Fargo Inn & Suites

1025 38th Street South, I-29 & 13th Avenue SW, Fargo, North Dakota, 58103, United States
Fargo Inn & Suites
Enter dates for best prices
Compare best prices from top travel partners
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com


Satisfaction Excellent
Very Good


Value Score No Data

Show Prices

Good For Solo
  • Families70
  • Couples56
  • Solo80
  • Business66

More about Select Inn Fargo

Substandard in Dickinson

by Basaic about Select Inn

The Super 8 had no rooms available so I went down the road to the Select Inn. Bad choice. The lady behind the counter was rude, the room had no extras at all, and the coffee the next morning was bad, too. Not recommended, try someplace else.

USA 2000: ND, MN, Washington DC

by JosM

"Devils Lake, ND, July 19-21"


After checking in at Brussels National Airport with United Airlines we had our last Belgian beer. We boarded at the last minute. After a nice flight we arrived in Washington. In Dulles International Airport smokers must sit together in a to small glass cage with insufficient air conditioning, straight across a bar (smoking not allowed, just as everywhere else in the airport). We saw people smoking a cigarette in the smokers cage, go to the bar for a beer (alcoholic beverages are not allowed outside the bar area), go to the cage to smoke, go back to the bar for a drink, and so on...
This time we were well in time to check in. After boarding we waited more than 20 min before leaving for Chicago.
When leaving the plane Lea and Arianne had heard that we might not have our connection for Minneapolis. At the information boards everything became clear: our flight was cancelled, but we also saw that an earlier flight to Minneapolis was “boarding”. We ran as fast as possible to the check-in (from gate 42 to gate 8, at least half a mile). We arrived just in time and there were sufficiently free seats, but our luggage would probably be on the next flight. After a short (± 1 h) flight we arrived in Minneapolis and, surprise, 4 out of 5 suitcases were on our flight. The other one (with clothes for Arianne and Karen) would be (and were) brought to our hotel. During registration Connie called us: if we did arrive well and that we would meet the next morning around 8 h


We had an English style breakfast (pancakes and eggs with syrup) in the hotel. At 8.30 h we met Connie during breakfast and somewhat past 9 we left for Devils Lake (I sat in Connie’s car to allow the children to sleep a little). After some 100 mi we said goodbye to Connie (she stayed on the highway to Fargo) while we headed north for Lake Itasca en Bemidji along highway 71 to visit the sources of the Mississippi. The vegetation changed from deciduous forests in the south to evergreen conifer woods and even tundra-like vegetation in the north. We crossed hundreds of lakes and ponds and drove through picturesque villages and passed dozens of golf terrains. At noon we stopped at a MacDonald’s. We missed the junction to Lake Itasca and thus we did not see the sources of the Mississippi. We also made a stop at a “native American shop” where mostly Minnesotan and Indian gifts and presents were sold. From Bemidji we drove westward to Grand Forks.
A new change of landscape: we first came in agricultural land and later in mixed agricultural/grassland.
In Devils Lake we first drove to Carroll’s place and we were welcomed very heartedly. We found her house easily, although the environment had changed thoroughly: in 1995 there were only some 3 more houses, while today it almost has become a villa park: houses that used to be near the lake had to be moved since then because of the rising water level. Wim, Lea, Karen en Arianne could stay with Carroll, while I should stay at Bill and Mavis’s. After unloading we drove to Charles’ place. A new cordial reception and a fine dinner had been prepared for us. We had some drinks afterwards and renewed our acquaintances with Charles’ children and brothers and sisters (-in-law).
Later at Bill and Mavis’s (after unpacking) we drunk a few more beers in the garage and told about our 1995 memories. Matthew, Keli, Karen and Arianne immediately became friends.


