10175 Weddington Road, Concord, North Carolina, 28027, United States
Orbitz.com Expedia.com amextravel.com

More about Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge-Not That Great

by TripAdvisor Member SwoopieSc

We traveled with a 16 and 14 year old. We all felt that the activites here are best for children 10 maybe 12 and younger. Families with young children seemed to be having a blast! Not that it was terrible for us, it's just suited to that age group. The rooms were very clean and the Family Suite was spacious and perfect for us. Having said that though, the beds are so uncomfortable and the sheets were like sleeping on fine-grit sandpaper. Bring ear plugs! Doors in the hallway slammed until 11:55p.m. and started again at 7:35a.m. And to 'add salt to the wound' everytime it happened it was so hard it shook the iron work hanging on our room wall (and it was mounted so as not to be removed). Young families have fun, teenagers look for something else!

Great Wolf - work in progress

by TripAdvisor Member Summer37

My husband and I took our 4 godchildren for an overnight stay. Our experience started with pulling into the parking lot at 3:45pm and being flagged down by a Great Wolf staff member only to tell us that none of the rooms are ready but we could park and enjoy their waterpark until the rooms become available. If check out is at 11am and strictly enforced (they will charge you extra if you stay past 12pm), why are there NO rooms ready by 4pm???? We proceeded inside and I had to wait in line 45min to get to the front desk. Once I got to the front desk, the clerk told me that my room was not ready (surprise, surprise) and that I could check back in a couple of hours, was given temporary armbands to use at the waterpark. She offered no other options other than coming back in 2 hours and standing in line again. There were numerous frustrated customers standing in line with me. Needless to say, we got our room keys around 6:20pm, our room was nice and spacious, nothing fancy but comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed the waterpark, the wait time to get on any slide was less than 15min. They have a very nice arcade, various eateries and shops but be prepared to spend some $$$. When checking out, we got another pleasant surprise....there was a $5 resort fee on my bill....called the front desk and was told that this charge was for the COMPLIMENTARY newspaper, internet service, coffee maker and fax services that they provide. Since I did not use any of these services during my stay, I asked that the charge be removed. It would seem logical that the coffee maker in your room be included in the room rate???? The other "complimentary items" should be charged as used the guests. Overall, we had a great time.......just be prepared for a long wait during check-in and take a close look at your bill when checking out. Would I return.....probably but will give them time to improve on a few important things.........like CHECKING IN!!!

Worth going to at least once.

by TripAdvisor Member scaim

We are a family of 5 (2, 10, 13) that recently spent a weekend at GWL. It is definitely a family friendly resort so don't go there if you want quiet and relaxation. Depending on the location of your room, you can have a long walk to the water park and main lodge. If you are too close to the main lodge, you will have more noise as the Magi Quest attractions are located there and on each floor. My 10 year old boy loved Magi Quest and was one of those children roaming with other children in the halls. The Arcade is an attractive nuisance but we used it anyway and my 13 year old daughter enjoyed this and the teen lounge the most. Her preference was to shop at Concord Mills which was very close by and worth the trip. The two year old just enjoyed getting wet and there was plenty of that. I prefered the outdoor pool which is definitely less crowded than the indoor attractions. We stayed in one of the Specialty Suites for the fun of it but after the first 10 minutes the excitement wore off and the kids were asking to sleep on the pull out sofa.
Tips:
Get on their email list and watch the rates. Ours went down prior to our arrival and they credited us the difference.
Bring food and drinks, especially breakfast stuff, sodas, juices, etc.. Food is a bit pricey. The buffet is not horrible but is expensive. Ask if there is a meal plan promotion before you go if you want to eat at the hotel. There are plenty of chain and fast food restaurants around the hotel.
Get there before 1:00 on a Friday and check in is not bad. It is a lengthy process. They tell you everything about the place and try to sell you upgrades and paw passes.
Dunkin Donuts gets packed on weekends. Get there by 8:00am or be prepared to wait.

Very awesome!

by TripAdvisor Member chantie19

I booked our trip for a one night stay which included myself (6months pregnant), 6yo son, 18 month old daughter, a friend with a 4yo son and 11 month old son and my mother who is almost 60.

Reading other reviews I worried about checking in, but there were no lines and we arrived around 1pm. We were given our wristbands and map of the resort right then and were allowed to go to our room. We got a great rate as we are a military family and checked into the room (forget the name) with 2 queen beds and a full sized pull out on the 1st floor which is on the same level as the waterpark.

Upon getting into the room we did notice a pesky critter which we squished! We called just to tell the front desk and they immediately (with no questions) upgraded us to the Kid Kabin. It was awesome! The kids had their own room with a flat screen tv and forest critters painted on the walls. Very nice!

