1946 13TH Ave Drive Se, Hickory, NC, 28602
Courtyard by Marriott Hickory
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Hickory

Mural on side of an old buildingMural on side of an old building

Rumple House Main StreetRumple House Main Street

Blowing Rock Visitor Center/Gift Shop/EntranceBlowing Rock Visitor Center/Gift Shop/Entrance

An early painting of Bunker HillAn early painting of Bunker Hill

Travel Tips for Hickory

A BIT ABOUT HICKORY

by LoriPori

The city of HICKORY is located in Catawba County North Carolina. In the 1850's Henry Robinson built t tavern of logs under a huge Hickory tree. "Hickory Tavern" was established in 1863. The name was changed to Hickory in 1873.
The first train operated in "Hickory Tavern" in 1859. Hickory is also home to one of the oldest furniture manufacturers (Hickory Manufacturing Company - built in 1902) in the the United States that is still located and operated on the original site,
Hans and I visited Hickory for three days, October 28, 29 & 30 and were in town to attend a very special VT Wedding,

HICKORY NORTH CAROLINA

October 28, 29& 30, 2010
The first train operated in "Hickory Tavern" in 1859. Hickory is also home to one of the oldest furniture manufacturers (Hickory Manufacturing Company - built in 1902) in the the United States that is still located and operated on the original site.

I spent a Year in 4 Days in Hickory

by amber1970

"Mayberry RFD Could have been shot here!"

I had to go to Hickory on business to witness the installation of an exhibit. I googled Hickory, came up with quite a few sites for such a small town, and ended up on VT and made a VT friend, nc_Ziggy. He gave me a few pointers and we had hoped to meet. Sadly, he was out of town the precise dates I was to visit. Timing was not our friend. But I still had a chance to visit the cutest town this side of the Mississippi.

The people were kind, the town was pretty and clean and the nights were quite. This city girl couldn't have asked for more. Well, maybe I could have asked for more: it would have been fun to meet my VT buddy. I hope to return one day.

Ziggy - here's to you! You come from good, hearty stock in a lovely pastoral setting.

I promise more pages and tips, but for now, my intro will have to suffice!

BUNKER HILL COVERED BRIDGE

by LoriPori

"BUNKER HILL COVERED BRIDGE c. 1894"

Heading west on the I-40, Hans and I thought we would get off and go on to Old US Highway 70 to check out the BUNKER HILL COVERED BRIDGE near Claremont.
At first we passed the sign, but turned around and then parked where the sign was.
We followed the arrows along the dirt path, which eventually led to the Bridge - this really is "Off the Beaten Path".
The Bridge was built in 1894 and is one of the last surviving covered bridges in North Carolina. It crosses over Lyles Creek.
A sign near the Bridge reads:
"The name Bunker Hill comes from the local Bunker Hill Farm operated by the descendents of the Shuford and Lowrance families, since the early 1800's. The Bridge is also near the site of an early Post Office of the same name."

Another sign reads"
The Bridge is made of oak with trunnels (wooden pins) instead of nails. The roof was originally covered with wooden shingles. It was replaced with tin in 1921. A major restoration in 1994 has stabilized the structure."

The Bridge is the only remaining example of a 19th century bridge utilizing the General Herman Haupt truss design.

More Beginning Photography 101

by NC_Ziggy

"The Third Member of the Terrible Trio!"

I've been amiss not to include the third member of these kitties, so... Here'sssssss Missy!

She is the most shy and timid of the three but in some ways also the most loving and needing. She looks a lot like Tommy except she has more white under her chin and more white on each of her feet. She's also the smallest of the three but gaining ground rapidly!

"Boys DO Like Their Airplanes!"

The Sabre Society is a group who obtains and refurbishes military planes. As I work near and drive by the airport each day, I decided to stop and take this picture on my lunch break. This is one of four planes and the most recently restored. I'm not sure of the model or type, but it would appear perhaps to be an older vintage jet possibly used during the Korean or Vietnam war era. If I find out more information, I will post it at a later time.

"An Onimous Sign!"

I drive by this place at least once a day, sometimes twice on my way to and from my job. One day, I happened to be waiting at a nearby stoplight and the cars in front of me brought me even with this sign so I could finally read it. This is a rented apartment in a mostly industrial part of town but evidently there is a lot going on at night as you will see below...

"A Man's Home is His Castle... Haywood's Castle!"

Haywood seems to have some problem with people wanting to crash his privacy and so he apparently decided to do something about it, or SAY something about it!

Only, I'm not sure that anyone could read this at night and moreso if they happened to be under the influence of some unknown substance! But not to worry as the "cops are watching"... I don't know Haywood and have never seen him here, but I hope that all goes well and he finds some peace and solitude. After all, a Man's Home IS His Castle, right?

"So Many Images to be seen... What do you see?"

Clouds Amaze Me! So unique... so interpretive! To the left, I see a distinct portrait... To the right, I see a growling, scary creature! What do you see? The very best thing about pictures is that they sometimes require no words! I like this photography thing! ;-)

"Who Doesn't Love a Good Rainbow?"

A rainbow is said to be a sign of hope & promise... It surely is something marvelous to see and behold. But beware! Just know that before you can view and enjoy the splendor of nature, a storm must come before it. And so it is in life... We all will experience storms and turbulence in our lives, and just as surely, the rainbow does not come after every storm. But, it does come! Weather your storms, keep your head down and do your best to keep your spirits up! Your rainbow is coming! :-)

"Nature's Canvas of Color"

Sunrise... Full of Color... Full of Promise & Hope! What will this day bring? With such a sight, it is surely off to a great beginning... I hope each of your days begin just this way! Even if the sky is grey, see the color.. see the possibilities... see and seize them!

"I Know! I Know! Send Away the Clouds!"

Ok, I'm slowly beginning to get it... Is it possible that you've seen enough clouds to last a lifetime? Could be... and, it could be that you may have to suffer a few more until more interesting subjects present themselves. So, consider yourself warned and your complaint is duly noted! :-)

Comments