With Craig (Charles’ son) as our guide we visited Fort Totten. We crossed the Indian reservation (much misery: damaged houses, although they were not older than 5 years, as Craig told us). We drove on roads that were leveled already for the 3rd time since the lake started rising. We visited the casino, which has a beautiful architecture. We drove through Sully’s Hill nature reserve and saw our first free roaming bison, but also deer, wild turkeys and prairie dogs (rodents that live in colonies and make a kind of chirping noise, like young chickens). Charles and Craig were excellent guides.
Wim, Lea, Arianne, Karen and I had dinner in the Old Main Street Cafe.

"Devils Lake, July 21-22"

Around 3 pm we drove to the ice hockey rink in Roosevelt Park to register for the 2000 family reunion.
At the time of our arrival only a limited number of people were in the hall. But soon the one after the other arrived. Everybody was telling and asking the others how they were and how the journey so far had been. At the check in we bought a Family Cook Book and some lottery tickets for a beautiful big Santa Claus. Our caps and T-shirts were for free. After supper (hot meat with cold side dishes, very nice) we stayed in the hall talking and drinking (Bud light? In Belgium we use it for fattening pigs :-))
Afterwards at Bill and Mavis’s there was a bonfire and they roasted sugar sweets (with chocolate between two cakes it’s called smores) and to end we had a last drink in the garage.

Saturday 22.7.00

Got up and had a coffee at 7. Bill had brought the quads (four wheel motorbikes) outside and we left around 8 for a trip in the country. Across dusty rural roads and mowed grassland, along ponds and lakes we drove to the north (± 40 mph). After an hour or so, “in the middle of nowhere”, Bill said: “All the land we crossed and all the land that we can see around us belongs to the “Mertens farm” (7000 acres or ± 3500 ha), 2000 acres more than in 1995! Then we drove (a little) adventurous when climbing some sandy hills, across high grasses and weeds. We returned by other roads and fields, but we always enjoyed the peace of the wide rolling landscape, with only from time to time a barn or a farm at the horizon. If possible we drove along each other (because of the dust). I felt sorry for having forgotten to wear my sunglasses to be less troubled by insects and dust in my eyes. Around 10 we were back home.
We left to do some shopping while Wim and his folks had had breakfast in the sports hall. We had a bread lunch in the sports hall and later we drove to the lake to do some water sports. A speedboat and several jet skis were available for anyone who wanted to make use of them. The beech water was lukewarm, but green and slimy because of the green algae.
Captain Bill, his 3 grandchildren, Freya and her Italian friend Kelly and Katty (daughter of Yvette) took me for a trip on the lake in the speedboat.
He showed us how the lake had risen since 1995 (more than 10 meter, with as a result that the water had gained between 100 en 300 meter on the land). Where there used to be beach or land, the water is several meters deep. We navigated up to the farm that nowadays is protected by a dam, without which the whole city of Devils Lake would drown (people have to get used to a typical “Dutch” feeling: the water has risen atop of their heads). Later on I sat a few times on a jet ski (a few times full speed and a few times trying to make some fast turns); Wim and Arianne did about the same, while Lea and Karen sat at the back of the Jet Ski, which was navigated by an experienced navigator.
Later I sat in the shadow and socialized with Don Holler and his folks. Don is retired and is proud about is small zoo with several breeds of donkeys, lama’s, turkeys, chicken, rabbits and other kinds of small rodents. Around 5 we returned home for a shower and dressed for the evening dance.
First we had supper (meat fondue: up to 14 steaks on a fork) heated in large kettle of boiling oil. Later John and Bernice (married for 50 years) and Ernie (90 years old) were celebrated. [Ernie said that he never before had tasted Belgian beer and was delighted with the bottle Corsendonck Pater] Then the DJ opened the evening animation. There was karaoke (some even really could sing) interrupted by trivia (questions about the family to be solved by the children). Later the dance party started and lasted until after midnight.

