North Carolina Hotels

Our Members Say

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport: A NICE QUIET PORCH BY THE AIRPORT

Before I tell you the merits of this hotel, and this is a positive review, I hated the fact that the swimming pool was not open. Yes, it was the fault of the City of Durham, but I booked this place because I wanted to have a swim in the pool. I grew up in North Carolina, and it gets very hot here in summer. When I booked this location I expected a quiet room, good beds, a well located hotel, nice facilities and a swimming pool. I got everything else! And the City of Durham who must ‘commission’ all swimming pools every year are stupid bastards. Not the hotel’s fault. In fact the staff of the hotel could not have done more to give me information and assistance. An excellent hotel.

The hotel is inside a business park full of offices. It’s quiet – especially at night. If you want a free ride to the airport, free ride to food & shopping, and just plain quiet – this is an outstanding choice!

My room was very narrow, but had a wonderful bed, a nice leather sofa, good mini-bar, excellent bathroom and it was quiet. The hotel had a lovely lobby, outdoor areas, a fantastic front porch (with rocking chairs), ice machines and a lovely looking restaurant.

The hotel has a free shuttle that not only takes you to RDU Airport – they will even take you to diner or a movie. The shuttle runs to the Streets at Southpoint (shops, restaurants, movies).

I had a great meal, a great sleep and – almost – a good swim. And inspired choice for RDU Airport

OVERVIEW:
• Quiet, Southern mansion-style feel with a veranda and porch swings
• Swimming pool (sometimes)
• Free Shuttle to RDU Airport, shopping, dining, cinema
• 100% no-smoking and air-conditioned
• Free car parking
• Gym, bar, restaurant, business facilities

• Air Conditioning, great beds, quiet, modern
• Clock Radio w/ MP3 Connection, big TV (37 inch) , Ergonomic Desk Chair, desk
• Sofa Sleeper, Coffee Maker, Hairdryer, Iron/Ironing Board, Mini Refrigerator
• Newspaper (M-F)
• WI-FI
• Modern bathroom with good toiletries
• Room types: King Balcony, King Deluxe, 2 double beds

FOOD & DRINK:
• Vintage Carolina restaurant and bar (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
• Lobby bar

LEISURE:
• 24-hour fitness center and seasonal outdoor pool

BUSINESS:
• 10,921 sq.ft. of indoor/outdoor meeting and event space, 13 meeting rooms
• 24-hour business center, Express Mail, Notary Public, Photo Copying, Printer

SERVICES:
• ATM (charges), Baggage Storage, laundry/Valet Service
• Free shuttle to restaurants, shops, bars, cinema
• Safety Deposit Box, gift shop, snack Shop

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Business Travel
  • Written August 22, 2015

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport

DAYS INN (GLENWOOD/CRABTREE): DOES THE JOB

I chose this hotel based upon a few things. I would be arriving at RDU airport late, I was driving, I needed a good night’s rest, and early start, breakfast and a good price. How did the Days Inn do? Very well thank you. I had asked for a quiet room, meaning at the rear, but when I arrived, they said the only rooms left were on the front facing a major road in Raleigh. I need not have worried. The room, with the air-conditioning on, was quiet. The room was very big, the bed was great and the bathroom was large as well. I settled in a for a good night’s sleep and woke fairly refreshed. I had a coffee in my room, ironed my clothes and set off for the buffet breakfast. Not too bad.

The other great thing is that this hotel is well located not just for the highways, but there is a Walmart and a CVS Pharmacy practically on your doorstep. I was able to pick up a few needed supplies before I set off to drive to the beach.

The Days Inn does the job on all counts.

Please note: Get good directions if you are driving a rental car from the airport. I ended up at another Days Inn first!

OVERVIEW:
• Quiet, good beds, large rooms and a good breakfast
• Short drive to Crabtree Valley Mall, Rex Hospital, RDU Airport and Walmart
• 50 USD cash or credit card deposit is required at check-in to cover incidental charges
• Free Daybreak continental breakfast
• Fitness center
• Free high-speed Internet access, both wired and wireless
• Up to 2 pets - max weight 20 lbs allowed per room (charge of 35 USD per pet, per stay

