3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

5353 North Virginia Dare Trai, Kitty Hawk, NC, 279

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Costs 97% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

This was our first vacation to the Outer Banks. We really liked the place. The hotel was new and conveniently located on the beach. We didn't try the restaurant as we decided to go out for dinner to local restaurants. We recommend the hotel and will definitly come back.

More about Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

What a relaxing stay

by TripAdvisor Member lizziepride

We spent two nights in May. The room was very comfortable and attractively furnished. The view from our room was excellent. The lobby area is one of the most nicely furnished I've seen in a long time. We had the buffet breakfast each morning ($9.95/person)--it was very good and well worth the price. The beach is in easy walking distance. We had a great stay. We will be back soon.

Very Pretty Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Clancysclan

This Hotel is located right on the beach. Very attractuve property. Very clean, great staff, very nice restaurant with excellent servers. The Lobby rivals the Four Seasons. Fresh baked cookies every day at the front desk. Very comfortable beds and rooms. Very good laundry facilities. Nice outdoor pool area and just steps to the beach. Breakfast served until 10:30 which is great if you don't want to get up early. The staff also sets up a little bar daily by the pool. I highly recommend this Hotel.

Excellent Outer Banks Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Hoopster45

Excellent Outer Banks Property
There had been some criticism of the property earlier in the year. Our stay was excellent in every way! Staff was responsive, hotel is new and very clean and the location is central, so travel in either direction is convenient.

Fabulous location with beach access

by TripAdvisor Member Sabine_D

I booked a room here at the last mintue (around 4 pm the day I needed to check in). For peak season, I thought the rate was very reasonable, given the oceanfront location and practically private beach.
The lobby area is very nice, the room was what I would expect from a 3-star property (but with a better bed than one used to find in the H. Garden Inn properties).
The private pier behind the hotel provided a terrific experience for my six-year-old, who was visiting the ocean for the first time.

The hotel also had free high speed internet access, which I consider a MUST.

First Visit, Good Experience

by TripAdvisor Member smalltownwoman

A Concise Review of the Hilton Garden Inn in Kitty Hawk

Introductory Information: Our first visit to the Outer Banks(a beautiful place), booked at noon the day we arrived. Ocean view room facing courtyard. King with frig and microwave, sofa, desk.

Positives
1. Beautiful Hotel, Amazingly well kept for a beach hotel.
2. Comfortable Beds
3. Friendly Staff
4. Outdoor Pool with towels provided
5. Spacious Room
6. Overall cleaniness (* See negative comments)
7. Private beach entrance and private pier
8. Rooms are fairly noiseless (some noises but not extreme)
9. Hotel dining (allowing us to go an entire day without getting in our car) Food was good
10. Lady who made my reservation had a horrible time getting computer to work for her but never lost my reservation and did me the courtesy of returning my call instead of keeping me on hold forever.

Negatives
1. Outdoor pool walls could use a little scrubbing but water was clean and treated with chlorine
2. Our bathroom wasn't cleaned the second day. It wasn't horribly dirty but obviously hadn't been cleaned.
3. Bread with entree would be nice when dining
4. Some presence of security wouldn't hurt on pier and beach entrance. There were some people there who weren't guests and were on the fringe of getting obnoxious. I wouln't want it to get so strict that guests feel constrained but a little presence might go a long way.

Overall a wonderful relaxing experience and and I would recommend this hotel.

Relaxing Ocean Front!

by TripAdvisor Member thomasja

Our room was exactly what we booked. It was an oceanfront, fourth floor/above the dunes, balcony, jacuzzi tub, king sized bed, corner room. Because we were there for 5 days, it was quite convenient to have the microwave, refridgerator, and coffee pot set up in a hutch type area with a granite counter. The jacuzzi tub was in the corner of the large room, very convenient for watching tv! There was a love seat, chair and coffee table, still with plenty of room to walk around. The balcony had two plastic chairs and a plastic table, AND an outlet - we had packed a table top fan that we brought out on the balcony with us! The Garden Sleep System bed was very comfortable, no back pain! The fitness center had two treadmills, free weights, and a universal weight machine - hotel provided towels and there was a water cooler. The were both indoor and outdoor pools - hotel provides the towels. This is probably the only hotel I have ever stayed in that did not call or knock since we left our "do not disturb" sign on the door every day. They were responsive to all our requests and questions. The downsides: I wish there had been a screen door on the balcony so we could have had the door open (too many bugs!!!), and the sliding doors for the balconies on/in the surrounding rooms were loud - the slide made a loud rubbing noise and the door meeting the jam sounded like a heavy slamming door even if it was closed carefully. Our t.v. reception was not very crisp for an HD t.v., and the wireless network was weak.

great hotel but staff not friendly

by TripAdvisor Member francois_family

The hotel is very nice, the lobby is beautiful and it was always a pleasure to have our breakfasts there.

