1101 Cambridge Road, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, 27948, United States
Expedia.com AMOMA.com Hotelsclick.com

More about Kill Devil Hills

Nick on the beach at our motel :)Nick on the beach at our motel :)

Clarion Hotel, formerly the Holiday InnClarion Hotel, formerly the Holiday Inn

Ignacio and Hunter: 27 July 1984Ignacio and Hunter: 27 July 1984

Only Five???Only Five???

How Busy is Beach Rd???

by jtemb

We are contemplating vacationing in Kill Devil hills. Our group will have several small children and a property we are interested in is located one block from beach access but involves crossing Beach Rd. Have seen pics and the distance does not look far but how busy is Beach Rd??? I know it would be ideal to have oceanfront but the funds are just not there...

Thanks

RE: How Busy is Beach Rd???

by CindyMac

Hi! I own a condo in Duck, NC, a few miles north of Kill Devil Hills and I have traveled that beach road often. The road is passable in the summer and It's not very wide. Have fun. I love the Outer Banks!

Re: How Busy is Beach Rd???

by OBX4RN

Beach Road is fairly busy especially in the evening, but it is manageable even with small children. We always stay on BR - it is considered semi-ocean front. Make sure that you are near the public beach access or you may have to walk pretty far. We always stay right across from the public beach access - near MP6. Hope this helps!

Travel Tips for Kill Devil Hills

You never know whom you might meet

by b1bob

The week of 21-28 July, 1984 was the fourth year in a row we rented the cottage from Mr. Sykes a block from Avalon Pier. That same week, a family from Ecuador (the Marcháns) made holiday near where we did. The daddy worked for the Ecuadorian embassy in Washington). I would see them on the beach every day and one evening, my family and I ran into them at the Rose's in the Outer Banks Mall. At that time, I was pushing 15 years old and I had 2 years of school Spanish under my belt. The oldest child, María, was my age and she was very good looking. The middling child, Federico, was almost 3 years younger than I. My brother played with the youngest child, Ignacio, who is younger than he is. I was as impressed that Federico and María could speak English as they were that I could speak Spanish. Of course, Ignacio was not quite old enough to learn English, but he and my brother somehow made it work. For those who are wondering: no, I didn't take Federico up on his invitation to use his surfboard. If I had, I might not be here building this tip now. The 3 previous years, we had set up our beach blankets to the right of the pier as you face the ocean. I suggested we go left that year. If Mama had gone on with that, I never would have met these friends.

Avalon Fishing Pier

by b1bob

I also have this as a must-see activity, but I use this slot so I could get all the fishing information in.

PRICE:
day- $8 for adults, $4 children (12 and under)
3-day pass- $20
week- $40
season pass- $135

HOURS:
summer- 5am- 2am
spring/autumn- 6am-10pm BAIT SOLD ON PREMISES

3 rod limit, no shark fishing, tackle hired $5 per day with a $40 deposit for rod and reel combination.

The beaches

by b1bob

This picture was taken of me in 1982 in much calmer waters than in the year before. The beaches are the main draw to Kill Devil Hills during the summer months. The water is warm, the beaches are relatively clean, and are less spoiled by progress than Virginia Beach to the north and Myrtle Beach to the south.

Only Five Challenges to Flight?

by NC_Ziggy

This is once again in the exhibit area closest to the monument. The title of this exhibit struck me as a bit odd, but what do I know? I suppose more knowledgeable minds than this one have historically reduced the challenges to flight into these 5 categories.

Kill Devil Hills--Lovely town by the sea

by sabogg01

"Wright Brother's Memorial"

Plan to spend a few hours visiting this great historic site. Make sure to stop by the museum first to learn about the history of aviation and flight. Afterwards get ready to hike to the top of the giant dune to see the beautiful Wright Brother Monument. The wind is amazing on top of the dune!! The view is incredible! The hike to the top is a little rough if you are out of shape but very much worth it!!
Beautiful area to stop and visit!

"The beach and the Dunes"

The dunes are so beautiful and they line the beaches! I loved just sitting on the balcony at my hotel and looking out at the ocean over the dunes. If you are low on funds you can always visit one of the many beaches, and most of the hotels/houses have an ocean view! We stayed at the Cavalier Motel. It offers a playground, pool, hot tub, and best of all its right on the beach. The rates are low, we stayed Oct 1st-3rd and it was only $37 a night! make sure to check out their low rates!!

"Getting Around"

All of the landmarks are very well marked along the highway. Very easy to navigate here as it is a 2 lane rd all through the outerbanks. All of the towns are just a few miles apart, so if you aren't watching closely it is very easy to find yourself in the other towns without realizing it. Shops and restaurants are plentiful here but in off season most do close by 8 or 9PM. Make sure to get gas as far north as possible as it tends to get higher since the island is secluded. This is a beautiful place and everyone should visit at least once!

Comments