132 East Trade Street, Charlotte, North Carolina, 28280, United States

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Omni Charlotte Hotel

Nice room-friendly manager!

by TripAdvisor Member footballgametraveler

I stayed in Charlotte with my 2yr old son over the weekend to attend a football game. Upon check-in, their was a problem with the arrangements my travel agent made for payment of the room. I asked to speak with the manager "Jill was her name." She was real polite and listened to me. I ended up giving her another credit card, and all worked out. The room was very clean, the bed was big and plush. The only problem we had was that the TV did not have the best reception (it might have been because of the surrounding highrises)also, I was awakened at 1:45 am to some loud people in the hallway. I called security, and they were quieted shortly afterwards. Overall it was a nice hotel. I will stay at the Omni in Boston next week, and am glad to do so. Also,the tip from a previous review was great, sign up on their website and become a member.

Great Experience at the Omni

by TripAdvisor Member platynum1

After reading the other reviews, I was a little leery about this Omni, but my fears were unfounded. The room was an average size, but it was very clean and the beds were very comfortable - extended double beds with lots of pillows and feather/down comforters. It also had a mini-bar, one telephone, comfy chair, and desk/chair with electrical outlets. I think the shower/toilet area was tiny, but it is separate from the sink and vanity, which helps when everyone is trying to get dressed at the same time. From the 7th floor, the view facing the street wasn't great, but I remembered the great deal we got through Hotwire, and got over it. If you see the cleaning lady, you can ask for replacement coffee/tea or toiletries - it's automatically replaced in most 4 star hotels, but they cleaned the rooms quickly and quietly, replacing all towels and cleaning used glasses. The location in uptown is pretty good - 1 block from the City's transportation hub (where the County buses and the "Gold Rush", the free uptown circulator all connect). The gym has a few treadmills, a bike, TV and free weights. The pool is outdoors and was closed when I went in January. The hotel is attached to a mini-mall (Overstreet Mall), which has a Starbucks, several quick-stop restaurants, a wine shop, a small Belk store, an ATM as well as a clothing store; and an office building housing 20 or so businesses. The workers in the hotel were friendly and helpful in recommending area restaurants as well as providing directions to the trolley, the South Park shopping mall, other hotels, library & museums, etc., which are all either within walking distance from the hotel, or very easy to get to by bus. Check in/out was a breeze. When I went to Charlotte for a conference about 8 months ago I stayed at the Hilton, which was no better a hotel than the Omni (although the trolley and convention center are right behind the Hilton), and costs twice as much.

Ok - not the best

We stayed at the Omni for 3 nights. Overall it was a ok stay. The rooms are nice and large but the bathrooms are very small and dated.

The lobby area was fine - it was nice to have the choice of shops in the lobby.

Luxury Lacking

by TripAdvisor Member ChaucerLady

My husband and I live in the area and stayed for one night at the Omni after a black tie affair held in Founder's Hall, which is connected to the Omni via walkway. I enjoy staying in luxury accommondations and the website for the Omni looked promising. SInce it was connected we thought it would be the perfect option. All I can say is that I can't wait for the Ritz to open in Charlotte in 2008! When I called two separate times everyone seemed confused about my simple questions and when they put me on hold the next person to pick up had no idea why I was calling and I had to re-explain everything all over again. I hate that! I was asking about parking and some other simple things that they should all have easily known about. When I arrived at the hotel parking lot at 5:00pm on the dau we checked in I was told that the parking lot was full and I should come back at 5:30 after the hotel employees would have left. I had to get ready for the event and didn't have time to drive around Charlotte for a half hour!! I told her this and asked her where I was supposed to go and she said that there was a Starbucks nearby. But where was I going to park for that!! She said she would give me a ticket anyway and I could try to find a spot. I did right on the first level so I don't know why there was so much trouble trying to get a spot and why do the employees have preference over paying customers? The line for check-in was long and the woman in front of me was taking forever, using her cell phone to try to get her husbands credit card information. The others lines filled up and emptied before I even got to the counter. The desk clerk should have asked her to step to the side instead of standing there and doing nothing while he waited. I had booked a junior suite, but was disappointed by the size of the room and layout. The TV is on the side of the bed so you have to crane your neck to watch it from the bed. The bed was comfortable, but the bathroom was very small and there was mold in the tiles and on the ceiling. The water temperature fluctuated between scalding and freezing for both my and my husband's showers. After the event we went to the bar off the lobby where the female bartender told us repeatedly that she had been there for over twelve hours and used the "f" word loudly. It took us forever to get some drinks and she was only chit-chatting with some customers at the bar instead of serving waiting customers. It was unpleasant surroundings and poor service. When we got back to our room we were hungry and decided to call room service. The menu was unclear as to what was available at this time of night and the phone on the desk wasn't even connected. The phone by the bed worked but when we called at midnight they informed us that they didn't serve anything hot! Nothing hot! How hard is it to make a burger and fries? We ordered cold turkey sandwiches and potato chips and a Cobb salad. When it came the meals were covered with plastic wrap with dates written on them with marker. The salad was from 1/23 and we were there on 1/27!! It had eggs on it! The wrap sandwich was only one day old, while the other sandwich had no date at all. SCARY! We called down and they said that was the last Cobb they had and offered a Caesar instead. No thanks! Just take it off the bill! We had breakfast in the morning which was marginally better - hey at least it was hot. Check out was also a pain. There is a twelve dollar per car parking fee and they charged me for the one local call I made from the room. I don't know where to stay in Charlotte for a luxury experience, but the Omni isn't it. Oh- and the construction taking place across the street where the Convention Center used to be made for a lovely view and such a quiet morning! And the curtains were hanging off the track making for a motel-esque chic look. And the hallway smelled like a musty, damp attic. Stay here if you need a place to stay in Charlotte for business, but nothing else.

