Golden Green Hotel Charlotte

3024 Independence Blvd (formerly Independence Hotel), Charlotte, North Carolina 28205, United States
Golden Green Hotel
Booking.com Priceline.com Otel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Charlotte

Providence RoadProvidence Road

typical modern (upmarket) flat in Ballantynetypical modern (upmarket) flat in Ballantyne

acemj checking his VT mailacemj checking his VT mail

A Fun Group Goes To BrunchA Fun Group Goes To Brunch

There is NO place like HOME....

by TProcopis

Not a question, just a comment. I have moved away from Charlotte to London, England. BOY, I thought when moving to Charlotte after my divorce was like moving to a huge city where the streets were as confusing as a bowl of roman noodles. I was wrong...London takes a good hour just to drive out of the center of it. I miss my Charlotte and wish for the day I may go back. A city with charm, tradition, growth, and heart. It really isnt a touristy place, but as a single divorced mom, I made it a home I will always hold in my heart. Thank goodness I still have my home there and one day I will be home again...There truley is no place like home.

RE: There is NO place like HOME....

by donpoe

Hi there. My wife and I moved to Charlotte (Mint Hill, actually) from the Washington, D.C. area 3 years ago. We love our new house and the people here are very friendly, as I'm sure you know, but culturally it is a good ways behind D.C., and London too, and we miss that. Theatre for example. And ethnic food too, but all of that is changing and it's good to see. And of course the weather here beats London all to pieces.

As to driving in London, you're right. So don't do it! I lived in Canterbury for a year (I was on a sabbatical leave) and we would drive to the London fringes, park the car and take the tube on in.

Anyway, enjoy the cultural exchange while you have it. Like books? Visit Foyles on Charing Cross Road for me, will you?

Best of luck from Charlotte.

Don Poe
donpoejr@carolina.rr.com

Travel Tips for Charlotte

The Green

by acemj

The Green is a new development just across from the Charlotte Convention Center Uptown. In this picture, you can see the Wachovia tower in the background and the top of some luxury condos that are very characteristic of the type of housing in Uptown. These places are nice, but extremely expensive (as in $1.3 million).

Linville, NC

by acemj

About 2 hours from Charlotte in the mountains between Asheville and Boone you'll find Linville. This is a picture of the Linville Gorge, but you'll also find some amazing caverns, hiking trails and waterfalls in the area.

Uptown dining

by Sassy417 about Red Rocks Cafe

Plush dining experience & friendly staff greet guests upon arrival.
We held my daughters rehearsal dinner here.
Nice atmosphere, great food, we booked the baquet hall for this occasion. It was most elegant & charming. Chicken dish, salad, vegetable, rolls, dessert, tea.

The newest Thai restaurant in Charlotte

by etfromnc about Deejai

This delightful new Thai restaurant opened just last month (April, 2009) but the owners have extensive in operating Thai restaurants in their family's restaurants in Atlanta, SC, and elsewhere. The food is delightful but the most special aspect of the operation is that the owners and staff are already a team which shows every sign of wanting to assure that all of their diners have most memorable experiences. My waitress, Julie H., although moderately busy on the occasion of my first visit, took the time to take the photos displayed within this tip and then e-mailed them to me twice when I mangled her first effort to manipulate them. Since I have only visited this establishment once, it is probably unfair to select a favorite menu item, but two of the photos should support the fact that their presentation is excellent and, for now at least, you will just have to accept my word that these two items were excellent. I will be going back and will try to keep this tip updated as DEEJAI Thai Restaurant grows upon the Charlotte culinary scene.

One of my Top Five

by etfromnc about Zebra Restaurant

My first visit to the Zebra Restaurant was one of the half-dozen or so greatest dining experiences since returning to the Charlotte area. The service was amazing (and if you have read any of my other tips, you will know that I am not prone to hyperbole). The staff was attentive and everything came and went at near the perfect time, yet I never felt croded nor rushed. They were both efficient and knowledgeable but never officious as some of their nearby neighbors often tend to be. The ambience is also ideal, although it can get a bit crowded on weekends. A Taste of South Africa, AKA ostrich au poivre and grilled boerewors (grilled South African farmer sausage) with nutmeg scented spaghetti squash, red yam flan, and roasted zucchini. It is also quite remarkable that I like this so much since I generally do not like any squash other than breaded and deep fried zucchini but it was great and it prepared me for some of the experiences which I had in South Africa last summer (their winter). The meal finished with a pistachio chevre grape which was small but sensational.

Comments