But when we arrived at 4pm after a very long trip with 3 exhausted kids, we had to wait for more than 1 hour because, we were told, the room was not ready. the staff at the front desk was not friendly and they did not know what to do because so many people were waiting for their room because of "computer issues..."

Moreover we got pbs with the cleaning of the room! we stayed 9 days and the room was cleaned only 3 times!! I was tired of asking at the front desk for having a cleaned room. And when it was done, the maid forgot to empty the trash or to clean the bath... it was not acceptable.

the floor of the indoor pool was not clean. it was dirty. The water of the outdoor pool was not clean enough.
And there were never clean towels at the outdoor pool (whatever morning or afternoon).

however we enjoyed our stay because the hotel is on the beach and it was great for the kids. But our stay could have been more relaxing with friendly staff and a clean room...

Can't wait to go back

by TripAdvisor Member beautiful_thing

We decided on a last mnute vacation to OBX and thought this place looked perfect online and we were right! We asked for two rooms near each other (traveled with 6 people) with 2 doubles in each and were given rooms next to each other which was a nice switch from places that never seem to honor those requests. Oceanview rooms face either north or south but still have nice views of the ocean. If you want oceanfront, book the "waterfront" rooms. I would suggest not booking the ground floor waterfront rooms or you will have people walking by your sliding doors constantly (if you are in the north tower). The fridge and microwave are always nice to have. We never bothered with the in room coffee pot and just took advantage of the coffee bar (with coffee, tea and hot chocolate) and had fresh beverages day and night. The kids loved the free cookies at night. Everyone we encountered working there were nice, friendly and helpful. The houskeeping staff seemed a little slow but were very accomodating to our schedule if we ran into them while going in and out of the room. I must say though that the highlight of this hotel is not really the hotel itself but the extras available to you. Having both an indoor pool and an outdoor pool was great. The jacuzzi by the indoor pool is HUGE and very hot but a nice change from a lot of hotels with tiny jacuzzis. The outdoor pool is nice enough and a must have at the beach in my opinion. The water seemed a bit green some days but it seemed clean and the kids had no complaints. The beach in front of the hotel is nice. You are close to t he pier but that wasn't a problem at all. For us, the pier was the highlight of the trip. It is private to the hotel guest and we spent hours upon hours out there fishing. There were some locals who showed up to fish and they did get chased off by the hotel staff on occasion but honestly, they were nice to have around sometimes for tips and pointers on how to catch fish and where. We never ate at the restaurant but it seemed busy mostly at breakfast time. All in all, we had a wonderful trip and are already planning on another visit soon.

Newest Hotel at Beach With Some Porblems

by TripAdvisor Member marmatt

This is a new hotel in an area that has had mostly older hotels for years. I was so exited not to have to drive up to Corolla to the Hampton Inn for a newer place, but in hindsight, wish I did.

the hotel is new, but has no ambiance. The pool is terrible, it is bright green and there is no landcaping around. A few palm trees would make such a difference. This is not a nice pool to relax at and feel like you are on vacation. There is no color or anything decorative at all . they were also constantly out of towels.The trash is not picked up all day.

The indoor pool is dirty and the room is really hot.

The rooms were not ready at 4:00 and they had alot of upset people waiting for rooms.

No towels in room, called the front desk 3 times, no towels. I finally had to go down in the morning to the front desk to get towels. Desk clerk said they always run low, buy more??????

Breakfast is a great deal, $ 11.00 for great food and selection.

Next time, I will drive up to Corolla, the Hampton Inn and Suites is so much nicer and does not have these problems. Pool area is great, rooms are much larger and nicer, and staff is so much more efficient. Breakfast is also free. there is also a lifeguard stationed in front of the HI that makes me feel so much better when my kids are in the ocean.

Comments