Clarion Hotel State Capital

Poor Value

Costs More and Rated Lower than similar hotels

See Same Stars, Better Value Hotels

Worst Hotel I've Ever Been To

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 29, 2010

This is, by far, the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The rooms were dirty and (as others have pointed out) so small you could barely tolerate a stay there (the bathroom was so small I literally had to lean into the shower to close the door).

As for the services, I expected only air conditioning and wireless internet as they clearly claimed the possessed. First the wireless internet was non-existent. Having called the front desk I found that you had to connect via an Ethernet cord and a jack located such that I had to lay down on the floor (a thoroughly disgusting prospect, let me assure you). The front desk provided one under the condition that I rent one (liable to charge) from them. Yet when I plugged it in, I was unable to access the internet. Concerned I called the front desk once again. They offered to send someone up, which I thought was a decent idea. Yet, when he arrived (after a considerable delay) he merely checked that it was plugged in and said that was all he knew how to do (I found out later he was a security guard) and suggested I go downstairs and utilize their "wireless connection". Yet when I did, I found that it was password protected and I was unable to get the desk to give me the key. (eventually I found a different signal being broadcast by some other business in the area I could use for map directions.

As for the air conditioning, it did not work at all (the high heat was exactly the same as the high cold, I checked). Without the ability to even open the window, the air was hotter and stuffier than it was outside (a mean feat for mid summer). Needless to say, I was completely unable to sleep.

As for the organization of the hotel, it left much to be desired. I had previously reserved a 2 queen sized bed room. Yet when I got there the room held 2 full sized beds (they refused a swap, or any kind of compensation. I even had to pay for queen sized). Also I was forced to give them I debit card before they would let me stay a night, even though I had cash on hand to pay for it. But the desk assured me that when I checked out they would drop the hold on my card immediately, so I went along with it. Then when I checked out (at the very earliest possible time the next day so that I could relocate to a much nicer holiday inn at the crabtree valley area) they assured me again that it would be dropped. But I found out later that they did not in fact have it dropped by my bank. My bank suggested that I call and have the hotel fax a single document to them so that they may drop the hold. But when I called the Clarion, I was told that it was procedure to place a hold on my card for at least three to five days and I was mistaken about what the desk had said, twice. They also told me that they could not drop it because the bank wouldn't allow it even though I had already told them that the bank was willing to go ahead and drop it if they faxed a single document.

As for the employees they were rude, unhelpful, and dishonest.

Also the Alarm Clock was broken.

Overall, I would not recommend this to my worst enemy.

Directions: Downtown Raleigh

Nearby Clarion Hotel State Capital

Clarion Hotel State Capital

• Clarion Raleigh
  • Raleigh Clarion
  • Clarion Hotel Raleigh
  • Clarion State Capital

Address: 320 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, North Carolina, 27603 1786, United States

Amenities at Clarion Hotel State Capital

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Raleigh Travel Forum

Need advice about Raleigh, North Carolina? Visit the Travel Forum for Raleigh and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Raleigh hotel reviews

Large selection of Sushi and Thai food
The Executive Mansion
Carousel Farms - Tuesday Night Bull Riding
Things to Do
Chicken and Waffles done right!
Sarah Duke Gardens
Huge Burritos, great fare
Restaurants
A delightful place tucked away by the rails
Restaurants
north carolina museum of natural sciences
city market
andrew jackson monument
federal building
st. mary's college
north carolina state university
north carolina state archives
Things to Do
north carolina museum of history
italian
Museum Park (NCMA)
North Carolina Musuem of Art
Late lunch one Sunday in July
Restaurants
More than just cheese cake!
Restaurants
Visiting the Mall for evening shopping.
Shopping
Yet another quality steakhouse to visit!
"Beefeaters Haven"