8520 University Executive Park, Charlotte, North Carolina, 28262, United States
Booking.com HolidayInn.com Priceline.com

More about Charlotte

CharlotteCharlotte

Reedy Creek ParkReedy Creek Park

chef nearly scorches my camera!chef nearly scorches my camera!

One of four large monuments in an exclusive areaOne of four large monuments in an exclusive area

From train to airport

by SusanMiller007

I am attending the event at the Aviation Museum on Saturday. I'm arriving by Train. What is the best way to get to the museum from the Train Station?

by mccalpin

Do you mean the Aviation Museum at Charleston Air Force Base or the Patriot's Point Naval & Maritime Museum near the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier?

Bill

by SusanMiller007

It said the "Carolinas Aviation Museum". It's on 4108 Minuteman Way (also known as Airport Drive). I do know that it is by the airport and is in an airplane hanger.

Thanks,
Susan

by mccalpin

Oh, silly me...I misread Charlotte as Charleston...oops...;-)

Hmmmn, this is embarrassing...but I can't remember if I've ever been to Charlotte...well, if I have it was a business trip so probably no help...

www.viamichelin.com reports that the distance from the train station (near the city center) to the museum at the Charlotte Douglas International Airport is between 6.5 and 12 miles - apparently the most direct route is not the fastest (I assume because of traffic lights).

I am assuming that most people would rent a car and while I haven't checked, the odds are pretty good that there is one or more car rental places near the train station...or were you asking for the best route?

Bill

Travel Tips for Charlotte

Go Downtown! Charlotte's...

by Fezz

Go Downtown! Charlotte's Downtown is awesome! Its clean and really gives this city a good name. Nice restaurants and shops and museums. The Imax is very cool to. The first time I really lived away from home, hours away from my parents was when I was here! I got to experienceliving in a city by myself!

Outdoor activities in/near Charlotte

by HokieinNC

If you are looking for outdoor activities, golf courses are abound in Charlotte, albeit a bit expensive. If you're looking for a fun day hike, Crowders Mountain is the closest hiking opportunity 30 minutes away in Gastonia. Actually, rock climbers also come to Crowders to hone their skills.

There are six solid mountain biking trails in the Charlotte area as well. These include Renaissance Park, Catawba Riverfront Park, Francis Beatty Park, Beech Springs Mtn Bike Park (near Concord), Anne Springs (just south in SC), and North Mecklenburg Park near Huntersville. Most are fun and fast and cater to all levels of mountain biker.

There are a number of parks in and around the city that are very family-friendly and safe. For water activities, i.e., boating, fishing, Lake Norman and/or Lake Wylie are not far away. There is also talk of putting a manmade whitewater park on the Catawba River, just a few miles down I-85.

US Airways

by acemj

Charlotte is a hub for US Airways and they fly to and from Charlotte more than any other airline. Hopefully, their recent financial woes won't spell disaster for the airline and they will be able to continue being a viable business.

Cajun Cuisine

by etfromnc about Cajun Yard Dog

There are two restaurants in Charlotte with "Cajun" in their name. The more famous one is not my favorite. It may have more ambiance and does offer live music several nights per week but for my money the food and service at the Cajun Yard Dog more than make up for the lack of too-loud music and outdoor dining. If you are on a first date and want to impress your date with more than the food, you may want to opt for the Cajun Queen but if you are comfortable with who you are and allowing your date to judge you rather than where you can take her to eat and both of you like Cajun cuisine, go for the Cajun Yard Dog. Cajun catfish. It was blackened and with a definite Cajun flair. The trimmings were not fancy but were delicious and ample, cole slaw and French fries.

Care for a Rioja?

by acemj about Don Quijote

The first time I ever tried Don Quijote's food was at work. As a member of a board that deals with diversity issues, I suggested that we have a food day and this was one of the places that catered the event. They brought paella to our office in the biggest paella pans I'd ever seen and it was great!! However, the food is even better when you go to the restaurant and sit amidst the arched doorways, Spanish tiles, Andalusian prints and bullfighting posters.
The wait staff is usuallly very knowledgeable about the menu and can recommend some of their favorites and will help in pairing it with a great Spanish wine. I was here with VTer b1bob (Nat) recently and enjoyed a great and appropriately late meal of tapas, wine and seafood. We had some champi├▒ones (mushrooms) and gambas (shrimp) for starters and both were excellent.
Our waiter recommended a great tempranillo (Spanish red wine) that was also excellent and went well with the red snapper I had served with rice, clams and shrimp. Nat had a rice dish with pork, chicken and lamb.

The bill came to around $60.

Comments