• Room types: Double, Queen, King, Smoking, non-smoking, accessible
• Air Conditioning, Alarm Clock, Desk, Ergonomic Chair, Iron and Ironing Board
• HD flat screen televisions with 7 HBO channels and free on-demand movies
• Microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, guest laundry facilities and free parking
• Free daily USA Today newspaper
• Bath Tub, shower, Hairdryer, good toiletries
• Free local Telephone Calls
• Handicapped-accessible and non-smoking rooms are available

• Related to: Family Travel, Motorcycle, Road Trip
  • Written June 21, 2015

Days Inn Raleigh Glenwood-Crabtree

• Over60 profile photo Over60
  • Reviews: 166

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

America's Best Value Inn and Suites: Excellent Budget Accomodation in Albermarle

This budget choice offers far more than most hotels in its class. Nice people, cleanliness, everything in good condition, and surprising quiet. A few things could be improved: Room had coffee maker but no coffee, there was no hair dryer, the hall smelled of smoke, and no information about the area was available. Still, overall a really nice experience and incredibly good value.

Run by a family from India or Pakistan. Exceptionally nice people.

• Related to: National/State Park, Hiking and Walking, Family Travel
  • Written June 22, 2014

INN ON BILTMORE ESTATE: DISAPPOINTED

I have to state up front that I don’t get this hotel. I just cannot recommend it. This is a modern, almost characterless place. It is marketed as being on the Biltmore Estate and this is where the story starts to change. The Biltmore Estate is massive and in the beginning it had hundreds of square miles of gardens and forest. Today it is still a huge 8,000 acre expanse and this hotel is in the grounds. In fact the best feature of the hotel is the view over the mountains. Just do not expect to see or get close to the world famous Biltmore House – unless you buy a ticket. Yes – you do not get to drive around the full estate just because you paid a minimum of $269 of a room. A single room. 2 people? You may want to consult your bank manager before you make reservations. You are looking at a little over $400 for most rooms! Seriously – this is just a rip-off. The hotel is very nice, but it’s far from the Palace they are asking you to pay for.

The rooms are ok. Nothing luxurious, just nice. They do have good beds, excellent toiletries and it is absolutely quiet. Fair enough, but at this price you could stay at several luxury hotels in Asheville – twice. Possible more. Like I said, I don’t get this place. My brother had his (3rd) wedding here and stays here a lot on business. I would rather stay at the historic and charming Grove Park Inn any day.

On the plus side they have a bar (amazingly without any charm at all), an outdoor pool (some months), some excellent gift shops and a modern gym. You can also walk outside from the bar and see the mountain I grew up on. When I was a child I went to school with the children of one of the estate’s caretakers.

My recommendation? Stay elsewhere and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway if you want to really see the mountains and scenery. You can stop at dozens of places and go hiking or take a picnic. It just is not worth it to stay here for the money they charge. And they just keep charging. Want a ‘guaranteed’ view – that’s an extra $50 minimum! Want to see the Biltmore House and Gardens – even from the outside – yes tickets will easily set you back more than an additional $100! Now you understand. Save your money and see the Biltmore House. Give the Biltmore Hotel a miss and save a lot of money.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 201 rooms and 9 suites set in beautiful woodlands
• NO access to, or even sight of, the Biltmore House unless you buy tickets
• Guaranteed views are an additional fee - starting at $50!
• Outdoor pool and hot tub (open 6am-10pm and closed completely in Winter)
• Small (oddly) outdoor seating area
• Library, fitness center, bar, restaurant
• A shocking lack of facilities given the prices

• Nice décor supposedly based upon English and French manor houses
• Rooms are cleaned twice a day
• Great beds
• Complimentary bottled water, Coffee/Tea and daily newspaper
• Wi-Fi
• Bathrobe, slippers, great toiletries, mirrors and hairdryer
• Complimentary overnight shoeshine

• LoriPori profile photo LoriPori
  • Reviews: 3335

MASTERS INN STATESVILLE I-40: GREAT VALUE IN STATESVILLE NC

Wednesday night October, 27,2010
We did not drive too far today, because of the fog and very nasty weather. I checked my motel discount coupon book and decided to stay in Statesville at the MASTERS INN. Our coupon rate was $38.99 plus tax and included a hot breakfast in the morning.
Other amenities included:

weak watered down coffee
juice machine not working
cold cereal
dry little donettes
But they had a great waffle iron to make your own mag waffles and supplied syrup

