Clarion Hotel State Capital

HolidayInn.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 15% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Worst Hotel I've Ever Been To

This is, by far, the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The rooms were dirty and (as others have pointed out) so small you could barely tolerate a stay there (the bathroom was so small I literally had to lean into the shower to close the door).

As for the services, I expected only air conditioning and wireless internet as they clearly claimed the possessed. First the wireless internet was non-existent. Having called the front desk I found that you had to connect via an Ethernet cord and a jack located such that I had to lay down on the floor (a thoroughly disgusting prospect, let me assure you). The front desk provided one under the condition that I rent one (liable to charge) from them. Yet when I plugged it in, I was unable to access the internet. Concerned I called the front desk once again. They offered to send someone up, which I thought was a decent idea. Yet, when he arrived (after a considerable delay) he merely checked that it was plugged in and said that was all he knew how to do (I found out later he was a security guard) and suggested I go downstairs and utilize their "wireless connection". Yet when I did, I found that it was password protected and I was unable to get the desk to give me the key. (eventually I found a different signal being broadcast by some other business in the area I could use for map directions.

As for the air conditioning, it did not work at all (the high heat was exactly the same as the high cold, I checked). Without the ability to even open the window, the air was hotter and stuffier than it was outside (a mean feat for mid summer). Needless to say, I was completely unable to sleep.

As for the organization of the hotel, it left much to be desired. I had previously reserved a 2 queen sized bed room. Yet when I got there the room held 2 full sized beds (they refused a swap, or any kind of compensation. I even had to pay for queen sized). Also I was forced to give them I debit card before they would let me stay a night, even though I had cash on hand to pay for it. But the desk assured me that when I checked out they would drop the hold on my card immediately, so I went along with it. Then when I checked out (at the very earliest possible time the next day so that I could relocate to a much nicer holiday inn at the crabtree valley area) they assured me again that it would be dropped. But I found out later that they did not in fact have it dropped by my bank. My bank suggested that I call and have the hotel fax a single document to them so that they may drop the hold. But when I called the Clarion, I was told that it was procedure to place a hold on my card for at least three to five days and I was mistaken about what the desk had said, twice. They also told me that they could not drop it because the bank wouldn't allow it even though I had already told them that the bank was willing to go ahead and drop it if they faxed a single document.

As for the employees they were rude, unhelpful, and dishonest.

Also the Alarm Clock was broken.

Overall, I would not recommend this to my worst enemy.

Directions: Downtown Raleigh