We were there mainly for the waterpark. For a one night stay I think that's all we could have really enjoyed together without running off to do the other games and cub club, etc. It was great though since the babies could stay in the baby area and the bigger boys could run off and play on the slides or in the wave pool or on the tree house looking thing. For me though it was a bit chilly which I thought odd since most pregnant women are always hot! For our group it was perfect though. We just left our pool bags on the chairs and explored from the time we got there until the pool closed on both days. I also think it's great that it's not just pools, but they have the lily pad jump and basketball in the pool. The wave pool is relaxing and the tree house looked fun!

We only tried the sweet shop downstairs by the pool area because everything smelled delicious! And it definitely didn't disappoint! We didn't want to spend a ton of money eating, which we love to do, so we brought our own water jugs, and snacks. We ate for breakfast lunch and dinner at the local restaurants. I really think that was the best way if you are trying to have fun but are still on a budget. And with 7 people it worked for us! There is a Cracker Barrel, Applebee's, chik fil a, mcdonalds, kfc, taco bell, just a ton of restaurants for every food you can think of. Plus there's a Mills mall and all the food places within a half a mile. I think for the two days we spent about $80.00 for all of us. This included eating at Cracker Barrel both days. Gotta love that place! We also brought in food to the water park once from taco bell and ate at one of the tables. Nobody said anything to us and we made sure to clean up very well after our lunch.

Check out was a bit rough. There were 5 staff members and I did go right at 11am, so maybe that was why there was a bit of a back up. But all I had to do was tell her my room number, she printed out my bill, signed it and handed it back. Short and sweet once at the counter.

Storytime was nice for the kids, and it was very cozy with some of the kids in their pajamas.

We went during the week (staying on a Tuesday night) and thought it was the perfect day because nothing was crowded. Nobody was piled on top of one another, even in the outside pool.

One other thing I thought was really interesting was how attentive the lifeguards were. They seemed to swap stations every 20-30 minutes. And they were so active and attentive to their job! They paced the entire time with their eyes on the water as if someone was under the pool and they literally looked around all the different areas and by the stairs and corners. In the baby area the lifeguad walked through the middle of the pool looking under the seesaw and really twisting and turning to look at every piece of equipment. I thought that part was perfect!

The trip was great overall!

Perfect for a short family vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Nickie729

The hotel was very clean and nice. Check in for me at 1:00 was very easy. The family that went with us got there about 2:30 and had to stand in line. The rooms were already ready. The water park was great for my 5, 9 and 10 year olds. I am not sure if older teens (14 and over) would like it for more then one day. My children after the second day were not as into it, but still enjoyed it. You can use the water park from the time you arrive to 9 p.m. the day you leave. My son loved Magiquest, but the son of my friend could not figure out what he needed to do and got frustrated with it. The price of the wand was 14.99 and then 9.99 to play the game. You have 4 days to complete the quest, even if you are only staying one night. I thought it was a great thing for kids to do and many were really into it. Many families were playing it together. You can play till 11:00 at night. Which is probably a bad thing for people wanting to go to their rooms early, especially ones close to the quest. Kids are running everywhere looking for the items they need for their quest. It also starts back up at 8 a.m. The water park is 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
This resort is a family resort. I would not recommend this for a couple looking for a get away. Children are everywhere. I recommend getting rooms away from the water park and the quest, because children are running around on their quest or to get to other activities.
Food is a bit pricey at the resort, but you name the eating establishment and its probably within a mile of the resort. A pizza hut, dunkin donuts and the resorts resturants are on site. A mini putt putt golf type course on site, but it is not included in the price.
There are a few other activities on site, but they are extra.
Overall, a great resort. I think it would be great for one, two or maybe even three nights, but after that you better have something extra planned to do in the area (which there is to do). I dont think this would keep older teens amused for long. Under 13 to small children would love it. Lots of stair climbing for the water slide rides, but that should be expected. Great area for small children and everyone seem to love the bucket drop. Everyone races toward it. Good for a weekend vacation or a mini week vacation. If you love to shop, Concord Mills is only a few blocks away.

Great time!

by TripAdvisor Member DQ_of_NC

We stayed one night with 12 and 15 year old. There are 4 water rides geared toward teens and older, but plenty of other water activities including the Wave area and a place to shoot basketballs from the pool. It was nice to not have to worry about sunburn!

My kids had already played MagiQuest so they enjoyed being able to continue here. It was a one-time price for up to 4 day stay, so much cheaper than paying an hourly rate. We didn't use the arcade or Gr8 Space Tech center. If we had stayed longer, we probably would've had time for that too.

