Comfort Suites Hickory

Satisfaction Average

More about Hickory

Welcome Catawba North CarolinaWelcome Catawba North Carolina

Kojay's Cafe' Main StreetKojay's Cafe' Main Street

The bridge crosses over Lyles Creek.The bridge crosses over Lyles Creek.

First view of BridgeFirst view of Bridge

Travel Tips for Hickory

SPRINGS ROAD FLEA MARKET & DRIVE-IN THEATRE

by LoriPori

As we were driving along Springs Road in Hickory, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was a flash from the past - a Drive-In Theatre. SPRINGS ROAD DRIVE-IN THEATRE is now a Flea Market venue, but the old movie screen is still there and the Old Snack Bar too. Even the posts to hold the sound speakers are still there - Cool or what!

Located at 3451 Springs Rd. NE Hickory

The Flea Market is open year round
Saturday and Sunday

Hickory - The Friendly City

by Fauxtaographer

"Hickory - The Friendly City"

Hickory is The Friendly City. You know you are welcome here just by walking around downtown. It’s a busy city too with a substantial art museum, a ‘hands-on” science museum and planetarium. It has a vibrant poets group and is a hotbed of community theatre with the Hickory Community Theatre, The Green Door, and others that are part of Lenoir-Rhyne University and the large Catawba Community College. There are also theatre groups for young children and senior citizens. The Oktoberfest in Hickory almost as good as going to Germany! (well, I said “almost”, and it IS a lot closer - and cheaper!) It’s roughly an hour away from Asheville to the west, and Charlotte to the east. Blowing Rock is perched on the Blue Ridge Parkway, about an hour to the north.

Summers are beautiful. Hot sometimes, mostly cool with reasonable humidity at 1200 foot elevation. Winters are mildly cool, sometimes cold. Spring is frantically gaudy, and autumn is . . . well, what can I say?

Hickory, Dickory, Dock

by merth2erth

Hickory is not listed as my hometown, but it really should be. I moved to Hickory in December 1991. I haven't lived there "full-time" since I graduated from high school in 1998, but have been back a lot as Mom and Dad still live there (at least for another month or so!).

Hickory is a fairly large and growing town. Built around the railroad and the Hickory Tavern, Hickory has been named an "All American City" several times. Primarily, Hickory is known for two things -- fiber optics and FURNITURE!

"The Quote of the Month..."

An old, deserted elementary school caught fire and burned to the ground. Intrigued by the sight, but unable to do anything, a crowd gathered with folding chairs to simply sit by and watch. The local newspaper produced this quote in the days that followed:

"Apparently there is nothing better to do in Hickory on a Friday night then sit around and watch a school burn down."

LORIPORI'S IMAGES OF HICKORY

by LoriPori

"SPRINGS ROAD FLEA MARKET & DRIVE-IN THEATRE"

Located at 3451 Springs Rd. NE Hickory

The Flea Market is open year round
Saturday and Sunday

Odds & Ends... Bits & Pieces... This & That...

by NC_Ziggy

"HOWWWWLLLLLL.... HOW HOW HOWLLLLL!"

Ok, I realize this picture is not so impressive, but I just wanted to see if I could take a picture of the moon... and I sort-of-could! My cameral has a 10X optical zoom and a 32X digital zoom so I had to try it! Would you prefer to see a picture of me as I hold the camera up to capture my distinguished image? I think not!

"The Mandatory Pet Pics!"

Please allow me to introduce Blackie to you! She's a good girl with golden eyes. Unfortunately, she's also a toelicker! Why are cat's tongues like sandpaper anyway? It's making me look forward to winter so I'll have to wear shoes...

"Photographically Challenged You Say?"

Never having been one who is on the "cutting edge" of technology, I recently purchased my first digital camera. After playing with it for days and becoming more than a bit confused trying to read the manual, I finally figured out that I was not the reason the flash did not work! So, I pack it up and send it off to be repaired... Now that I have it back, I'm using this spot as a place to torture you with my photographic prowess! HaHa... Joke on Me! And so, this place will be my experimental laboratory and yet another opportunity to post some musings and observations... Come Along on my Twisted Journey into the World of Photography!In response to the question above, the correct answer would be a resounding... YES! Did you get it right? This "building" if you can call it that serves as a storage place for junk now, but once performed a more respectable occupation as a storage place for grain... the bins are still inside.

I have no idea how old it is, but it's been here for as long as I can remember and that in itself is pretty darn old! It sits off of the ground about 18 inches and the foundation is supported by rocks! There is a long flat rock about 4 feet long and 1 foot wide that serves as the step at the entrance. Though some of the wood is gone now, my uncle cut circular holes in the left eve for pidgeons to come and go. It has been and still is home to many birds in its life. I use it as a place to store fencing supplies, posts, scrap wood and such used around the farm. One day a big storm or hurricane is likely to fell it unless I get the courage to do so myself as I must build a larger and more convenient storage facility for my tractor and other implements.

"Tommy is my Favorite!"

Well, I know we're not supposed to really have favorites but I can't help it... Tommy is the only boy and has always been the most friendly and lively Big Brother! I also happen to think that he's a handsome dude with great markings... just enough grey, black in strategic places, white feet and under his chin with just a little yellow for contrast. I think I may keep him!

"I'm Thinking About Joining a Garden Club"

Ok, call me a sucker for a pretty face, but these impatiens were just begging to have their picture made, and since I could only take photos in sufficient light, I was more than happy to oblige. There are many colors available in this species, but I'm partial to red which is why I made this text purple... See, I told you I'm not right in the head!

"Modern Conveniences Schmeniences!"

Until about 5 years ago, this view from my deck was one of nature only! Then, this cell tower was constructed with its flashing strobe light during the day and red lights at night... So this is the price we pay for progress, right? I'm not sure as I'm on my second cell phone provider and still do not get my signal from here!

"Ziggy Goes Digi! Good for Me... Bad for You! ;-)"

What Do You Think of My First Picture?

I found this interesting event occurring on the ceiling of my deck one evening... Though my flash was not working, I turned on the light which was close-by in order to illuminate these creatures in their moment of bliss... Well, I guess it was bliss. Who knows what goes through the mind of two weird looking moths as they uh, well... you know! Isn't Photography Great? :-)

"Nothing says "Good Taste" quite like plastic!"

I happen to drive by this residence nearly every day either on my way to lunch or on my way home. I couldn't help but notice the array of flowers and foliage here and it would be nice if only they were real! This person obviously likes plants and has worked hard to create this display, but plastic plants?

I'm sure they are very maintenence free but as the sun heats them eventually they begin to become something other than "green". Oh well... to each his or her own!

Comments