Candlewood Suites Raleigh-Crabtree

Costs about the same, but rated 10% higher than other 2 star hotels

More about Raleigh

At NC Museum of HistoryAt NC Museum of History

Exterior 1Exterior 1

These are the "award" plates on the wallsThese are the "award" plates on the walls

Rope some Fun in Raleigh !!! Photo. Carrie LeonardRope some Fun in Raleigh !!! Photo. Carrie Leonard

Relocating from Pearl City, Hawaii

by Maikeli

I know, you are probably asking yourself, "Why on earth would you move away from HAWAII!!"
Let me tell you, Hawaii is not an easy place to live, by any means. Basically, it is not for mainlanders (haoles). Problems include: racism, anti-mainlanderism, cost of living, quality of housing, job market...
Anyway, my wife and I have been looking for where to move, and Raleigh is at the top of our list. I'm an ESL teacher and she is a communications/marketing person, so we are wondering about job availability; whether or not the culture is accepting of outsiders/newcomers; where the "good" and "bad" neighborhoods are; and generally, what it is like to live in the Raleigh area.
Any advice or descriptions would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone wants to know what life is like for a "haole" in Hawaii, I have more than a few stories to share.
Mahalo nui loa! (thanks a lot!)
-Mike

RE: Relocating from Pearl City, Hawaii

by blurryguy

Hey I really don't know where a good place to live is but I use to live in hawaii and you are so right...it isn't an easy living over there. I mean the beaches are beautiful and the shoppin areas are great but wow just for rentin a place it seems like you have to work 2 jobs...I never really had to deal with the racism cause I'm part Hawaiian but I do know its there. lol cya

RE: Relocating from Pearl City, Hawaii

by MandaJ320

you wouldn't believe how many transplants live in the south, especially north Carolina. in the urban areas like Charlotte and Raleigh, i'd say most of the people aren't originally from NC. i'm not originally from NC, (i'm from one state away), but i've never had a problem. a lot of northerners decide to move down here for the warmth and slower paced life, so you wouldn't be the only one! my best friend growing up moved to Hawaii for three years. i've never been... but i've heard stories about "haoles," and i can tell you, southerners aren't like that at all! :-)

if you're an ESL teacher, i'm sure you'd have no difficulty finding a job. the Latino population is expanding greatly in NC. the job market here has really picked up over the past few years in general, so i'd say you'd be in good shape. plus the cost of living is so much cheaper than in other parts of the country! good luck!

Travel Tips for Raleigh

Gary's place

by b1bob

We crossed the Virginia-North Carolina border at 3.58 at Warren County. We arrived to Gary's flat exactly 3 hours after leaving my driveway in Mechanicsville. we had supper at Fuddrucker's (see "restaurant tip"). I felt better on eating something and better still on taking a shower. A trip by car over 140 miles (225 km.) should not be that big of a deal, but I was mentally drained. I caught up on this journal until WEAKEST LINK. On that programme, contestants dressed up like Father Christmas, a Christmas tree, Father time, an angel, a reindeer, etc. I don't know which was more humiliating, having to appear on national television in those costumes or being among the first voted off the programme. After watching 7 on 8 contestants making a complete fool of themselves, I rung the 800 number for American Airlines. Given all that has happened up to the trip, a last-minute change in flight number and time on their part was not fully unexpected. I caught a break as the flight number was still 1799 and the appointed takeoff was still 1.55 for the following day and a good weather report for both Raleigh and Miami. Gary watched the wrestling matches while I read a book and looked at photos of Gary and Marc's trip to Arizona just after flights resumed after the foolishness of 11 September. Wrestling just isn't my thing. After Gary went to bed, I caught the weather report on WRAL 5. I checked it again because I learned since I bought my tickets not to trust good luck. They said it would rain throughout much of the night, but clear off early and be sunny and windy the following day. I also watched the latter half of the Monday night football game. St. Louis New Orleans 34-21.