Our room was the cheapest one and yet seemed huge because it had a high ceiling. The lifeguards were very attentive and safety conscious and were always asking us if we were having a good time and would have friendly chats with us. They seemed to really enjoy their jobs. All the staff was great!

In the evenings, they had a story time in the lobby which was great to see. Children of all ages will enjoy this place.

We used a coupon passcode to get a 20% discount too. Search the internet for 'Great Wolf Lodge coupon' to find the most current one. We thought it was a good value when you consider that water parks are $25-35/person/per day and we got almost 2 days and a hotel room here!

Restaurants there are good. We went to the dinner buffet. It was all inclusive (drinks, buffet, and dessert) for around $20-22. If you don't want to eat on-site, there are plenty of restaurants within a short drive too. Dunkin Donuts was busy in the morning.

We are looking forward to going back in the Fall.

Comparable to a Deluxe Disney Resort, loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member SusanHammett

Just stayed one night with my husband and 5 children, from 2 yrs- 17 yrs old. We all loved the lodge. We could have spent 3 nights there and not run out of things to do. The waterpark is fabulous for all ages, with very little waits for the bigger slides (10 minutes tops). Magic Quest was a lot of fun for all of the kids, but a little tiring for me. It wouldn't have been so bad had we stayed longer and split it up instead of trying to complete it all in 4 hours. They have a great club for children with all sorts of crafts available and a play area. We played mini golf and ate in the restaraunt twice, once for breakfast and once for dinner. I think the prices were around $19.99 for adults and 5.99 for kids for dinner. The breakfast was $12.99/4.99. The dinner was fair, the breakfast was good. There is also a pizza hut express, dunkin donuts and awesome sweet shop for ice cream, cupcakes, cookies and fudge. I had an awesome massage by Bruce in the spa. The room was cute, the kids loved the in room cabin. We travel to Disney World at least once per year because we love the resorts there, with their tons of activities. Great Wolfe Lodge will be our new alternate vacation spot. Can't wait to go back!

Can't wait to go back!

by TripAdvisor Member Wilross3

Absolutely a great resort! Our kids (5 and 7) loved the entire place. We purchased a "Paw Pass" which included the MagiQuest game, tokens to the arcade, a putt-putt game, and several other perks. It was well worth the price.

The MagiQuest game is an interactive treasure hunt/adventure which took our son (7) about 8 hours over 3 days to complete. He had a great time.

Every night there was an animatronic show and a story-time for the younger kids, and in the morning was a "wolf walk" led by one of the kid's club staff and was a fun way for the kids to learn about some of the animals. They even learned how to make an oragami wolf!

The water parks were a lot of fun, and our kids were tall enough to ride everything. They spent hours and hours in the waterpark, and even the adults had a great time. Plenty of safety conscious lifeguards kept a close eye on everyone.

The rooms were comfortable and quiet, though if I had to find one knock it would be the loudness of the a/c unit.

Restaurants were good, but we drove across the street to one of the many great restaurants at Concord Mills for dinner each night.

Everywhere we went, the staff always made eye contact and greeted us. This was unusual to me, and I made the comment to the manager that this must be what Disney was like before they got too big. Wonderful service.

The kids want to go back, and so do we. I would highly recommend the Great Wolf Lodge in Concord.

Great place for fun with family & friends but horrible beds

by TripAdvisor Member koolkerry

My husband and I were traveling with my 14 year old sister and her friend and met two other families with children ranging in age from 2- 8 years old at the Great Wolf Lodge in Concord, NC.

The hotel is an amazing place- you literally can park your car and never leave. All of us enjoyed the water slides, the wave pool was a blast and the kids loved the "tree house" water center.

The rooms are large- perfect for a family with 2 queens and a pull out coach with a balcony. However, all of us complained about the beds. They are the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept (or tried to sleep on) HORRIBLE nights sleep- all 6 adults agreed.

We had dinner at the buffet and thought the food was great and a good deal. We also visited Dunkin Donuts, The Pizza Hut Express and the sweet shop. We truly parked the car and didn't leave.

Check in was smooth- got there at 3 ish and had a min. wait. All of our rooms were in the same area which we had requested. Clean and great staff. As mentioned by others- the lifeguards were so attentive. Even cleaned out "floaters" quickly from the wave pool and we all were impressed at how clean they make sure it was after that incident.

The slides are a great time! The younger children all enjoyed the Magic Quest too.

All guests are given a wristband when they check in. This acts as your hotel room key which we thought was very cool. You can also put charging privilidges on your wristand and limit the children's to a certain amount- so easy! My only issue was computers were down and I learned after I ordered Pizza Hut for all of us and had no cash or a credit card on me. ANNOYING!

The only complaint is the beds!

Comments