Sheraton Charlotte Hotel

555 South McDowell, (former Adam's Mark Charlotte), Charlotte, North Carolina, 28204, United States

• tatyanap's Profile Photo

Great location!

Overall, we were very pleased with this hotel. It's located in Charlotte's business district, within easy walking from many attractions and restaurants and just six miles from Charlotte/Douglas International Airport.

We had a room on the 14th floor with a balcony -- awesome view!!! Our room was very nice, although bathroom was showing some wear -- it was very clean, though.

My only complaint is that concierge was not always on duty.

Unique Quality: There are two restaurants on-site, plenty of meeting space, health club, sauna, racquetball courts, pools, whirlpool, gift shop, laundry/dry cleaning, room service, etc.

More about The Blake Hotel

Run, Don"t stop at the Blake Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member 2read

This hotel is horrible! Shall I begin with the room not ready at check in, no hot water for 12 hours.( yes in the winter), bugs in the sink, telephone not working, different rates for guests, peeling wallpaper. mildew, mold, poor service- a blanket requested never received. How did this hotel get a four star rating ? Run do not stay at this dump . I paid $197 per day for three days. I need a a refund. The advertisement and photo are very misleading

Still renovating, but getting nicer all the time

by TripAdvisor Member kimmstree

The Blake has an excellent location with fantastic city views. The lobby and common rooms are decorated in upscale European Deco. The rooms have comfortable new bedding and mattresses and many have all new furnishings and carpeting. The staff is superb. They are happy to serve, helpful, and pleasant. The price was substantially lower than other properties closeby.

No words to describe how horrible my experience was..

by TripAdvisor Member Mostflyest1

Absolutely disgusting...right from moldy bath tubs to dirty hallways... I actually had housekeeping pick up my personal colored bath towel off my bed (mistaken it as their own) without making the bed... They never found the towel and I am still waiting for management to call me back... whenever that is!!! STAY AWAY!!!!!

Filthy rooms

by TripAdvisor Member matoddlemley

There were exposed wires in our room, mold in the corners of the bathroom. One outlet had smoke residue on it and the wall, I assume something had blown up while plugged into the wall there. Very dissapointing. I contacted the front desk who said they would send someone up. Never happened. When I checked out I was told it was too late to do anything about it. I have learned stay with name recognition. At least those chains care.

Great experience!

by TripAdvisor Member travelbound123

We stayed at The Blake a couple of weeks ago and had a great time! Great location, close to Uptown. The room had new furniture - the bed was comfortable! The staff were really helpful giving us recommendations for dinner. Overall, we had a wonderful time and would definitely recommend this hotel!

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member lcc022572

After reading the reviews on the Blake, I was prepared for the worst. We were booked through work and were thus unable to alter the reservation. After being here, however, I don't understand what the negative reviews are about except that perhaps many were written pre-renovation. The hotel is exceptionally comfortable, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Great exercise room and bar/lounge, and I loved the little snack shop open 24 hours. I'm a bit phobic of germs, but I was very comfortable here. The rooms, hallways, and lobby are clean. The elevators still need a little work, but I was certainly not startled by any uncleanliness. The bathroom shows a little wear, but what can we expect in a hotel that's not brand-new. Very charming place, and central to a great city. Enjoy!

Needs some time to finish renovations... but otherwise, OK!

by TripAdvisor Member GaRockstar

Old Adam's Mark property in process of renovating. Lobby and most rooms seem to be updated. After talking to other guests, we determined that the smoking floor seems least updated. Public and in-room bathrooms have not been renovated and are cramped and worn. Air-conditioning units are loud and distracting when trying to sleep. Door locks are finicky and work inconsistently. Bar/lounge area and lobby areas are nice. Facility is clean, though. Staff members are 'up-scale' and classy - very hospitable and professional which makes up for the in-transistion status of this property.

Does the Job

by TripAdvisor Member SportsTravelAgent

The Blake is a reasonably priced alternative to the high priced mid-town hotels. Renovations are ongoing, but if you don't require all the frills, this does the job just fine. Rooms are clean and functional, but clearly some of the furnishings and fixtures need to be replaced. Large flat-screen TV was a nice touch. Free hotel shuttle will take you into town, although it is only a 4-block very walkable distance to Tryon. Not the glitziest hotel at the moment, will be nicer when it's finished, but an outstanding value for the rates they charge.

don't spend the money!

by TripAdvisor Member E5

My five nights at the Blake were among the worst I have spent in the last 7 years, and that's a lot of hotel nights! The lobby is the best
part about the whole hotel, and I'm afraid that even the lobby didn't
match my tastes (it was full of modern art and edgy music... trying to attract a young crowd, perhaps?). It took three trips to the lobby
to get into my room, as the keycard reader had to be treated "just so", the cards get zapped if they are put near cell phones, and so on. It ended up with me and two engineering guys finally managing to open the room door.

The rooms: furnishings were relatively OK. Bed was nice, but the sheets had that old, worn-out feel that they get after being washed a few hundred times. Nowhere near enough lights, only two lamps in the bedroom area, each fitted with about a 60-W light bulb. The
"closet" area had another, overhead light that was fine.

The main clothes rail was only supported, as far as I could tell, by 4 screws into a plasterboard wall. How do I know? It fell off early in the morning, after I hung my clothes on it the night before.

Although the bathroom was, for the most part, clean, there were deficiencies. The first day I was there, I had no bath mat and no amenity shampoo or soap. The second day, I had no towels of any kind, housekeeping had forgotten to leave me any. The water in the shower was consistently rusty when I first turned it on, every single morning.

Halfway through my stay, a coffeemaker suddenly appeared in the room.
I was the only one in my group (6 of us stayed there) to even get a coffeemaker. The room doors had to be slammed to close them. On my last night there, there were only two working ice machines in the whole hotel.

Away from the lobby, the hotel is decorated in 1970s brown and green tones, retro designs, etc. At least, I think it was retro... maybe it was original to the 1970s?

For all of this, I paid 199 USD per night plus tax. Far less quality,
for far more money, than I have gotten at many other hotels. I don't plan on staying there again.

Comments