• Written November 9, 2010

Masters Inn

• LoriPori profile photo LoriPori
  • Reviews: 3335

RED ROOF INN: GREAT LOCATION IN HICKORY NC

As we were staying in Hickory for three nights, I booked directly with the RED ROOF INN. We were given the rate of $52.19 per night which is pretty good since two of the nights were on the weekend.
Qualities were:
Newly renovated rooms
Free local calls
Free long distance calls within the US
Free Wi-Fi in all rooms
Computer desk & Chair
Small pets accepted
Complimentary gourmet coffee in the Lobby

We liked our room as it was clean and bright, but a few things were not in our room such as:
No Hairdryer (available at desk if needed)
No in-room coffeemaker
No microwave (though our friend's room did)
No mini-fridge
No continental breakfast
Not even a box of Kleenex
THE worst lumpy pillows - all of them.

• Written November 9, 2010

Red Roof Inn - Hickory

• Florida999 profile photo Florida999
  • Reviews: 358

Deep Creek Campground: Nice campground

Facilities are fine, campground is located just outside the Smokey Mountain National Park.
You can rent tubes there to go tubing down the creek.
The campsites have roofs over the tent areas ( some ) which is great, since it rains a lot in this area.
This campground is more expensive than the average campground , but very nice, and in a great location.

Just outside National Park!

• Related to: Family Travel, Camping, Hiking and Walking
  • Written August 2, 2010

Deep Creek Campground

• julianne2saw profile photo julianne2saw

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

bon paul and sharkeys: not very friendly hostel in asheville

4 days last october 2008. Very unfriendly and unsafe, door wide open when i arrived and no one in charge available but it was late so i just went to sleep and paid up the next day. Told there was virtually NO crime but my walkabout didnt support that concept (it is a city after all) Hired person at first refused me an extra blanket when weather turned cooler on fourth day. She was nasty in both meanings. A few other unfriendly and uninterested in hospitality moments so i will not return, may try some other ones in general area. Am considering relocation to general area from n georgia mountains to as far possibly as Mount Airy extreme north west north carolina. Would gladly trade my florida homestead for comparable in that area. Would have stayed there another two weeks as i liked some of what i saw in the general area but was so disgusted with the poor management and safety concerns. Am going back soon to try again but this time in campgrounds or the knoxville hostel i hear was very friendly and decent.

Nice city location, near major pentacostal style church with saturday very reasonable and good quality thrift shop which was helpful. Near health food store, and restaurants in haywood road area. Owner or manager, he would not say, trying to deal with drought with rain barrels and nice little garden. Clean enough with plastic covered sheets and rule of not bringing in your own blankets, (which i noticed was broken by others and i did have new blankets in my truck). A woman who works in china left behind a wire from her laptop and the manager refused to mail it to her, luckily, we got along well and I was able to mail it to her, she was very grateful. Paid helper made herself very scarce and i checked in four tired motorcycle guys and got them the info on local restaurants. persons working there didnt seem to know much about local area or attractions, hadnt been to cherokee, knew nothing at all about local nightspots. Luckily, local papers were stocked. Kitchen very clean with day crew, a mess with night crew. General unhelpful attitudes.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Budget Travel, Business Travel
  • Written September 23, 2009

• bpsycho profile photo bpsycho

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Raleigh-Cary: No southern hospitality!!!

The hotel will lie to get you out. My family received a chemical burn from their indoor pool that was overly chlorinated. At check out the front desk stated that the manager on duty was the cook and could not assist me with my complaint. The clerk called his supervisor and then, THEY OFFERED to take one night of the bill of my mother's and my room. I later got a call from the general manager who states she has no intention on refunding my money. Do not stay at this hotel!!! Not only is the indoor pool overy clorinated, to the point the my throat hurt from breathing in the gas after only a few minutes after which I left the pool, but the management does not care about their guest and blames all problems on the corporate office.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 20, 2009

• darwin132 profile photo darwin132

Peppertree Atlantic Beach: Great Resort Discount

I highly recommend staying at the Peppertree Atlantic Beach. They offerthe best in comfort and amenities, including indoor and outdoor pools, picnic areas, and basketball and volleyball courts. I stayed in a discount two-bedroom guest villa that featured a full kitchen and private balcony. This discount Atlantic Beach Hotel is based on going on a 90 minute timeshare presentation, which was harmless and informative, and definitely worth the savings.