"Devils Lake - Belfield, July 23-24"

Sunday 23.7.00

After breakfast we all attended the Holy Mass at 9.
It was a classical mass like in the late and 60’s and 70’s in Flanders: in the native language, but with a lot of kneeling and standing upright and collecting money for young Christians and for a journey to Rome during the Holy Year. After mass we drove to the ice hockey rink for the brunch.
Around 1 o’clock family pictures were taken -Wim & co were missing because they had gone shopping- We went to the lake again and Don Holler’s son let us taste some home maid buffalo slices (delicious!).
The weather was continuously excellent (90°F or 30°C and more; happily slightly cooler near the lake). Around 4 back to the hall to eat the leftovers. Later we all said goodbye. All Belgians received a beautiful tapestry themed Devils Lake. The children each received a beautiful towel. Jim had something extra for Karen en Arianne. Then there was a lottery for the cooking book prizes and for the Santa Claus.
Dennis gave us a guided tour in and around the Mertens farm, which was very impressive.
We drove home again and gave Carroll and Mavis flowers (which had been bought in the afternoon). Carroll gave us a wind-bell and a crocheted cloth (from her mother). Then we drove to Jim’s place (which was not easy to find) to say goodbye. Together with Jim we went looking for deer in the falling darkness.
Jim’s house is now very close to the lake and his former access road is covered with several yards of water. He had to construct a new road at his own expense. Kelly (12) had saved some fireworks from the 4th of July and she and Jim fired it while we were watching from the balcony terrace. After the fireworks we drove straight to Carroll and Bill & Mavis. Mavis en Bill had gone to bed already and so did I.. Wim, Lea and Carroll didn’t go to bed until past 2.
Once back in the hotel, I finally could start writing my travel journal. Later (around 1 h) I went outside to smoke a cigarette and have one more drink. Alas the lounge was closed already. I went to the gas station at the other side of the street to buy a couple of beers, but alas again: it is forbidden to sell alcohol past 12.30. I went back to the motel and remained outside for a second cigarette, until suddenly a police car arrived and the policeman asked me what I was doing out there (obviously everybody who is out past midnight is suspect). The policeman however was kind and we talked for almost half an hour about the States and about Europe (he had German ancestors) until it really was time to go to bed.

Monday 24.7.00

Up at 7 h and said goodbye to Bill & Mavis and Carroll. We left for Bismarck with Charles and Janet. Along Fort Totten and the Indian reservation southward past a marvelous hilly landscape, covered with grasses, grains and sunflowers (one week to early to see these flowering). In Washburn we visited the Lewis & Clark Interpretive center (a museum), which remembers the journey from Lewis and Clark who had to find a connection over land with the Pacific Ocean. A great deal of attention is given to the history of the Mandan and to Sakakawea, the Indian woman who guided them across Indian territory (the Dakota’s, Montana and Oregon). She was also their interpreter in their contacts with Native Americans.
Around noon we arrived in Bismarck and had dinner in Space Aliens, a futuristic looking restaurant that is especially attractive for children; the food was nice (as appetizer we ate a fried onion) and we all ate a pizza for main dish. After dinner we drove to Charles’ apartment and rested for about an hour and called home.
Then we left for Medora. Across sunny grasslands we drove westward. According to Charles these marvelous green pastures are normally completely browned by this time of the year, but because of the rains during the weeks before our arrival they had kept their green color and a wealth of wild flowers. Slowly we were nearing the Badlands: a heavily eroded hilly landscape. In Belfield we checked in the Trapper’s Inn Motel, a cheap but comfortable motel.

"Belfield, July 24-25"

After showering we left for Medora. We drove through the main street of Medora and ate a snack before heading to the musical area. Near the entrance was a talking doll with which Karen had a nice talk. It was a professional spectacle (as all manifestations preceded by the singing of the American National hymn) with singing and dancing, but also with an acrobat and a ventriloquist who were outstanding. Even the mountains in the background were part of the scene: a horseman rode downward in the dark (he was illuminated by a spotlight). Horsemen performed other characters and a mail-coach was used for transport, all right on stage.
Once back in the hotel, I finally could start writing my travel journal. Later (around 1 h) I went outside to smoke a cigarette and have one more drink. Alas the lounge was closed already. I went to the gas station at the other side of the street to buy a couple of beers, but alas again: it is forbidden to sell alcohol past 12.30. I went back to the motel and remained outside for a second cigarette, until suddenly a police car arrived and the policeman asked me what I was doing out there (obviously everybody who is out past midnight is suspect). The policeman however was kind and we talked for almost half an hour about the States and about Europe (he had German ancestors) until it really was time to go to bed.

