Innkeeper Durham West

Travel Tips for Durham

BAREFOOT IN THE PARK

by was_the_beav

"Spring at Duke Gardens"

I love North Carolina in the spring. I think there is nowhere quite as beautiful when the trees blossom and that new light green foliage bursts free from its winter hermitage. It's like the colors are all new, and they are everywhere. Sometimes you get to see an unexpected spray of fuschia in the woods...that would be the redbud tree. It's my favorite, though I love many of the blossoming trees; I suppose it has to do with the unassumed and sort of unexpected way it just shows up, no place in particular, with its wispy and most glorious colors flying. When you see them, be sure, it is spring.

"The Bridge in the Oriental Garden"

I usually go to the gardens with my dog, Prince, who greatly enjoys the excursion. There's a swan that swims in the this little body of water--he is really fond of that bird. :-)

"Prince likes Purple Rain"

Walking through Duke Gardens, we see all kinds of foliage and flowers that we don't see anywhere else around here. Many are gifts from benefactors, and some are gifts from overseas. I have forgotten what the real name of this beaty is, but I just discovered it, showering upon me, after I bent down to tie my shoe. I got up, and this was staring me in the face...gorgeous. But since it startled me, Prince made sure to let that plant know, in no uncertain terms, that it had better be more careful in the future!

"The State Tree: The Dogwood"

We keep walking, following a footpath, and we pass many of these, another favorite of mine: the palest pink dogwoods. Looking around the woods, the white and pink blossoms just barely dot the air, as if someone had taken a paintbrush and j_u_s_t touched it to the canvas of green. They are amazingly beautiful, those colors just hanging lightly in contrast to the forest. Alot of people plant these in the yards, to add a touch a grace to the homestead. And it works. :-)

"A lovely afternoon"

We sit and relax here...by a willow in the shade.

"The Terraced Garden"

The flower displays are rotated in the terraces, and the gazebo at the top is covered by wysteria in early summer...it's a lovely setting for weddings. But it's also very hot. :-)

"The Basin Lawn"

As the days begin to warm, you can find this lawn enjoyed by sun-worshipers pretending to study... sometimes, there are dogs playing frisbee or football with their people. This was a lovely, quiet spring day with few visitors...must've been spring break... :-)

Oh, by the way, that little pond is a great place to help your brother cool off when he's being a hot-head. hehehe

"The Tragic story of the Grand Old Magnolia"

~it's coming~

I just don't feel like tragic stories right now...

Comments