Kurama Sushi and Noodle

by beccamye about Kurama Sushi and Noodle

Sushi on a conveyor belt is raw heaven. You can order from the menu, but most people simply choose from the rotating already made rolls, which are on color-coded plates for easy pricing, gold being the most expensive. Chefs work in an enclosed area to restock the conveyor belt--always reminds me of that episode of 'I Love Lucy' where the chocolate moves too fast and she gets behind! I think Kurama exceeds sushi standards but is surprisingly affordable (huge ramen bowl for $5, spider rolls for $5). If you're lucky, my friend Karla will be your waitress. She sits in a booth and knits when it's not busy, and has been known to look the other way when you 'borrow' one of the platic multi-colored sushi plates... The daily specials board rarely changes. I think the eel bowl has been 'on special' for about six months now, but that's O.K., because it's my favorite. As a starter,I recommend steamed edamame(soybeans)or the shrimp dumplings. Kurama has a delicious selection of hot noodle bowls as well. For dessert, brave the green tea ice cream.

Classy Italian Joint

by TimDaoust about 518 West

Not just excellent food, but a nice old building, that gives it a great atmosphere. There is a bar and upstairs and downstairs dining. It is housed in an old brick building, on the corner of Glenwood and Jones St. right behind 42nd Street Oyster Bar. There are all sorts of architectural nuances in the building like archways a wide staircase with a small niche halfway up where there is a small table for two, ornate cast iron railings on the upper level, and the ceiling is even painted like a cloudy sky. There cuisine is traditional Italian and Mediteranean with a twist. A great wine list, their wood burning oven and cappucino bar are all great features. You may want to make reservations here. I have had their Chicken Marsala several times and never been dissappointed, but the other day I had Their wood grilled beef tenderloin which was excellent. They cover it with a chianti glaze and parmesan cheese and serve it with creamed spinach and mashed potatoes. Bella!

North Carolina State Fair

by MovingMere

North Carolinians from all 100 counties come to the capital city every fall (generally the third week in October, including both weekends) for the NC State Fair. There's usually one day during the fair when admission is free if you bring in canned goods for the food bank.

The Jim Graham building and the surrounding areas display local art, crafts, and the best fruits and vegetables grown all year. Farmers from all over bring their animals to show and to help educate the public about the origin of their food.

Speaking of food, vendors at the fair sell tons of food that no one should actually eat, but man is it delicious. From giant turkey legs to deep fried twinkies to elephant ears (or funnel cakes), there's something for the unhealthy person in all of us. ;) The roasted corn is also really good.

You should play at least one game while you're there, even though they're probably all rigged and there's no way you'll win... but interacting with carnies is worth it...

There are also tons of rides, but the ferris wheel is the only thing that doesn't want to make me vomit, so I spend my money on food instead of ride tickets.

Oh yeah, parking sucks. So does the traffic. You can't really get around it, so just smile and think of all the fried food waiting for you.

raleigh north carolina

by doug48

"the capital of north carolina"

raleigh is the capital of north carolina and the county seat of wake county north carolina. wake county was founded in 1770 and is named after margaret wake tryon the wife of governor william tryon. in 1792 the capital of north carolina was relocated to raleigh from new bern. raleigh is named after english colonialist sir walter raleigh. in april 1865 raleigh was captured by union general hugh kilpatrick during william t. sherman's carolina campaign. fortunately for the antebellum architecture in the city raleigh was spared significant destruction during the war. the economy of raleigh suffered during the radical reconstruction period after the civil war and it took decades for it to rebound. today raliegh is part of north carolina's high tech triangle and is a manufacturing and transportation center.
raleigh has much to offer the tourist. raleigh has an excellent collection of museums and historic homes and buildings. for ACC college football fans raleigh is home to north carolina state university. downtown raleigh has a good selection of hotels, restaurants, and bars. raleigh is an interesting place to visit in north central north carolina.

Comments