Tuesday 25.7.00

After breakfast in Trapper’s Kettle Restaurants we left to visit the North Unit of Roosevelt National Park. On the way we already could enjoy the beautiful landscapes at the border of the Badlands. Across wild nature, formed by erosion, we drove by car across the smooth asphalted “scenic drive”. At the visitor center I bought a road log for the park: very useful and informative.
The southern slopes suffer a lot from summer sunshine and are a lot warmer than the northern slopes. On the southern slopes grow cactuses and yuccas, while the northern ones are covered with a dense tree and bush vegetation. On the road we saw the so-called cannon balls: with rainwater-leached minerals that have fused the sand grains and formed stones that are much more erosion resistant than the surrounding sand and clay layers. From River bend Overlook we saw the Little Missouri graciously enter the valley. On both sides we could see forested areas. The road rises up to about 800 m (2500 ft) and on the way we saw two herds of buffalo. The road stops at Oxbow Overlook, from where we had a view on 2 meanders that almost come together and where will be formed a closed river branch within a few dozen years. We returned across the same road. Back at the visitor center the children were sworn junior-ranger because they had filled in a questionnaire and answered some questions from a ranger and they each earned a badge.
It was already around 3 and we left for Medora and South Unit. In Medora we visited some souvenir shops and the Museum of the Badlands (here too a lot of Indian artifacts, but also a lot about the animals in the Badlands). Around 19 h we began our visit to the South Unit. Our first stop was at a very large prairie dog town. A few miles further we stopped for a short walk (about 1 km). At sunset the park is much less crowded and during our walk we saw several roes that were eating. Because we kept as quiet as possible, they didn’t flee into the woods.
At the peak we stopped one last time and climbed the last 100 m to the top of the mountain. From up here we had a nice view on the mountains and valleys around us. We met a Dutch couple that were tracing wolves (they did follow a holiday course on wolves in Minnesota) and saw a herd of grazing horses. When we drove on it was getting darker, but along the road we saw roes and ponies several times.
We returned to the hotel and had supper in the Trapper’s Kettle around 10. When we went to the lounge (the children were already in bed) for a drink, the same policeman entered the bar and greeted me with a jovial “Hi, George”. Wim and I drank 3 beers each, Lea 2, and thanks to Charles’s tickets for free drinks we only had to pay 6 dollar.

"Belfield - Bismarck, July 26th"

Wednesday 26.7.00

After breakfast we followed highway 85 to the crossroad to Killdeer. We crossed the National grasslands of western North Dakota. We enjoyed the wide-open landscapes in front and around us: as far as we could see green meadows and prairies with in the valleys here and there idyllic lakes. We left highway 200 to visit Killdeer historic battlefield. We crossed the border of the Diamond C Ranch and arrived at the “battlefield”. There was hardly anything to see (except a commemorative stone and 2 gravestones) and we returned disappointed to the main road. We followed highway 200 and stopped a little bit further to buy drinks and food and we ate a delicious ice cream. We kept driving in the grasslands for quiet a wile (the girls were bored, but I enjoyed the beautiful scenery). We took the road to Beulah and saw a giant digging machine that is used for surface coal mining. After a stop in Beulah we took the direction of Knife River Indian Village (named this way because the Mandan found here suitable stones to produce knives and arrow points). We were guided (free) by a job student from Vermont (very interesting) and visited a completely furnished Mandan Earth lodge.
We ate our lunch at a picnic table outside.
Just before we reached Washburn we took the direction of Fort Mandan. Instead of visiting the fort first, we followed the signs to the Historic Site. We followed a dusty rural road for miles to finally arrive at a memorial sign, which read that the original Fort Mandan was situated a few miles further. We took the same road back (we even were held a few minutes because a farmer was loading hay bales) and drove to Fort Mandan (reconstruction).
The fort was a triangle with dormitories, a (empty) storeroom and a (also empty) kitchen. The mosquitoes were very aggressive in the hot afternoon sun! We followed a beautiful scenic road along the Missouri in the direction of Bismarck. Charles had made a reservation for a single room for me in the Select Inn, while Wim’s family could stay with him and Janet. We ate supper (delicious) at Charles’s and went to bed fairly early.

