601 S College St, Charlotte, North Carolina, 28202, United States

Westin.com amextravel.com Expedia.com

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Business Trip

I recently stayed at the Westin Charlotte for 3 nights on a business trip. The room was nice, if not typical. However, the bed, which appeared plush, was quite firm and hurt my back. The room was also very warm, even though I had the temperature set at 65 one of the nights to try to sleep better. I was on the 20th floor, yet could hear the street traffic like I was on street level. There was also a lot of noise in the hallways, doors to the rooms slammed very loudly and the room service pick-up was a bit noisy as well. And as for the room service, while the food was good, it was way more than expensive. I paid $42 for a sandwich and side salad with water, really ridiculous.

Enough issues that I wouldn't stay there again.

Directions: Next door to the Convention Center. Not many restaurants in the 2-3 block radious.

• WillNathan's Profile Photo

Stay in Style

The rooms, service and amenities are amazing at the Westin. A sweeping view of Charlotte's downtown doesn't hurt either.

Unique Quality: Architecture, great views, host to Charlotte's most famous guests (Lebron James was staying there last time I stayed)

Directions: Uptown

• twentysix.two's Profile Photo

Westin Charlotte

This is my favorite hotel in Charlotte. The only one that comes close is the Charlotte Marriott City Center. The Westin Charlotte is not centrally located, the Charlotte Marriott City Center is, but the accomodations are much nicer and the lobby bar, Bar 10, is awesome. Everything in downtown Charlotte is within walking distance that is, if you don't mind walking, so not being centrally located was not a problem for me.

Unique Quality: So far I have found no equal to the Heavenly Bed® or the Heavenly Shower/Bath. Enjoy a workout in the WestinWORKOUT® Room (free for Platinum Preferred Guests) or go for a jog in nearby Latta Park.

Directions: Within easy walking distance to the Bank of America Stadium; across the street from the Charlotte Convention Center.

• acemj's Profile Photo

700 rooms!

Many of my colleagues at work stay here when they come to Charlotte for training or meetings or other company affairs. The place was well received by the city when it opened in 2003 since its 700 rooms and great location in Uptown right across the street from the Convention Center will make Charlotte a more attractive location for conventions and major sporting events (which means money for the local economy). Since I live here, I've never stayed here, but my coworkers tell me the beds extremely comfortable and the rooms are spotless. I have been to the bar here called Bar 10 in the lobby, which is usually a lively spot on the weekends. There is also a good restaurant here called the Ember Grille.

Unique Quality: The location is awesome within walking distance of all the major Uptown attractions. Another great thing about it is that the Charlotte Trolley runs right by the hotel and can take you down to the Southend where you'll find some more great restaurants and nightlife. There is also a gift shop just off the lobby that has a good selection of Charlotte and North Carolina themed items.

You might be able to find a better deal at times, but most of the rooms run about $180-200/night.

Directions: Uptown, by the Convention Center

More about Westin Charlotte

Great stay @ Westin

by TripAdvisor Member cstarnes82

All around great one night stay at the Westin Charlotte. Very good value for a Saturday night at such a great hotel. I would recommend this one to anyone. Great view of the City from the 14th floor, as well!

Beautiful Hotel, Questionable Service

by TripAdvisor Member SCTraveler864

The rooms are spectacular and the public spaces are grand. The typical comforts of a Westin apply to this one in Charlotte.

Now, here's the problem... I think I left an $80 computer charger in my room. I called housekeeping FOUR times to check lost and found and NEVER got a call back. I finally gave up. Shame on Westin Charlotte's management for allowing that to happen.

Couldn't wait to get out of there

by TripAdvisor Member nointerstatesplease

It took the Westin to confirm that I prefer a down-to-earth, not quite so luxurious (and self-impressed) hotel...and one which actually cares about its customers. When my husband and I recently stayed there, I had called days earlier to request an in-room refrigerator. Upon arriving, it wasn't there, and it took two more calls to the front desk to get it. The maid left hand towels and washcloths, but no bath towels....again, had to call more than once to get them. The parking attendant lost the valet key to our car, then tried to deny he ever HAD it. My husband spent part of our first evening trying to help them find it, which they finally did. The in-room coffee machine comes supplied with enough coffee to squeak out two half-full cups; if you want more, you have to pay for it. I felt like I was being gouged every time I turned around, and that the front desk people were just a tad too impressed with themselves to really give a rip about customer service. I wish I could recommend the Westin Charlotte....but I can't.

westin lived up to expectations -- mostly

by TripAdvisor Member ajva

I've thought this hotel looked cool and wanted to stay here since its construction. This past weekend i treated myself to a stay here. It is a BIG convention size hotel and that means that you have to deal with things like lines at check in and full elevators when the hotel is running near full as it was last Saturday night. Once I got to my corner room with a great view of the buildings in downtown charlotte, I was a world away from the chaos of downstairs and the room was very luxurious and had all the amenities i would expect including their Heavenly Bed and Bath set up. The air conditioning was awesome and it's probably needed in the summertime since the corner room has a large window on EACH exterior wall. The only issues i had with the room was that the toilet is place VERY close to the wall making it uncomfortable for a large man. I hope this was a problem in my particular room only and not in all 700 of them. The granite topped desk is very nice, however with the a/c kicking on full, the real stone is very cold to the touch and i had to put a handtowel on the desk to use it. The bar staff was very nice and accomodating and were willing to run all the way back to the kitchen to bring appetizers and sandwiches to the bar area for guests. The food i had there was excellent. I ate in the restaurant only once and the service was great and the food awesome, but the restaurant was booked for private functions. If you want to plan on eating there I would call in advance to make sure one of the groups at the hotel is not using the space. The food and beverage outlets are not for the budget minded but not out of line for an upper end downtown hotel. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again if in the charlotte area.

