Duke Tower Residential Suites

See Amenities

Durham's Secret Gem

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 14, 2008

I travel on business (I'm in medical technology sales) and I always try to find a place like this--the independent hotel that quirky, unique and cool. This place fits the bill. I was going to Duke and Durham Regional Hospital and found this on Google Maps. It seemed to be the closest. I'm not sure about that but it is definitely the coolest. It's a condo, really, not a hotel, but they rent them by the night. I got an upgraded suite so I can't speak for the other type but this suite was sweet! Wide-screen TVs, Tempurpedic mattress on a king bed, nice flooring, walk-in shower. And it looked out onto the pool and the gardens--beautiful. I couldn't believe this place. The price was reasonable, about $100. I wish they had breakfast but they said they would soon. I talked to a few people by the pool and everyone was saying how much they enjoyed staying there. Most people seem to be with Duke.

Unique Quality: The rooms are not really rooms but complete condos. The pool and gardens are beautiful. I walked around the neighborhood and it was quite beautiful and sage. Great location for going to the hospitals. They had a shuttle bus but I never used it. The booklet said bicycle rentals but I couldn't do that either although I saw a lot of bicyclists around. I smoked a cigar by the pool and no one minded, so that was cool. They have an elevator but I was on the first floor so I didn't use it. I saw people with pets staying there so I assume they allow pets. The staff were really helpful in finding a nearby restaurant. (I walked up to Brightleaf Square one night and ate at the Italian restaurant there--nice.) This place is just totally unique--there's nothing like it. I will always stay when I come back.

Directions: Near Duke's East Campus at the corner of Duke St and Trinity Ave. Near Brightleaf Square.

Nearby Duke Tower Residential Suites

• Free Parking
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

Durham Travel Forum

Need advice about Durham, North Carolina? Visit the Travel Forum for Durham and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Durham hotel reviews