- Indoor and Outdoor Pools
- Meeting Room

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written December 17, 2008

Hoge Wood House, Wilmington: A beautiful B&B

This lovely B&B is in one of the beautiful old historic houses of Wilmington. Its location is excellent – in a quiet residential street but within easy walking distance from the downtown area and riverfront for evening drinking and dining.

Double room rates range from $125-$145 with discounts for multiple night stays.

The house is lovingly decorated with a mix of traditional Southern décor combined with authentic Polynesian artefacts, reflecting the tastes and interests of the owners (still the same couple as when we visited – I checked!) There are three guest rooms, all (unusually for a B&B) en suite, and all decorated in keeping with the character and age of the house but simply rather than chintzy. We had Katherine’s Room, which is lovely and light (large windows) and has possibly the biggest bathroom I’ve come across in a B&B. Breakfasts were excellent and generous, including some great home-made waffles.

Our bedroom, Hoge Wood House, Wilmington

Edwards of Ocracoke: A peaceful back water

Edwards of Ocracoke is a cluster of faded clapboard buildings on the edge of the central part of the village, a few hundred yards from the harbour area. Its location makes it a peaceful place to stay – somewhere to chill and forget about the normal pace of life. Edwards is also very conveniently situated for one of the nicest restaurants on Ocracoke, the Back Porch, and for the great breakfast espressos at the Ocracoke Coffee Co.

We rented one of the eight motel rooms, but there are also efficiencies and cottages. Our room was one of the smaller ones, described as a Bungalow Room, and had a queen bed and a private bath. There were a couple of rocking chairs on the covered porch, and being covered meant that we could relax here even when it rains – a great place to read a good book or write postcards. The porches of all these rooms overlook a quiet street so you can also just sit here and watch the slow pace of Ocracoke’s world going by.

Prices for the bungalow rooms currently range from $48.00 - $70.00. Larger rooms overlooking the courtyard (with barbeque facilities) cost $59.00 - $87.00, while efficiencies go up to $97, and cottages rent at up to $695 a week in peak season.

On the porch at Edwards

Alpine Village Inn, Blowing Rock: Wierd and chintzy

We spent the night here after our visit to Grandfather Mountain. It’s in an excellent location in the middle of Blowing Rock village, has clean comfortable rooms at good value prices, a pretty garden with a welcoming swing and friendly owners (looking at the website it appears to be still under the same ownership as when we visited back in July 2000). Our one criticism was the style of the décor, which is chintzy in the extreme and seemed very out of place in what is basically a “mom and pop” motel. Check out Chris’s photo of the wreath that hung above our bed to see what I mean! And watch out for the bizarre collection of soft toys in the office, presented as if they were hunting trophies! Still I wouldn’t let that put you off as the motel is great in every other respect – and who knows, maybe you’ll like the décor more than we did.

Current rates (in season) range from $59.95 - $139.95.

We enjoyed an evening swing on the seat in the pretty garden - a good way to unwind after a day's driving

Wreath above our bed, Alpine Village Inn

Pisgah Inn: Wonderful mountain views

We spent a couple of nights in this Inn, which despite its name is actually a sizeable concern with a large number of rooms. These all have porches or balconies with stunning views of the mountain scenery and furnished with two rocking chairs so you can relax and enjoy those views. For us these views were one of the Inn’s main selling points. The others were its excellent location just off the Blue Ridge Parkway at its highest point (the elevation of the Inn is 5,000 feet), and the good dining facilities – very good local produce served in a room with those same wonderful views.

On the subject of eating [one of my favourite topics as regular visitors to my pages will know ;)] I enjoyed dishes such as lemon-baked local trout and crab-cakes. Current prices have appetisers around $5 and mains mostly in the region of $11.

As for rooms, the current price for a standard room is $89 – and yes, all rooms do have that view!

By the way, as is usual in and around the US National Parks, the Pisgah Inn operates under a concessions contract with the National Park Service. You should also note that it’s open from March 27th to November 3rd only.

The view - we loved seeing it at different times of day, but it was particularly great to wake up to scenery like this.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: National/State Park

Balcony at Pisgah Inn

• lonestar_philomath profile photo lonestar_philomath
  • Reviews: 573

Comfort Suites: Pineville Hotel, convient from the airport

Nice hotel. My flight was late so I already arrived late. I picked up my car and within 20 minutes found the Centrum Parkway exit. Once off the exit ramp I easily found the Comfort Suite and the clerk was friendly even though he was getting off his shift in 10 minutes.

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Road Trip