Colony IV by the Sea

405 S Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, 27948, United States
Shutters on the Banks
Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Colony IV by the Sea

No sleep at Colony IV

by TripAdvisor Member goswa

This hotel is clean and comfortable, has nice beach front location.
The room next to ours was occupied by a group or young rowdy drunks.
All night we heard drunks cursing, fighting over drugs and yelling offensive comments
at women in the parking lot. Calls to the managers office by us and others got the
response "They paid for their room, there is nothing we can do" They were of
no assistance.

Best on the Beach!

by TripAdvisor Member k_bahama

I selected this hotel based on reviews from this website. I am so glad I did. We went to check out our room right after we checked in and we discovered it was very clean. I was also surprised to see the bathroom tiles looked relatively new. There was a small fridge in the room which was convenient for keeping water/soda, etc. We stayed on the second floor which was advertised as having a 'partial ocean view.' I would say this was a fair accessment. The landscaping was nice and well kept. There is a shop right next to the hotel that carries a wide array of items you might have forgotten such as sunscreen. They also carried some basic food items and refreshments which was convenient. I was surprised that you could see the Wright Brothers monument from the parking lot of the hotel. Another nice surprise was the indoor pool and hot tub. The indoor pool looked like it was only built in the last few years and is very nice. We were able to enjoy the indoor pool one day when it was raining outside.
Ok, the only downside I noticed was that the rooms are not exactly sound proof. I was able to hear someone next to us loudly coughing. Other then that I had a great experience.

Read Reviews at Tripadvisor, and decided to give the "Motel" a try

by TripAdvisor Member CeaserLeo

So, if you're like me- You like a nice deal on a 4 star hotel. Hard to find one at the Outer Banks. The Sanderling looked wonderful from the pictures, but was a little too high for my wife and me who often take small getaway vacations.

So after hours and hours of searching and looking at all the hotels independently on the trip advisor forums, I decided to look into this "Motel" that somehow had recieved the numero uno position.

My wife who is a independent travel agent at "Breezegetaways" said she would never stay in a "Mo-tel". So after reading the reviews of fellow TripAdvisor Users, I noticed that the only complaint was due to a guest having problems with noisy neighbors... A situation totally out of hotel staffs control. I decided to sell this "Mo-tel to my Wife"

From the Tripadvisor reviews everyone said "Clean" and we decided that as long as it is clean, we would be ok. We don't like to have typical problems with dirty lodging, and often will refrain from staying anywhere below 3 star, and only if they meet certain criterea. (And will leave if we do not like)

So we arrived.... The lobby was clean to a T and we could tell the complex was either recently buit or renovated. Also knowing that it was privatly owned seemed to be one of the upkeep benefits.

So we openied the door to our room... The room was clean, no bad odors, just perfect. We didn't upgrade to the other building and there didn't seem to be much of a difference. (Besides the ability to see over a dune that blocks the view of the ocean from any lower level beach front room) It was great because you could walk out of your room, and up a typical beach path featuring showers and sinks for washing when leaving, right to the beach. They also had a small gazebo that provided for a good view of the Ocean when you didn't want to get your feet sandy, and view the beach.

The hotel featured a indoor and outdoor pool. The bad part was that they closed around 9:00 pm, me and my wife are night owls and ususally make our trips to the pool around this time for a late night swim. But irregardless of that, the indoor pool was heated, and this was not a term used loosely. This pool should be the standard for all "heated" pools. It was almost like swimming in a jacuzzi. Me and my wife loved it. The outdoor Pool was cold just like a regular pool. I thought this was nice because the "heat" might not be a selling factor during the "hot" season.

The breakfast... leaves alot to be desired, but hey it was "continantal", and fellow travelers should know that this doesn't mean to expect much especially eating free. It's a good way to give the kids a snack to keep from spending money at the unhealthy "Mc-Donalds" not far away.

They had a toaster oven that you could toast waffles, bagals, and a few other things in. A small compartment of pastries (small fruit danish, and small poppysead, banana, and I can't remember anymore.)

Only complaints were that the walls were pretty thin. In complete silence I could hear my next door neighboor snoring. But it was nothing untolerable. I remembered back to the TripAdvisor reviews on the person who said they had loud neigboors and saw how this could be a problem.

The staff also must have saw us in our room late (Since we are night owls) and decided to pass over cleaning our room. WIth the windows here you can leave your wooden blinds open, and the hotel staff often peek in around cleaning time to decide whether their "room service" knocks are warranted. Me and my wife looked past this and asked for some extra towels and cleaning supplies. We had another queen bed. This place didn't have any Kings availible when we traveled.

We had some fishing neighboors who I wish I would have got to know a little more. They keep on catching loads of fish. They told me they caught so many they would have to give some away... Of course this was prior to seeing me. I thought of how cool that would be to become a fisherman in Nags Head... But that's far from reality being that I don't enjoy seafood that much.

