Atlantic Street Inn

205 E. Atlantic St., Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, United States

More about Kill Devil Hills

The monument on top of Kill Devil HillThe monument on top of Kill Devil Hill

Looking upLooking up

Seagate North during a spot of rainSeagate North during a spot of rain

Yet Another View for You!Yet Another View for You!

Travel Tips for Kill Devil Hills

Mile Markers

by ShoeBoxMemories

The whole island is divided into mile markers. As you drive along you will see them posted well. Everthing is advertsed as So-and-So road, Mile Post whatever. And if you want to have a pizza delievered, you'd better know your closest mile marker, believe me!

Bodie Island Lighthouse

by tpangelinan

About 20 minutes drive fron Kill Devil Hills...the Bodie Island lighthouse is in excellent condition.
Tours are available.
Built in 1872, it is 156' tall, with a 19 mile visability.
Hours are 9am to 5pm
Cost....FREE (We like that).
South on Rt. 12, signs are plentiful, easy to find.

Kill Devil Hill

by littlesam1

Kill Devil Hill is approximately 90 feet tall. Its a good walk to the top. There is a parking area near the Welcome Center. There is also a parking lot at the base of the hill. We were not aware of this and walked from the Welcome Center to the top. The 60 foot granite memorial was dedicated in 1932.

Model in Flight

by littlesam1

There are three different models of the Wright Brothers plane on display at the Memorial Park. The first one is in the visitors center. This one is behind Kill Devil Hill and is set up to look like the actualy first flight. The third one is in the flight museum located on the path leading back to the parking lot. If you click on the picture to enlarge it you will notice there is a guy in a hat on the plane just behind the Wright brother. Its me, surprise surpise. I guess I could be labeled the Wrong Brother.

LIfe on the Beach

by ShoeBoxMemories

"More than the water"

I've had the good fortune of seeing this town twice this year. My first trip was Spring Break with my roomate Mi Young and best friend from home Cassie. She flew into OKC, and we drove like nobody's business to the coast. We took turns driving and sleeping in my four door caviler, so it was cozy to say the least. It was mid March and most everything was closed, so we had the beach to ourselves.

It was pretty chilly there, in the 50's and 60's. We really didn't see the sun until the last day we were leaving, but we didn't let that overcast our fun. We rented wet suits and hit the surf anyways.

I also got to see the beach in full swing this summer when we camped through with my family. We had come from St. Augustine, to Mertle Beach, and the last stop was the Outer Banks. This time I had my own boogie board, and wet suits were unheard of, and the sunscreen was applied liberally! It was great to see the place with life, but the off season was nothing to sneeze at either. Any time you see it (maybe not hurricane season..) it's a ripping place to be!

Comments