Homestead Raleigh-North

Extended Stay America - Raleigh - North - Wake Forest Road
Ext. Stay America Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Raleigh

Seen from the streetSeen from the street

Interior 1Interior 1

A standard flight of beers (excuse the spill)A standard flight of beers (excuse the spill)

Ryan Johnson  SEBRA Bull Rider - Carrie LeonardRyan Johnson SEBRA Bull Rider - Carrie Leonard

Vacation suggestions Raleigh

by debra_lea

My husband, one year old son and I are vacationing in Raleigh the week after memorial day. We are also scoping out the area for a possible relocation from Ventura California. I am ready to pack my bags, but my husband is going to need a little convincing. He has had little exposure to the southeast and is afraid that he will have to become a NASCAR/beer drinking/red neck:-)

Please offer advice on things to do. We will be staying at a b&b in downtown Raleigh. I would love suggestions for places to eat and things to do. We would prefer the "undiscovered" affordable eatries that would be suitable for a family. They don't have to be fancy, but we like good tasting. We are more into healthy multicultural foods.

As for places to see...I'm looking for places that show the cultural of the city.

Thanks in advance,
Debra

by xscorcho

North Carolina is one of the most educated states.. I am not sure why your husband thinks that you will become a beer drinking redneck!! I have visited there before and plan to live there someday.. I love Raleigh and Durham! Sorry though, cant answer your question about where specifically you should go. Hope you can get him to change his mind about the city!

by justforyou

Hello. I stumbled across this and as a resident of Raleigh I decided that I had to join so I could post. Mo's Diner is my absolute favorite restaurant. Don't be confused by the name, it is not a diner. It is a nice but simple fancy restaurant that is in an old house. The food is wonderful. 306 E Hargett St
Raleigh, NC 27601 is the address. 518 West is also a good italian restaurant, not quite as expencive but not cheap. They have great pasta dishes. I am unsure of their address, but it is located on Gleenwood Ave. Sullivan's Steakhouse is very good. The best place to go for a steak. It can be intimidating however, if you are not used to this atmosphere. It is pricey. Ok, sorry to take all the time with the expencive options. But if you are a bbq fan I suggest a trip to Chapel Hill to visit the Barbecue Joint. It is delicious, it is NOT your traditional barbecue place. Its like barbecue meets gourmet food with a southern comfort atmosphere and reasonable prices. Now i have never been but all my friends love shabashabu. It is thai cusine and relatively upscale but very good from what i hear. I would also suggest Solomon's, a very good mediterranian restaurant with reasonable prices, especially at lunch time. I hope i have been helpful

by adagio99x

I suggest your husband bites the bullet...and becomes a beer-swilling, NASCAR-loving red neck....just like my dear brother (who relocated there). This is why I am proposing to visit him in Raleigh at the end of the month! He's a man after my own heart....Oh yes and the food. You'll love the healthy, multicultural foods....deep-fried chicken, biscuits and chitlins with extra portions of fries. Also, if you haven't started already, it's a good opportunity to take up smoking. I'm led to believe the tobacco is cheap and subsidized!
By the way...before I get some beer-swilling, tobacco-chewing red-neck inviting me to the next NASCAR meet...or some paragon of virtue berating me for encouraging every vice known... the above was irony and was meant humourously...:-)
When my dear brother relocated there with his family for work a few years back I remember him describing his first days in the office. He complained he didn't understand a word anybody said to him for the first two weeks. He described it as "like being in a room full of Elvises!"
Now I don't understand a word HE says.....as long as he keeps feeding me beer and cigarettes, who cares!
Enjoy your vacation Debra....it'll be my turn at the end of the month!

RE: RE: Vacation suggestions Raleigh

by adagio99x

Suddenly realised I am responding to questions posed several months ago....duh!!

Travel Tips for Raleigh

Great stuff.

by badplayer

Great things.

47 St. Oyster Bar. Great food. The restaurant is a local icon. I believe it has been around since the 30's. I have always gotten great service and food there. Definitely go.

518 West - Italian restaurant. 'Nuff said.

The previously listed restaurants are a little on the pricy side so go and plan to spend some money. Believe me it is worth it. There are many other really good restaurants here so, it you like to eat, you have come to a good place to do so.

NC BBQ - If your diet allows you to eat pork. Then get some of these sandwiches. The meat is shredded and soft, and seasoned with spices and vinegar. Great Stuff. If you try it and enjoy it, then you will enter a period of your life that will be known as “ABBQ” -- After BBQ, and your memory of existing previously without BBQ will be very difficult to fathom.

Local music scene, though I personally have not witnessed, would be in my estimation be very active. This hypothesis is based on that there are a large number of college campuses in the Raleigh area, NC State, Peace, Meredith, Duke, and a couple of C. C. So, based on that, I would imagine that the music scene is fresh. To see a listing of bands that are playing pick up a copy of the local freebie, the Independent. The paper itself is full of escort ads, gay chat-lines and extremely ultra-liberal drivel but, towards the back, the numerous bands are listed in an organized manner. They are at practically every trendy coffee shop.

Lake parks. They are not commercialized and very peaceful. Fishing (get a licensed), swimming and boating are allowed. 'Nuff said.

Old houses and architecture. There is plenty of it, and there is a large historic tour of preserved houses in downtown.

People. Some of the absolutely finest people in the world live in Raleigh. If you happen to meet one of them you will definitely know.

Cafe Tiramisu

by lars_m about Cafe Tiramisu

Cafe Tiramisu specializes in Northern Italian cuisine. It is a small intimate restaurant with fine dining, but with a very relaxed atmosphere. The menu items are reasonably priced. Rumor has it that the owner of the Angus Barn has dined there. My favorite dish is Chicken Parmesan. They also have excellent Tiramisu.

Good restaurant in the Farmer's Market

by queensgirl about Raleigh Farmer's Market

It is in the Farmer's Market so everything is the freshest. The breakfast is the best. I didn't have the eggs because I hate them but my friends loved it. Grilled pork tenderloin, grits, biscuits, bacon,pancakes and waffles are good.

NC Legislative Building

by MandaJ320

This building houses the NC general assembly. You can easily go in and observe.

Also you can get a guided tour that lasts 30 minutes from the visitor's center.

Hours are 8-5 Monday through Friday, Saturdays 9-5, and Sundays 1-5.

Marching through Tobacco Road

by HasTowelWillTravel

"Crossing the Mason-Dixon"

Raleigh, the capital of North Carolina, has an enviable position, called by many outdoorsy people the 3-and-3: it is 3 hours or less from both the ocean, as well as the mountains. Not many places get to claim that. Furthermore, there are plenty of natural areas to explore as well nearby, which make it a great destination to live.

"History of the town"

Raleigh has a lot of history itself. State capitol since 1788, it has seen battles through the Civil War, and remains a thriving city center today. It lies in the tobacco road area, taking its name from the main crop of the area. Lots of interesting things to do here, always new things to explore.

"Another step along my path"

My academic path has led me almost across the country, just a few hours shy of the Atlantic coast. I have come to Raleigh to start part 1 of my PhD program, at NC State University. I'm excited to be here, the state looks to have a lot of opportunities that Illinois just can't provide. We'll see how it all works out.

you can see my full set of pictures from North Carolina on my flickr page

Comments