9701 E Independence Blvd, Matthews, NC 28105

Orbitz.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• Lack of staff--Complete waste of money

My family and I stayed at this hotel and must say our visit was horrific. I wanted to use the swimming pool and noticed it was filthy. I asked the front desk clerk if someone could clean it and was told it would be. An hour and a half later, the pool still was dirty. I went back to front desk to ask when it would be cleaned. Cristian (Front Desk) became abrupt and said, “I can’t do it right now. I have guests. You are going to have to clean the pool. There’s a skimmer net and pool brush if you want it cleaned.”

I asked for the manager, but Cristian told me he was the only one on duty. I also mentioned there were 7 burned out light bulbs in the vanity of the room we stayed in. I told him I needed seven 25 watt bulbs, but he handed me 2 energy saver bulbs. The manager, Chet Patel, called me at the room and had the nerve to say I was responsible for cleaning the pool and for getting my own towels since housekeeping was not available. All he did was talk without allowing me to speak. When given a chance to speak, he rudely interrupted me. I asked him to come take a look at the dirty pool, but he refused.

I called the Health Department and as it turned out, the manager did not even have a permit to run the pool. I took pictures of the dirty water and bottom of pool. I sent the pictures to the manager, but he refused to admit any negligence. I asked for a partial refund due to the unpleasant visit, but no refund was offered at all. I had to call Customer Care to complain as well.

So, if you're looking for a comfortable and enjoyable visit, I recommend staying far away from this dive of a hotel. It is mismanaged, short-staffed and a waste of money and time. Holiday Inn Express is better and much more accommodating.

Unique Quality: N/A

Directions: Near downtown Matthews and Harris Teeter

More about Matthews

Cute garden shop in downtown MatthewsCute garden shop in downtown Matthews

Travel Tips for Matthews

Small town feel

by acemj

I like the community atmosphere and the small town feel of Matthews. It doesn't feel like it's just a suburb of Charlotte, but instead it feels like a self-sufficient town (which it is!).

You're likely to see lots of kids skateboarding and families getting together for barbecues. Neighbors seem to get along great here and they'll definitely welcome the occasional visitor with open arms.

I took this photo near the pond in front of Matthew Presbyterian Hospital.

Comments