Dated, Not Up to Omni Standards

by TripAdvisor Member Phunky

I stayed in The Charlotte Omni last week during a business trip. Unfortunately, after my stay at The San Francisco Omni, my expectations were, but not met.

Positives: The location in uptown CLT was a great benefit. I could walk to where the meetings were taking place, and, since I work late mostly, I could always find a place to eat that was still open. The bed was as comfortable as always. Omni has great beds. Very friendly people.

Negatives: The room itself was very dated. There wasn't any high-speed Internet unless you rented one of their wireless connectors from the front desk. If you already have wireless, you should be good to go, but connectivity might be a little difficult to configure.

The furniture was marred, and there was mold in the bathroom, particularly where the sink counter met the backslash, and under the shower's handle. The shower had hardly any pressure and I actually ran out of hot water. It was very difficult to keep a steady temp. The sink faucet was loose, too.

Although it's very rare to find a bad Omni, this is the one. It could use a complete update and renovation. Let's hope that's soon.

Discusting hotel

Potential hotel guests beware. The Charlotte Onmi hotel is a very old, dirty hotel. If you are booked here for a group don't stay. Go down the block and stay at the Westin which is clean and beautiful. When I could finally check into the hotel I had to go get a vacume and spray bottle to clean my own room. The housekeep said she had already cleaned but I found the most discusting "stuff" on my desk, nightstand, window sills and of course bathroom. I had to walk in the room with my socks on because the floors were so dirty. The Manager on duty said they had been sold out and was sorry that would not keep up with the rooms. The allowed me to clean my own room. How lame! The rest of the stay was no better. The daily housekeeping was no better. I looked at 3 other rooms to move into and all of them were as worn and dirty. This place should be ashamed of themselves.

OK Room

by TripAdvisor Member GottaRun

Disgusting? No. Omni standard? No, again. As stated, this hotel is ripe for renovation. On our recent stay we found our rooms clean, appealing bed, pleasant smelling, and no mold in the bathrooms. We also found the staff helpful, prompt, and courteous. The hotel is located within walking distance to several restaurants (Zink Restaurant was our favorite) and clubs, as well as the convention center. The hotel is also attached to the downtown mall, however, shops were closed on Saturday and Sunday. If I went to Charlotte for another business trip, and other downtown hotels were unavailable or $50/night more than the Omni, then I would stay at this hotel again. I would not stay at this hotel if on vacation. Find something with more of a “wow” factor. If you can negotiate a price for about $100 per night, then you will enjoy your stay at the Charlotte Omni.

Loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member havefuntoo

After winning a great deal through Priceline, I read some bad reviews here on TA, had some buyer's regret. My feelings were unfounded as this was a fantastic stay!

The lobby is modern and elegant. Check in was quick, and customer service was friendly. The rooms were well appointed, nice toiletries, and the bed was FANTASTIC. Very comfortable, great sheets, lots of pillows. There is easy escalator access to a mall downstairs with lots of upscale boutiques and a Starbucks.

ABSOLUTELY NOT ONE COMPLAINT, and I am a picky, well-travelled person.

I would avoid taking advice from someone who spells digusting incorrectly!!

Exceeded expectations

First let me say that I was a little apprehensive after reading many negative posts about this hotel on this very website. I went into it with a sense of foreboding. I am a difficult person to please but also realistic. I look forward to a nice hotel as part of any trip I take.
I was impressed from the moment I arrived. My room was booked using priceline for 90.00 a night, so I certainly didn't expect a penthouse. Check-in was less than 2 minutes. We had a choice of valet vs self park, bell hop vs self baggage handlling. I appreciate this as We only had one light bag. I didn't feel uncomfortable by choosing to carry it myself. We entered our room and were astounded by the luxury that the Priceline price had bought us. The room was oversized with a King bed. One entire wall was windows with a great city view. The bathroom was HUGE. It had real marble tile, separate soaking tub and oversized glass surround marble shower. The toilet was off to the side in a room that was larger than the entire bathroom in the 4 star NYC hotel we were in just 2 weeks ago. Staff was very helpful and attentive. I will stay at this hotel anytime I visit Charlotte. Do not be afraid.

Comments