A total crapshoot

by TripAdvisor Member joepinstripe

This was the most schizophrenic hotel in which I have stayed in many a moon. One experience is good, the very next is sub-par -- wash, rinse, repeat. This hotel is like a rousing game of pinball. Let's begin...

Entry to the hotel is slightly difficult -- there are four doormen on duty when I alight my taxi and none of them approach my car. I have to enter the hotel and intuitively figure out where check-in is, as neither the signage nor the staff are in the picture.

Finding the Starwood Preferred Guest desk not staffed, I approached the agent at the general check-in desk. She was very cordial and, while she did say something about "my nerves are worked tonight" that I did not understand, her attitude was quite sweet and welcoming. High marks. She told me I had an upgrade to a "Grand Deluxe" room, #2321. Bring it on!

Except...Grand Deluxe room #2321 was like Russian royalty: all title, and no substance. Save for the fact it was on the 23rd of the hotel's 25 floors, it was EXACTLY the same as every other RitzWestinPanpacificNikkoSwissotel average room that I have ever stayed in, and you don't want to know how many rooms that represents. It's too depressing. You'd worry for me.

But I digress....

I arrived in my room to find it was also devoid of any information on where to locate the health club, or a room service menu -- indeed, there was no information about accessing the hotel's services anywhere. I dialled the front desk and found out which floor the health club was on and asked them to leave a room service menu in my room while I was working out. The lady on the phone was pleasant.

The health club attendant took my room info and informed me there was a $5 daily usage fee. I got a towel and marveled at the best hotel gym in Charlotte. Great equipment, great view, very clean, and each of the numerous ellipticals, treadmills, stairmasters and bikes had its own video monitor and multi-channel selection for use with headphones.

Upon returning to the room, I found the menu on the floor by the door and despaired at the lack of low fat choices. I finally settled on the Caesar Salad with chicken breast (without cheese, and with the dressing on the side), and a half bottle of Frog's Leap sauvignon blanc.

Ordering was relatively easy, once I figured out what the phone number was (again, there was no folio of hotel info, just a menu shoved under the door). I had to laugh out loud, though, when upon ordering the Caesar Salad the guy on the phone asked me what kind of dressing I wanted. Gosh -- how's about we really shoot the moon and try the Caesar dressing? :-)

The food arrives and I look at the check: $81!!! What??? So I realize that the waitress has brought me a full bottle of Frog's Leap, instead of the half. I stop her from opening the bottle just in time and explain the error to her. She seems very put out by the whole thing and tells me she'll have to go "allllllll the way back to get a new check and come alllllllll the way back" to my room. I just stared at her. Cue violins.

So I eat my salad and it's fresh and good. The woman comes back with a coorect bill and a chip on her shoulder. I chip back when I fill out the tip.

The Heavenly Bed (TM) is above average in the high-end hotel market, as is the Heavenly Shower (TM) with its two shower heads, convex shower curtain and aromatherapeutic rosemary scrubbing lotion. The Heavenly Bathrobe (TM), however, is just some harsh old burned-smelling white cotton afterthought hanging on the back of the bathroom door. If that robe is heaven, then give me hell.

In the morning, my wake-up call was on time, but it was a recorded message that I intercepted mid-sentence when the receiver reached my ear. Impersonal.

I then went to the gym again, but this time there was no attendant to take my $5, so I got a free visit. Throughout my entire time in the gym that morning, there were numerous patrons but never an attendant at the desk.

After the workout I went up to my room and showered, dressed and headed off to work. The hotel has a free (but I tip $5) black car service to the banks and other office buildings in the uptown corridor. My driver was a very kind man. I thought he was very funny and friendly.

When I returned to the hotel that evening after a business dinner, there was a big crowd in the lobby and the place was hopping. Good for them.

When I returned to my room, however, craving a nightcapping mini-bar vodka because I do not typically like to drink at work events, they had not replaced the two I'd imbibed the night before. Nor had they, I discovered, replaced the aromatherapy body scrub in the shower. And still no hotel information folio.

Additionally, when I signed up for the hotel TV internet service that night, I found it to be cumbersome and disappointingly slow to load.

At checkout, I mentioned the lack of replenished vodka and the soap and the lady at the desk just kind of looked at me and said, "OK." No comps, no "I'm sorries."

Lame.

Good. Bad. Good. Bad. And all too far away from the businesses I need to attend to -- too far to walk in that heat and humidity with a laptop, that's for sure. I'd rather have the predictably sweet but clumsy service at the Omni than deal with this again.

It's an interesting building and a new look for John Portman's architecture. Too bad it houses such an uneven hotel.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Fontaine

Stayed in this hotel for one night. Booked the Bridal Package - came with free breakfast and champagne - the best package on the Westin internet site. The hotel is modern and interesting looking - and on one of the hotest days of the summer, a cool relief. Check in was quick and efficient - although the "we charge for all calls" lecture seemed harsh - maybe some would fine the admonition helpful. The room was nice - in a modern style, clean, bed was as you would expect in a Westin. Bathroom was small and not particularly luxurious. Ordered a snack at midnight - burger, fries and chicken tenders were barely edible, although delivered within a half hour. Delivered one glass of water for two people. Breakfast in the restaurant - included in the package - was good.

Comments