The Colony IV left a good impression on us, and we would recommend it far beyond it's commercial counterparts... Quality Inn, Comfort Suites,...

We actually stayed at the Quality Inn a few years ago. And would not go back there. We met with a "Real Estate" agent while in town, just to talk about the tourism vacation rental market. She told me of a few hotels I had never heard about that she implied were nicer. I'm sure they might be.. but just couldn't find them on the internet. Next time I will contact here first,research her suggestions, and keep in mind Colony IV is a safe bet.

Ok if you spend NO time in room

by TripAdvisor Member infinityandbeyond

I saw all of the great reviews for this hotel, so I decided not to priceline a hotel in the area instead (since 2 star is the highest available anyway). I wish I had pricelined something for cheaper (and it would have been comparable quality)! All in all, it was relatively clean (which is a plus), and had a good location BUT the room smelled of urinal cake - a funny "cleaning" smell - the beds had no blankets, just sheets and the (they never wash them-) bedspread, and yes, the walls are literally paper thin. Almost anyone's house or apt. would have thicker walls between interior rooms than the walls between the hotel rooms here. We had to listen to the people next door talking (in normal voices) until after midnight, and yes we could hear most of what they were saying. So the pluses - right on the beach, generally clean (although note: smell), nice jacuzzi and small pools, clean empty fridge and mini microwave, free breakfast in the a.m (bagels, muffins, etc.).

Thanks for identifying the gem in Nags Head

If I were driving down the road, there is no way that I would have thought Colony IV different than any of the motels by the Beach Road if not for TripAdvisor. Thank goodness I check this site before selecting a motel. All the reviews were spot on. The place was spanking new, the service was helpful, the noise not too bad (May is a shoulder month). We splurged on the 4th floor Tower room with a balcony overlooking the ocean. Today, the last day, we dawdled for half an hour before leaving so we could enjoy the view one last time.

The only slight disappointment was the pool sizes. They were no more than kiddie pool size and there were a lot of kiddies in it so we didn't get a chance to swim (the ocean was too cold). Can't speak for the breakfast, but I did look around a see they had a decent assortment of bagels, English muffins, and cereals. We ate at Stack Em High every day, which I think may be the best breakfast place I've ever been to.

Most of the other hotels look run down, so next time I'm heading back here.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member shanmark

This place deserves 5 stars just for the view but earns its points more ways. It has friendly and helpful staff. The beds were a little soft for me, but everyone else found them comfortable. We stayed in the tower building on the 2nd floor which is still protected from the winds that are famous there. We could still see out over the sand dunes to the water however. It was a little stormy when we got there but out on the gazebo we were protected and it was beautiful.

Love the Colony IV

by TripAdvisor Member luv2momy

Great Family place to stay. Very clean, great rate for oceanfront. Average breakfast but very clean and kept refilling. Indoor pool & outdoor. Great location. Close to all outerbanks has to offer. Will stay agian.

Terrific!

by TripAdvisor Member virginiawanderer

I chose this based on Tripadvisor reviews, and it was just as described. This was a gem. Simple - it is, after all, a motel, but comfortable, convenient & accommodating. When I asked the housekeeper to come back later, she actually asked what time would be good for me & came back at the requested time. Cleanliness is paramount for me & this was impeccable, including the dining area where the continental breakfast was served. Staff was very pleasant & there is free internet access in the rooms, which was great. There is a small indoor pool & a small outdoor pool, and a pristine walkway to the lovely beach. The rooms have a mini refrigerator & there is a convenience store a 2 minute walk from the motel for sundries & the morning newspaper. The area has its own funky charm - brunch at the Nags Head Pier, lots of fun shops & restaurants, all about as laid back as you can get. You do need to be specific in your room requests - only the 3rd & 4th floor of the " tower' have ocean views. Mine was lovely.

Pleasant Surprise!!!

My wife and I searched for a place that would be on the beach, but would not cost a lot of money. It was our first wedding anniversary. I read the reviews on this website and I checked out the hotel's website. When we arrived we were very pleased. This place is exactly as they advertise and they are clean, clean, clean (and this is a requirement for us). The staff were friendly, the rooms were practically new and spacious. The bathroom area is spacious and the fixtures are first class. Also, the room was quiet.

We had the best time and this hotel was a great part of it. We would highly recommend a stay at the Colony IV Motel by the Sea. We will be staying again.

Great Motel, Great Price

Stumbled across this Motel by searching online, decided to give it a try based on the reviews on this site. It was a great decision. It is a "Motel" but it's as good as any of the "hotels" that are in this price range. I've paid double this amount for a room thats comparable. The room was very clean and up to date. I got the "MP 1 &2' (see their website) Complete with 2 queen beds, microwave, fridge, and high speed internet. The area this motel is located in was good as well. Not far from many convieniences, but still slightly isolated and away from commotion. There were some minor distractions here, but nothing bad.

make sure to visit the sand dunes at Jockey Ridge not far from here.

Comments