Hampton Inn Raleigh-North

Hampton Inn Raleigh Midtown
Priceline.com Booking.com Hampton.com

More about Raleigh

At NC Museum of ArtAt NC Museum of Art

Night time exteriorNight time exterior

Restaurant & tavern & pub interiorRestaurant & tavern & pub interior

Downtown RaleighDowntown Raleigh

Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by swahili4courage

My wife & I are in our mid 30s and have 2 small kids, ages 5 and 3. We have lived in the DC region (Northern Virginia suburbs) since the mid-1990s and are in need of a change. We just feel the DC surrounding region has become so overcrowded and so overpriced we just need to move away. We made a trip to the Raleigh region in summer 2004 and really liked what we saw. We want to relocate to the Raleigh area.

Ideally, we would line up a job in the Raleigh region before we left the DC region, but have found that employers are reluctant to interview people from out of state. There seems to be an influx of "transplants" from the northeast and western states to the Raleigh area. We've really had it with the traffic, overpriced housing, etc of the DC surrounding region. I've been doing IT support for the last 11 years (Windows sys admin, desktop, application support) and my wife is a medical records technician. Hope to move and be in place in the Raleigh area by summer 2006. What types of things should we be doing now in preparation for this goal? Can any of you fellow "transplants" recommend some companies or give advice here? Did your company pay for your relocation to Raleigh area or did you have to fund it yourself? Any advice/info is most appreciative.

RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by elsensei

I didn't move to Raleigh, but did something similar in that I moved from California to Atlanta as I was tired of the high costs of housing in CA.

In my experience with jobs, unless your occupation is super specialized and in high demand, you will have to move first and then get a job. Companies don't want to talk to you if you are out of state, as they will not want to pay for you to travel for an interview. Likewise, if they do hire you they don't want to pay all the relocation fees.

If possible, either you or your wife should get a small month to month rental apartment and pound the pavement looking for a job. Use the local address on your resume and get a local number cell phone.

I my case, I bought a house with no job and hoped that I would find something before I went bankrupt! Stressful, but luckily I got something in about 2 months.

Start saving now just in case your move has bumps, as it surely will. Good luck

RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by liveinraleigh

Hi:
After living here 18 years and in the tech. industry, I would strongly suggest
that you have a job before you move. After the tech bubble burst this area
still has not recovered. Many employees from Nortel, IBM, Cisco etc. that were layed off still are out of work or have left the tech. and IT industry.
Yuor best bet if you are serious would be to hook up with one of the contract agencies and see if your skills match any openings they have with local companies.
Health care openings are pretty good, so I think your wife will have no problem landing work.
Good luck.

RE: RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by swahili4courage

Thanks. Can you list/name any of the contract agencies in the Raleigh area. We are also considering Charlotte area, too. So if (or anyone) has info on both Charlotte and Raleigh areas please share.

Once again, what are some of the contract agencies U know of in Raleigh area. Thanks again!

RE: RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by lmbear2000

Have you relocated yet? If so, have you found employment?

RE: RE: RE: Hoping to Relocate to Raleigh in One Year

by lmbear2000

Have you relocated yet? If so, have you found employment?

Travel Tips for Raleigh

Getting there, 17 December 2001

by b1bob

The day I had anticipated since 13 August had finally come. Gary came by the house to pick me up at 2.00, earlier than the originally agreed upon 3.00. It didn't make any difference. Because the weather is opposite south of the equator, I packed my warm weather clothes and was effectively read to go for a week. Gary and I hung out a bit before latching onto my black carry-on (which has gone with me around the world since Australia in 1991) and my book bag and stowing it in the car. The adventure officially got out of the starting gate at 2.19 when we boarded Gary's 1996 GMC Jimmy and left Mechanicsville for the rest of 2001. We took Mechanicsville Turnpike to I-64 west where we joined I-95 south in downtown Richmond. We stayed on that through to Petersburg, where we took I-85 south through to Henderson, North Carolina. We took route 1 south the rest of the way starting round about Henderson. Gary played some classic rock tunes along the monotonous stretch of I-85 from Petersburg through to South Hill, Virginia. If I were of a superstitious mind, I would be more than a little bothered by the radio station coincidentally playing "Free Fallin'" and "Stairway to Heaven" in close succession on a day before I was to take the airplane. However, I'm not of that mind, I only noted it because it was a very curious coincidence.

If you leave hungry, it's your fault!

by b1bob about Fuddrucker's

Not having taken but a pittance at breakfast and nothing at lunch, I was so hungry I could eat the rear end off a low-flying duck, feathers and all. The original plan was to go to Fuddrucker's and have supper and then enjoy the rest of the night. Gary wasn't as hungry as I was (Jaws couldn't have been that hungry), so we decided to do supper on the takeaway plan. We would buy it at Fuddrucker's and take it back to the flat for me to eat straightaway and Gary to warm his up later.

The dipsticks at Fuddrucker's put cheese on his chopped steak when I distinctly heard him order it without the cheese. To their credit, they offered to rectify it. Gary said he would just scrape it off when he got back to the flat. If this were McDonald's or Burger King, they wouldn't have cared that it was their mistake. On taking all I got back to the flat, I realised I was only 2/3 as hungry as I thought. I put the rest in the refrigerator where I would get at it later if I was hungry. I had the 1 pound (450 g.) hamburger with nothing on it- just meat and bun. Then I went over to the toppings bar and loaded it down with tomatoes and pickles, such that I almost couldn't shut the lid on the takeaway box. I also had small onion rings and Cheerwine to drink. Before any of y'all think I got a snootful, Cheerwine is a cherry-flavoured soft drink unique to part of the southeastern United States. Gary had the chopped steak with chips and coleslaw.

Best Cafe Around

by rainravenn about Baby Moon Cafe

This place has a down to earth hippie sort of feel. They have the best gourmet pizza's, gourmet salads, and sandwiches to die for. The staff is really helpful and friendly. They have a wine, beer, and liquor selection if that is what suits you. They can be pretty busy between 11:30AM-1PM so make sure you check them out at a later time if you don't feel like waiting 10min for a table. It's definitely worth every penny. The BBQ chicken pizza is a good option but everything on the menu is great.

Museum Park (NCMA)

by gordonilla

After visiting NCMA, I took a walk around the grounds of the Museum. It was hot and humid, but I really enjoyed the trails that I walked along. The humidity of the woodland trails was excellent, and well worth the effort involved.

There were a range of pieces of artwork throughout the park.

city market

by doug48

city market is located on moore square in downtown raleigh. city market was founded in 1914. today city market is a collection of art galleries, shops, and restaurants. a interesting place to visit for those interested in architecture, dining, and shopping.

Comments