"Bismarck - St-Paul, July 27-28"

Thursday 27.7.00

After breakfast we first visited Fort Lincoln (well worth the visit).
The watchtowers have been reconstructed and the foundations of the other buildings have been preserved (after the military left the fort, pioneers used the construction materials for their own houses). We also visited the Custer house escorted by a guide (also a job student) in 19th century clothes. She told her story as if she belonged to Mrs. Custer’s staff and this really made her story vivid and entertaining.
The house is also a reconstruction, but a lot of the furniture inside really belonged to the Custer family. At the fort’s territory there is also On-a-Slant Indian village, a number of Mandan “earth lodges” (wooden constructions covered with soil and grass sods). Several lodges have been reconstructed, 1 furnished with Indian goods. These housed were summer residencies for the Mandan and stood about 10 years.
They were inherited from mother to daughter. It took some 2 months to reconstruct one lodge with modern technology, while the Mandan (mainly women) did it in 10 days. The winter lodges were much more primitive and were constructed close to the Missouri (drinking water), but were destroyed by the melting water during springtime.
Then we went to the State Capitol (the skyscraper on the prairie) and visited the houses of parliament and senate and watched portraits of famous North Dakotans (sportsmen, singers and movie stars, politicians).
We also visited the North Dakota Heritage Center. There was an exhibition about the history of North Dakota from prehistory until today. Near the entrance a complete skeleton of a Mosasaurus caught my attention immediately. The time of the pioneers was well documented and a lot of attention was given to Native American culture. Late in the afternoon we visited the local zoo (no (sub-) tropical catlike animals, but a large collection of native animals (i.e. bears).
After supper (in a all-you-can-eat restaurant) we made a boat trip on the Missouri with the Lewis & Clark River Boat (a reconstructed paddleboat), price about 80 $ for all of us. I enjoyed the Missouri trip very much (a kind of youth dream from the books about Huckleberry Finn).
The same evening we said goodbye to Charles because he planned to get up at 5 to go to work.

Friday 28.7.00

After breakfast we said goodbye to Janet, picked up my luggage in the Select Inn and left along Interstate 94 for St. Paul. We halted in Jamestown and visited Frontier Village where specimens of all kinds of official and commercial houses have been collected. We also visited the (small) Bison museum and saw (from a distance) the very rare white buffalo.
The white bison (albino) was considered a holy animal for the Indian peoples. Half the way between Jamestown and Valley City we took the direction of Fort Ransom. This scenic byroad partly follows the Sheyenne River and led us through the marvelous, almost deserted landscapes of Fort Ransom State Park. The Fort was disappointing, but as a camping lot it certainly is worth the trip; there are also canoes for rent and there are large pick nick areas.
Over Lisbon and McLeod via highways 27, 18, 13 and 210 we drove in the direction of Wahpeton and Fergus Falls. In Fergus Falls we took Interstate 94 for St. Paul. Around 18 h (Wim had speeded up) we arrived at Connie’s.
I got Connie’s sleeping room (as she said for my luggage to be no hindrance in the living room), while she would sleep on the couch. After having carried my luggage upstairs and had a beer we drove to Craig and Kristen for supper.

