9110 Southern Pine Blvd, Charlotte, North Carolina, 28273, United States
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

More about Charlotte

The Green in Uptown looking not so green.The Green in Uptown looking not so green.

D.L. Philips Sports ComplexD.L. Philips Sports Complex

Midwood CornersMidwood Corners

Wang Kee Chinese RestaurantWang Kee Chinese Restaurant

Need a good bakery

by Fishinguspo

Will be visiting my dear mother in law in August and I need to find a really good bakery in order to get her a birthday cake for her 67 birthday. Now does that sound corny, not really because I really like good birthday cake. Come on, help me out on this one. I live in Tampa, Florida and I have helped out plenty of VTers.

RE: Need a good bakery

by hawkhead

Sorry I have no specific answers but do you know any of her neighbours/friends who might be able to give you some advice on a good bakery. The only suggestion is that years ago when we were visiting San Antonio our friends ordered an icecream cake for our son (decoation and shape was military, so probably not appropriate for your mother in law) - a huge success. How about the Yellow Pages or equivalent? Good luck.

Travel Tips for Charlotte

A Town Within A Town

by bdbrewer

Located in a very exclusive portion of Charlotte is a virtual town within a town. It used to be a golf resort. Not it is almost an entirely self-contained area - and very exclusive. These monuments (four of them) bracked the large interchange where the city within a city is located.

Another shot

by acemj

I haven't been to Linville in a couple of years, so maybe it's about time I returned. There are so many small waterfalls in the mountains that are worth seeking out. I've hiked three trails in Linville, but there are hundreds to choose from. Some are easier than others so whether you're a serious hiker or a novice, you can find something appropriate.

Decisions, Decisions . . .

by acemj about Too Many Restaurant Tips!!!!

I know I have a lot of restaurant suggestions on this page, so I thought I would try to narrow it down. After all, if you're only in town for a few days, you won't be able to try them all!

So, here are my top 5 in no particular order:

Cajun Queen : make sure you go to the one on 7th Street for great atmosphere, music and food. A local classic serving New Orleans-style food.

Dim Sum : Charlotte's best Chinese restaurant. Just be sure you order from the authentic Chinese menu.

Ethan's : A relatively new local restaurant with a great owner/chef and creative food in a great old home

Bubba's Barbecue : Not my favorite kind of food, but it's definitely a local specialty and this place serves up authentic Eastern North Carolina style barbecue.

Lupie's Cafe : Another local institution serving the best bowl of chili around.

See my individual tips for details on each of these places or just email me for more individually tailored suggestions.

"Upbeat City Dining"

by FreeCloud about Palomino Restaurant Rotisseria Bar

Self claimed ‘famous for its rich and stylish ambiance.” Providing ‘European-inspired regional American cuisine”.

The deco generally speaking is contemporary, elegant and grand, however the flower arrangements dotted here and there gives an old country lady feeling, which is incompatible with the general atmosphere tries to provide.

The dining tables are of various interesting shapes and made of marble. Staff is well knowledge and professional. - Portobello Mushroom Soup $4.95:
Cream based, rich and very tasty

- Halibut $ 23.95:
Artistically presented and layers of flavors.

See their menu: http://www.r-u-i.com/plo/menu.php

Gumba style

by acemj about Luce Ristorante e Bar

In early January of 2004, Eddie, Dennis, Don, Rob and I (some of my boys) headed up to Luce and had a great meal. Later on in the night, Rob brought a couple ladies, worked a little of his magic and made the world an even better place, but before they arrived, we had consumed some antipasto, salads, osso buco, various risottos, and some grilled whole branzino (a Mediterranean sea bass), and who knows how much wine? If you ever get a chance, try a 1999 Casa Emma Soloio . . . a spectucular, peppery red with plum accents.

The ambience is cool too. This is a white table-cloth, ceiling fresco, fancy bathroom type of joint with excellent service. The frescoes hint at classic Renaissance mixed with a few modern touches. All of the frescoes are done by locally famous artist, Ben Long. There's one of St. Francis of Assisi and on another wall, there's a depiction of the former CEO of Charlotte-based Bank of America, Hugh McColl. I knew this would be a great night when the waiter brought me my whole grilled branzino and offered to filet the fish at the table side. When I asked him to leave the head on the plate, no one at the table thought that was too weird. They all knew me well enough to know that I grew up in Hong Kong and that I couldn't resist eating two perfectly good fish eyes! Yum.

Comments