree that it is probably the best restaurant in Charlotte but Zebra is a close second. Barrington's is a small, almost hidden restaurant with outstanding food which is surpassed only by the gracious attentiveness of their staff. It is known for its "quiet, romantic neighborhood fare" which I really appreciate. I often eat alone but staff and even people at adjoining tables commonly act like neighborhood friends. Their menu changes frequently so naming a favorite item might be counterproductive but they make masterful mixtures of tastes and textures. The last time that I was there I had a layered combination of salmon, beet confit, and delightfully textured mashed potatoes. Their portions are ample but not overwhelming but, as is typical of their entrees, this was one of those dishes that you want to eat in very small bites and refuse to chew. You want to put tiny portions in your mouth and just savor the flavors and textures as they caress and seduce your tongue and palate.
They do not offer sweetened iced tea and their desserts are not as superb as their entrees but if you are going to eat at only one restaurant in Charlotte, this should be the one. Call for reservations.

Sunrise Restaurant

by etfromnc about Sunrise Restaurant

This was once a fast food restaurant but that has been so long ago that I do not even recall who was there. Hardee's, maybe?
The food is good but not great and the staff are cordial and friendly but they do occasionally remind you of your Aunt Gertie.
DO NOT eat their Salmon Cakes. I love salmon but their salmon patties (as I usually call them) were dry, overcooked, and I really felt that the filler may have been paper or cardboard. Before you get too far from here, please remember that most of the food there is a very good value. Breakfast. Just about everything they serve for breakfast is very good.

The Mint Museum...

by etfromnc

...should actually be The Mint Museums. There are two with a third (which will actually replace the current second) under construction. The name itself is very interesting. There was once a US Mint in Charlotte, during the era when Charlotte was the primary source of gold ore in this country. I am not certain of the time between the closing of the US Mint and the opening of the Mint Museum but the original location of the mint was on West Trade Street, where the Charles R. Jonas (named for the Comgressman who gave me my appointment to the US Naval Academy) Federal Building now stands. To save the remarkable building where the mint had been housed, several civic leaders joined forces to move the building several miles southeast to Myers Park, where the "old wealth" of Charlotte was located.
The other Mint Museum is in Center City in a former upscale lady's fashion shop. It is called the Mint Museum of Craft + Design and tends to feature glass, crafts, fabrics, etc.
In addition to very respectable permanent collections, special exhibitions which are currently showing include:
The Art of Affluence: Haute Couture and Luxury Fashions 1947-2007 through the summer of 2010 at the original museum
Andy Warhol: Cowboys and Indians through May 10, 2009 also at the original museum
Contemporary Ceramics in Israel through June 7 at Craft + Design
The Miniature Worlds of Bruce Metcalf through May 17 also at Craft + Design
Both facilities are closed on Mondays and major holidays. Admission is free on Tuesdays from 10-2 at Craft + Design and from 5-9 PM on Randolph Road

Comments