Hampton Inn Charlotte-Uptown

Hampton Inn Charlotte - Uptown
Travelocity Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Charlotte

Darcy Donovan and Joe Polsgrove at the Big ChillDarcy Donovan and Joe Polsgrove at the Big Chill

Charlotte Knights Stadium: Fort Mill, SCCharlotte Knights Stadium: Fort Mill, SC

acemj by the fountainacemj by the fountain

Charlotte Convention CenterCharlotte Convention Center

CLT Transfers

by Hexepatty

Hi... How do you get from CLT airport to downtown. Besides Cabs. Any public transit? CLT website doesn't mention any!

THANKS!

RE: CLT Transfers

by donpoe

Hi there. I live in a suburb in the southeast section of Charlotte. I have never taken public transportation to the airport (I drive), but I'll do what I can to help. You already know that there are cabs, but there is also a shuttle bus service to downtown and hotels. Like all shuttle services, costs depend on how many riders there are and where they are going. If the driver can consolidate, then it's cheaper. Ask at curbside and try to get a bunch of other travelers to join you.

However, maybe the best bet is to check out buses running regular routes. (There is no light rail as yet; sorry.) If you go onto their website (link below) you can type in your arrival date and time and they will respond with the schedule.

Be sure to ask if you have more questions and I'll see what I can do from this end. Or perhaps others out there have had more experience with this than I have.

Hope your trip goes well.

Don Poe
Charlotte
donpoejr@carolina.rr.com

Travel Tips for Charlotte

Freedom Park

by b1bob

Although Charlotte is a big city and financial centre, it enjoys its parks. Once upon a time, Freedom Park was a "warning and danger" tip at night. However, better policing sent the deviants, perverts and pushers to other places. In this snap, a family was dining underneath a blooming tree and next to a World war 2 memorial.

The gardens

by acemj

The gardens on the grounds of the Biltmore Estate are full of interesting things to see. It's a whole lot more than just the house itself. The gardens are especially great in the spring and summer and you'll also find an equestrian center, miles of pathways for horseback riding, creeks and lakes, and gorgeous open fields.

Vietnamese home cookin'

by Deborahtnc about Lang Van

Despite its unpreposessing exterior and somewhat dubious neighborhood, Lang Van is an oasis of delicious smells and exquisite service. The people who run this restaurant know what they are doing. The decor is minimal, plants and such. The menu is enormous. I had a ginger stir fry on the specials menu to which I added fried Tofu...but you could add beef or chicken.
The sauce is made with lots of fresh ginger...truly delicious. The tofu was perfectly fried: crispy on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside. We have also tried an appetizer which comes with mounds of fresh cilantro, basil, noodles and shrimp (or chicken, beef etc) These are served with a large bowl of hot water and very thin rice sheets. You dip the sheets in the water to soften and "build" your own spring roll, topping it off with peanut sauce. A great experience and tasty, too. As I mentioned, the menu is quite large and includes Vietnamese hot pots, noodles, soups, and vegetarian cuisine as well as varied meat, fish and poultry dishes.

I am not too old to have new experiences

by etfromnc about Cuisine Malaya

I have never been to Malaysia and cannot recall eany Malaysian food before today, but now I have and I am in love. I had a doctor's appointment this morning which was significantly shorter than I had anticipated. My niece works in the hospital adjacent to the doctors' offices so I had hoped to take her to lunch after my appointment but when I caught up with her she had just finished breakfast. I had been fasting for laboratory work and was famished. Elizabeth Avenue is an old Charlotte which has just been totally refurbished to make it look more quaint, etc. and there is at least one restaurant on Elizabeth which I had not tried before so I decided to try give it a go. Some of our best decisions are accidentally foisted upon us, or are there such things as accidents? I was their first customer for the day so the service was great but it continued to be so even after the lunch crowd began to pour in. I introduced myself to my waitress and told her that I knew absolutely nothing about Malaysian cuisine so I needed her help. She informed me that she was Chinese but that she had worked here for several years. We discussed Malaysian food and my culinary preferences for a couple minutes and she made some suggestions which I followed and I had a delightful gustatory cap to my morning. Beef Rendang, as Cuisine Malaya does it, consists of finger-sized (human fingers, not the chicken fingers which a lot of restaurants offer that are 3-4" long and as thick as two or three of your fingers) chunks of beef delightfully cooked in a mildly spicy brown sauce unlike anything I have ever found in a Chinese or Japanese but somewhat reminiscent of "some" Korean bulgogi sauces which I have had. The beef and a generous serving of the sauce were served in an individual serving-sized bowl with room temperature, but previously steamed, broccoli and cool, but not cold, pineapple. The whole thing was accompanied by an also generous serving of steamed rice and preceded by a lettuce and cucumber salad with a ginger-based dressing. Delightful!! I shall return.

Pretty good local Mexican Chain

by etfromnc about Zapatas Cantinas

As I understand the situation, this is a small local chain of Mexican restaurants. There are only three units but they are pretty convenient to most people in the Charlotte area. One is in the Ballantyne area, another is near Lake Norman, and the third is in the University City area. My favorite is the one in the University City area and I think that I prefer it because of its basement which can give you almost a rathskeller feel. A Mexican rathskeller? The decor approximates the southwest but having lived in Arizona and Texas for about 15 years, it seems a bit artificial for my taste. The food and service are generally good but they do not seem to ramp up their staff for peak hours. If you happen to be there at the height of the weekday lunch rush or on Friday or Saturday evenings, you should try not to be in a hurry. During slower times, they are very cordial and will even sit and talk with you on occasion. I have not had a bad meal at Zapatas but my favorite time to go is is for a late lunch when the crowd has thinned a bit and and you can still enjoy any of several combination meals for about $7. My personal favorite among those is the enchilada and tostada plate.

Comments