Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach

1701 S Virginia Dare Trail, P.O. Box 2716, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, 27948, United States
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Travelocity Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach

Great Hotel

My family and I just returned from a visit to the Outer Banks, NC. We traveled with two other families and shared adjoining rooms at the Ramada Inn. The hotel employees were all very friendly and accommodating. The floor we stayed on had just been renovated and everything in the room was new and clean. The house keeping staff came by daily to clean and did a wonderful job. Because our time was limited, we did not get an opportunity to swim in the pool. I did take a look at the pool and found it to be clean and there were several families swimming in it. We had a very tasty breakfast at the hotel restaurant, the Peppercorn and the food and service was equally good. I also would like to mention that four charter buses full of 8th grade student from a North Carolina Middle School were also staying at the hotel. If I had not seen the kids get off the buses and enter the hotel, I would have never have known these kids were staying at the hotel. The hotel staff assigned the 150 or so kids to rooms away form the other patrons at the hotel. You never heard any excessive noise from the kids
This hotel has had many disappointing reviews but I found the accommodations to be excellent and would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Outer Banks of NC.

Best Hotel On the Beach!!

by TripAdvisor Member croozinsuz

My daughter and I came to the Outer Banks for a couple of days of R&R. Having read the reviews on this hotel I really wasn't sure how our stay would turn out...I must say it was PERFECT!!
The front desk personnel was very friendly and helpful as was the housekeeping person.
Our room was clean and inviting. The wireless access was great.
We ordered room service for breakfast. It arrived fresh and HOT...within 15 minutes of placing the order.
The indoor pool and hot tub was clean. The weather wasn't the best so having these facilities inside was a real plus.
I will most certainly come back to this hotel!!

Not 4-star

I stayed at the Ramada recently for a weekend getaway and too was a little uneasy based on reviews. I must admitt this Ramada does not measure up to the standards of others I've stayed in. The only housekeeping issue I had is that my sheets were not changed during the stay this may be there policy not to change until after 2days I did not verify. The deck was GREAT! it was clean had lots of rockers and chairs and proved very relaxing in the evening. The view we had in the morning from the Peppercorns restuarant was awesome and the staff were quite courteous. I did not like the pool set up because the main access for hotel patrons to the deck and the beach was THROUGH the pool area it just made for too much traffic and mess. I stayed on the 2nd floor and hopefully renovations for that are next because it was a bit dated. my biggest compliant (i saved the best for last) is that I say a roach crawling on the bathroom wall. I was checking out the next day so did not request a diffrent room which by the way probably had the same problem. It made me uneasy so i removed any and all luggage from the floor and zipped them tight! as to not invite hitchhikers.

Not Safe for Families with Children

Ok first let me say that the rooms were clean --(we had an ocean room an it had new furniture and was really quite nice )

Here were the problems -

We had our children with us - our 14 year old daughter and our 10 year old son. We booked this hotel because of the indoor pool. We were unable to use this pool because it was overrun by what seemed to be local teenagers. There had to be 10 to 20 local teens at any given time - they were smoking, drinking, using profanity, harrasing my daughter, and I beleive using and selling illegal substances.

We approched management about thisseveral times and they did absoulutly nothing about it -- they did not even seem concerned. They suggested that we use the YMCA pool -- I booked this hotel because of the pool and now they suggested that I drive to a pool -

We checked out and went to the Colony IV -- We Specifically asked them their policy on non hotel guests using their facilities and were assured that it was strictly prohibited -
we were very happy with them

There are other options

by TripAdvisor Member mireyaguerra

I want to be as objective and fair as possible:

- The service is very poor. The attitude of the front desk clerk was terrible. He did not accept a $5 coupon we had.
- The room and bathroom were clean, but the hotel needs some serious maintenance, especially in the deck (where racist comments were written on their walls).
- I couldn't believe that a Ramada Inn (where there are lots of children) would have a dining room where smoking is allowed.
- When we called they told us that the charge per pet was $20 per night; they charged us more without giving us explanations.
- The food at the restaurant was terrible. I had the sweetest orange juice of my life, a bowl of canned fruit topped with heavy whipped/sugary cream, and the worst service.
- The beach is beautiful, so the trip was worth it, but I'm sure you could find a better place for the same or lower price.

