Marriott Charlotte Executive Park

CrownePlaza.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Charlotte

UNCCUNCC

Ericsson Stadium....Home of The Carolina PanthersEricsson Stadium....Home of The Carolina Panthers

A typical Charlotte streetsignA typical Charlotte streetsign

web shotweb shot

When is southbound evening rush hour on I-77?

by davidscny

I'm driving from western New York to South Carolina and probably taking I-81 and I-77 in part to avoid Washington. However, I'm afraid the timing will have me in Charlotte at rush hour. Maybe I can arrive before it hits. Would traffic on I-77 southbound be heavy between 3 and 5 p.m.? I'm thinking that's largely the reverse commute but then when we pass the city proper we'd be in the heading-home direction. Any advice? Thanks!

by YVRDave

In most N.A. cities rush hour starts closer to 5 that 3. As you stated you will hit the heading home traffic past the city, then again maybe Charlotte traffic isn`t the rush hour you know.
Might be good to leave 30-60 minutes earlier or stop for dinner, a long one.
Safe trip

by jonellis

It is heavier than mid day, but I had no real problems at the time you mention. I have been through there a dozen or more times and never got caught in a major backup. And most times have been at that hour. I would not be too concerned about it. If it does slow down, I doubt it will last long. I make that trip from Florida to Vermont and return every year, and have been doing that for 18 years.

by osoeno

It will be trafficky, but hopefully not to bad. Sometimes Charlotte is real smooth and easy and sometimes its a mess. Just have a cooler full of cold water and snacks and some patience just in case. If you are heading to a beach you might as well get used to packed roads.

Travel Tips for Charlotte

Do some side trips

by saltwaterandsails

North Carolina has a lot of attractions. And many are within an easy drive of Charlotte.

Highlights:

*Pawley Island
*Asheville & Surrounding area
*Lake Norman
*Duke University
*Chapel Hill

Lowlights
Myrtle Beach didn't excite me much
Raleigh didn't do much for me

Watch Airplanes Take Off at Charlotte Douglas

by DillonHinson

An official overlook maintained and operated by the city of Charlotte, this small park overlooks runway 18R at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) and provides an excellent view of the tarmac and terminals as well as the skyscrapers of Charlotte that are off in the distance. This spot is a great place for both amateur and professional photographers, especially aviation ones. Planes are within approximately 850 feet of you. There are several benches to sit on that are positioned in front of the parking spots. However, if you want a different angle to view planes landing and taking off, there is a side walk outside the overlook's gates that follows the road all the way to and past the end of the runway. Like at the overlook, there are benches located there as well. Planes fly directly overhead from this spot at the end of the runway, probably no more than 100 feet above you. But make sure you park at the overlook and walk to this spot. Parking on the side of the road is illegal and cops will pull over and get you (obvious security reasons). The overlook opens at 8am and closes at 10:30pm. It is usually most crowded during midday all week and late evenings on the weekends. The area around the overlook consists of mostly industrial places that are spread out and construction sites (they are building a new runway), so be aware of your surroundings. Crime isn't a problem, but the area is rather empty and isolated. So I recommend going with a companion. The Overlook is located on Old Dowd Rd.

Power smoking . . .

by acemj about Cutter's

Cutter's is the kind of place that you might imagine a bunch of overfed powerbrokers going to in order to discuss world domination or the latest bank merger. Wood panelled walls, rich leather sofas, an elegant pool table and stately art give this place a warm and powerful feel. It's not exactly my kind of place, but if you're into cigars, you'll be in heaven. As a matter of fact, I didn't realize how sexy it is to see a woman smoke a cigar until I came here . . .

I was here with a banking friend of mine who knows a lot more than I do about cigars. He smoked a $24 La Gloria Cubana and I had an $18 C.A.O. brand. Mine was more mellow than his heavy, full bodied stogie, but I'm no expert on cigars. In fact, this was the first time I've ever actually finished one on my own. Not bad, but I wouldn't do it too often. Most people will be coming from work, so business casual is acceptable.

Charlotte's Home of Cajun Cuisine

by etfromnc about The Cajun Queen

Cajuns are known for their joie de vivre -- which they express with their melodic tunes, and spicy, flavorful cuisine. The Cajun Queen consistently serves up a heaping helping of the N'awlins food that makes Louisiana so proud -- without an expensive trip to the Bayou. The Cajun Queen is located in an early 20th Century home in the Elizabeth neighborhood and is a recipient of many "best of" awards, and rave reviews (including a 4.5-star rating from Charlotte Citysearchers). With live music seven days a week and a menu packed with favorites like gumbo, étouffée, shrimp and grits, and blackened catfish, one trip here will have you saying, "Laissez les bons temps rouler!" The gumbo is the most authentic food which I have had there but I also enjoy going in, sitting at the bar, and listening to the music (on nights when they do not have the 100 decibel musicians) while scarfing down an appetizer or two.

Must be pretty good

by etfromnc about Whooli's

According to a review in The Charlotte Observer newspaper, Whooli's is "The Best Eatery out of all Sports Bars in Charlotte." I do not really even think of it as a sports bar, although they do have several TVs, but I suppose that I should not argue with Charlotte's most popular newspaper. I would have been more likely to have described it as a neighborhood bar and grill but I suppose that its location on one of Charlotte's busiest thoroughfares might take it out of that class. The owner is the primary daytime grill man and although some people try to make him out as gruff and tough, he is a pretty good guy. For me the highlights are that the food really is above average for this type of establishment and that the waitstaff (waitresses to me) are very friendly, attentive, and helpful. As with a lot of places, I really do not have a favorite dish here. I usually eat the daily special or whatever the waitress recommends. I have not tried the Whooli Special yet because I really am trying to lose a pound or two but Janna says that it really is good so I will try it the next time that I am in there so that I can report on it for my vast reading audience. So far, I have tried burgers and a ham and cheese sandwich and all were excellent.
I do have one mild complaint about the food. All of their sandwiches come with potato chips, the American kind not the ones we love in merry ol' England. They do have fries but that bumps the price of your sandwich up by $1.75.

Comments