Days Inn Henderson

Travel Tips for Henderson

Gazing at Fall Foliage

by grandmaR

"November 3, 2008"

I'm sitting here in the Sleep Inn in Henderson NC trying to figure out why I can NOT get my pictures from today to download. Is it a problem with the camera? No I don't think so - I tried both cameras and neither one worked.

Is it a problem with the software? Maybe. It was really slow to come up.

Is it a problem with the computer? Maybe. Sometimes the USB ports don't work right, but I rebooted the computer and it didn't help and the trackball still works.

Is it a problem with the attachment cord? Maybe. I did get one message that there was an unrecognized USB device. So I've ordered another cord to be sent to my son's ASAP, and sometime during the time when we are in Charleston I will have to get this fixed.

----------------

When I finished writing that, I asked around and someone suggested that I order a card reader from Amazon just in case the cord wasn't the problem. So I did. Then, after poking around the Kodak site, I decided to download the new Kodak Easyshare software (which I hate, but I can't seem to use anything else with the Kodak cameras, and it is free). So I did that and Yeah Voila - now the pictures download.

When I looked at them, I saw two items that I'd forgotten and one where I didn't get a picture - Charles County is having their 350th birthday, and they had big birthday cakes at the county entrances - I didn't get a photo of either one.

I did get a picture of a tractor built out of hay bales painted green with a yellow stripe. And I took a picture of a license plate that I'm surprised that they allowed - It said "BUGRBUT" I think it was a Virginia plate.

"Yesterday (November 2 - Sunday)"

Meantime:

We picked up the car from Hertz yesterday - they gave us a red Mazda Sport S which Bob said was a small SUV. We paid $42.00 - last year we only paid $20 for the same kind of rental. After I dropped Bob off, he went home and figured out how to set the trip odometer. There was an extra door opening device in the glove compartment- I guess for the pax to use so they could get back in if the driver wasn't there There was a full set of manuals too.

I went and filled up my car at Ridgells - diesel was down to $3.35/gal. Since I was last outside, all the trees have turned color. I wanted the paper stopped tomorrow (Monday), but they stopped it today (Sunday) instead. Oh well. We get the Sunday comics with the Saturday paper, which is all I really care about.

"Monday: November 3, 2008"

Today we turned off the water, water heater, TVs, satellite receivers, and the wi-fi I set the phone to answer on two rings. We are expecting the shingles vaccine to come in and them to leave us a phone message, or I'd turn the answering machine off altogether and let it go to the fax.

Bob put a check out for the mailman to pick up and I'm afraid it will confuse the mail lady - I wanted the mail stopped today and they held it from last Friday. I called and the lady came by with it on Saturday, but I really wish that Bob would just mail the stupid check at the PO or take it to the bank instead of thinking that the post lady will pick it up and will still hold the mail.

We left home about 9:20, and got to BWI to the Royal gas station at 10:55.

I wanted the little pocketbook with the maps which also had the rental information on it. But I couldn't reach it and I couldn't open the sliding side door while Bob was getting gas. So he left the nozzle and went around to the back to get it and the gas filled up and gushed out all over the ground before the nozzle shut off. Bob was annoyed. It got 25 mpg (took 3 gal @ $2.299/gal).

When we turned it in we had gone 89 miles total, of which about 5 was from the rental place to our house.

Bob insisted on turning in the car (11:07), unloading our stuff and walking over to Budget. He had three small carryon sized bags and a big garment bag on a luggage carrier and I had my big black suitcase, my computer bag, a very small black bag and a purse with maps. We got to the Budget place OK and they have given us a white KIA with NY plates. A no frills car for sure - no electronic door locks, no manuals, and no cruise control which Bob really misses.

Since we didn't look at the little map of the terminal, at first Bob tried to find our car (which was in space H8) in the Hertz section space 8, but that was a Lincoln (although it was white). The Budget H8 turned out to be at the other end of the garage.

Even though he was carrying my computer bag, and my big black bag had wheels, I just couldn't drag it that far and I could see from the map that he would have to come by me on the way out, so I just waited there. At least 5 people stopped to ask if I was OK. Then Bob couldn't figure out how to set the trip odometer (he did set the clock) and we were sitting there blocking traffic until one of the Budget employees came by and showed him how to do it.

By the time we left the garage (which had a nasty metal barrier that had to go down into the floor, and which the signal that we could go was a yellow light and not a green light), it was 11:45 and getting close to lunch. It was overcast and Bob was disoriented and thought he ought to be driving the other way, but eventually we found our way to I-97 and were on our way south.

We stopped at 12:05 at Wendy's for lunch ($9.50 because I had the new BBQ chicken sandwich).

By 13:41 we were at the Governor Nice bridge ($3.00 toll). I thought I saw my hissing barge down by Swan's Point.

It was a nice drive, and I occupied myself with trying to figure out which trees had turned which colors as we sped past. Red for dogwood, crepe myrtle and some maples and a shrub along the highway which I've forgotten the name of. Russet or reddish brown for the oaks. In Colorado the yellow would be aspen, but here it is beech, poplar, sweet gum, sassafras, walnut and locust. I like the contrast between the bright colors and the dark green of the pines, and I really prefer to have the tree not completely turned in color - I like the interior of the tree to still have some green. It gives greater depth to the colors, and most of the leaves are still on the trees.

We got to I-95 at 14:46 (114 miles) and unlike last time, we went straight through Richmond with no problem. We did see a nasty accident on the other side of the road where someone had rolled a car and which tied up traffic on the other side of the road for some distance. We hit I-85 at 15:15 and were at the NC border at 16:15.

We stopped at the information station and I got maps of Vance and Granville Co. I really wanted to look for some of the tiny family cemeteries, but it is supposed to be an 80% chance of rain tomorrow.

We will see.

We got to the Sleep Inn at 16:46 after 260 miles. The Sleep Inn has a much easier wi-fi network to access than the Hampton Inn does. We asked the girl about a place to eat and she said the Mayflower restaurant, but we couldn't find it. We both thought she said to turn right at the light, but she later said it was straight at the light.

We did get gas - $18.27 for 7.6 gals ($2.389/gal) having gone 268 miles (although Bob said it wasn't quite full when we got it). At least that is 35 mpg.

We finally had dinner at the Western Sizzlin for $19.50. Bob left a $4.00 tip, which I thought was a bit much, although the girl did bring us extra lemonade.

He's asleep now, and I'm sort of watching the football game.

"Tuesday November 4 - Graving in the Rain"

This morning, we had a somewhat wimpy breakfast about 8. It was raining or drizzling and not conducive to poking around graveyards (I do photo documentation of graveyards for an on-line genealogy site), so I cut the list down. I decided not to visit Mother's grave, but instead to try again to find the cemetery with William and Abner Hicks in it. Someone had told me that it was opposite the Harris Meeting House historic marker, and I hadn't ever seen that marker. It turned out that we had not gone far enough.

When we got to the right place (and looked in the right direction), there it was. I got out and stomped around through the woods taking pictures (getting some sticktights or beggars ticks on my trousers in the process). We left there a little before nine and tried to find the cemetery on Ed Harris road - without any luck.

Then we went to Kittrell, and looked for Plank Chapel. Here again, we turned the wrong direction on Bobbitt Road, but this time I had an actual address to go by and we found it.

It was raining lightly off and on, so I took some pictures, and then about 9:40, we went back to US Route 1 and headed south - skipping the last cemetery on my list

Continued under Summerville SC