Really Bad

by TripAdvisor Member sommersonne

We stayed here as part of a large school group. The school actually arranged for the check-in and had pre-assigned rooms, so there were no problems there. Shortly after checking in, I hopped in the shower. As the stream of water hit the back of the shower, things started coming out of the back. At first, I thought it was bugs crawling out of the tub seams, but it was just mold/mildew coming out from behind the seams. Gross!

Really, the biggest problem was housekeeping, or lack thereof. My husband and I left the room around 9 a.m. Saturday morning. Prior to leaving we removed our Do Not Disturb sign from our door. We passed several housekeeping staff members as we walked to the elevator and joked that they would probably be happy we were leaving so they could actually have a room to clean, as most rooms on the floor still had the Do Not Disturbs hanging.

We returned at 2 p.m. and the room hadn't been touched. There were no signs of housekeeping staff in the hall so I called the front desk and told them we hadn't had any housekeeping service. The response I got was "Well, did you have a do not disturb sign on your door?!" I explained that we had been gone for five hours and there had been no sign hanging the entire time we were gone. He said he'd send someone up. Thirty minutes later I went down to the front desk in person and was told someone would be there shortly. Shortly after 3 -- over an hour after my original call -- I called the front desk again. This time I was told that they didn't have any housekeeping staff on site from 2 to 4 p.m., but they'd send someone as soon as the 4 p.m. shift arrived. Not sure why this wasn't explained to me the first time. (I'm guessing the front desk shift changed at 3:00.)

Soon after 4 p.m., someone came to make the bed and give us new towels. The bedspread was put on lopsided, but at least we had fresh towels. I would not recommend staying here. It's dirty and has poor service.

An OK Stay But Over Priced.

by TripAdvisor Member MyLadie

Staff was friendly but the hotel is OLD so don't expect everything to be new since you're paying $150 + for a room that is not ocean view. Ocean view are more expensive. Wall paper were peeling and the small refrigerator was not working properly causing our food to spoil. Maybe in a few years they will be able to get around to remodeling the hotel since they are charging almost 200 for a room.

Ramada 'Dunes View' Room

by TripAdvisor Member ly9898

I stayed one night in Rm 130 , a dunes view room. I think the bottom floor usually allows pets to stay on this floor. You couldn't tell that any pets had ever stayed here, the room was very clean and fresh smelling. the view was just that, of the dune in front of the back door to the room. you cannot lock that door from the outside or get into the room once locked( from this patio door). you can however lock up anything worth locking up in the safe provided in the room and then trot onto the beach via the walkway that goes along the back walk up into the outside bar area and deck, the deck has a few places to sit and watch the beach goers or keep strolling onto the beach yourself from here. they have an inside pool that also is open to the deck area. the hotel was quiet that night .

The hotel was overpriced but OK for one night

by TripAdvisor Member WCubed

We really did not want to stay in this area because the hotels are generally overpriced and, because of the proximity to the ocean, usually not all that clean. We chose the Ramada because it is part of a well known (although aging and diminishing in quality) chain.
The room was large and cleaner than we expected. The only thing I didn't like was a perfumy odor apparently from the cleaning products they use. The bathroom wasn't perfect, but was clean enough. We appreciated the refrigerator, and the room was quiet despite being close to the indoor pool. we also appreciated that we were able to get a large breakfast at a reasonable price in their in-hotel restaurant. The restaurant service and the food were above average for what we paid.
Even though we are not really beach people, it was nice to be able to walk over to the beach and sink our toes into the sand and water.
All in all, we were pleased with our hotel selection, but we thought the room was overpriced compared to the quality of the rooms we are used to.

Nice Stay

by TripAdvisor Member CarlNova

Stayed here in May 2005 for vacation, my birthday. Very nice property. The ocean front (balcony) room was awesome. Clean, decent size, and decently maintained.

The beach at Kill Devil HillsThe beach at Kill Devil Hills

Mama fixing breakfastMama fixing breakfast

I'm the taller one in orangeI'm the taller one in orange

Another ViewAnother View