"St-Paul - Washington DC, July 29-30"

Saturday 29.7.00

Wim and Lea went together with Craig and Kristen and the kids to the Mall of America (largest super market of the US with 400 shops, 4 warehouses, a theme park and an aquarium) and to Camp Snoopy.
While Connie was to the hospital for her anti-allergy shots I made a walk on Summit Avenue (i.e. along the Governor’s mansion) and back via Grand Avenue. On Grand Avenue were Blooming Day sales with all kinds of stands and tents on the pavements and parking lots along the street. Cozy, but I lacked the time to nose about because I did not want Connie to wait for me. Then Connie and I crossed the city by car and visited her work place. From here we drove along the State Capitol, St. Paul’s Cathedral and the harbor along the Mississippi. At noon we ate a snack in the No Wake Cafe, a riverboat that nowadays is used as restaurant. After eating Connie left me at the James J. Hill house. I attended a guided visit to the enormous house of the railroad tycoon (founder of the Great Northern Railroad) - marvelous, big, all comfort available at the time (central heating, electricity) - it’s a pity that there are no more articles of use on display, only the larger pieces of furniture (inclusive an imposing organ on which an organist played a popular tune) were still present.
In the organ room the original paintings have been replaced by paintings from local artists with as main theme “Minnesota, landscape and history”. Then I visited the cathedral (impressive 19th -century neoclassicist building with beautiful glass windows) and then I walked along Summit Avenue (the most beautiful street of St. Paul, with beautiful large civil houses, i.e. one of the houses in which Scott Fitzgerald once lived).
Summit Avenue has been neglected for some time but has almost completely been restored. I rested a few minutes in a small park with a statue of a running Indian with his dog and enjoyed sitting in the shade of a few trees. I arrived at Connie’s around 5 for an aperitif (beer offered by the landlord) and for supper. After a short break the children left to go swimming, while the adults drove to the center of the city. We walked along hundreds of old-timers (pre-1965 cars) that were shown on the street. We made a last stop at the terrace of Greatwaters Brewing Co. for a drink -the Belgians ordered a “sample plate” with 8 home brewed beers in small glasses. Three beers (Saint Peter Pale Ale, Golden Prairie Blond en Summer Solstice, a wheat beer) were our taste, but we liked the 5 English style beers less, probably because they were served at room temperature and without addition of CO2.

Sunday 30.7.00

Up at 5.30 h, showered, drank some coffee and on the road to the airport. Our flight, scheduled for 8.30 h, was postponed until 10.30 h. We could arrange to be on the flight at 9.00 h to Chicago with Northwest, but in Chicago we ought to split in groups of 3 (flight to Washington at 12 h) and 2 (flight to Washington at 13 h). In Chicago we all ran to the gate for the originally planned flight and indeed: all of us got on board. Because the crew lacked 1 member the plane waited until 12 h (instead of 11 h) before we could leave. As a meal we received a snack instead of the planned warm dish. As compensation we received a gift coupon of 25 $ for a future flight with United Airlines. We arrived at Washington Dulles around 14 h, but our luggage was not on the same plane. We had to wait until about 17 h before our luggage finally arrived. We took a Blue Van to the hotel (60 $). After a short rest we went into town in the direction of the White House. We ate our evening meal in a MacDonald’s.
After having seen the White House by night we returned to the hotel and went to bed. Flight and luggage problems had made that we had lost almost half a day. Nice start to visit the humid and hot capital.

"Washington DC, July 31st"

Monday 31.7.00

Got up with a sore throat and took 2 aspirins. Swallowing was difficult and thus I did not have breakfast. Around ten we left to take the metro (a 10 minute walk) for Arlington cemetery. We had bought a day pass for the price of 5 dollar. It was oppressive when we left the metro at Arlington. We went into the visitor’s center for a map of the cemetery and then we began our visit. We climbed the hill puffing and took the direction of the graves of the Kennedy’s. We said a short prayer at John and Robert Kennedy’s graves and climbed further up the hill until we reached a pavilion. Because of the heat we did not make the long walk around the cemetery and we went downhill again.
We visited the Women veterans’ memorial (beautiful building) and we found a breath of air in the air-conditioned building. Inside there were “magical” paintings: coming from the left one always saw the American flag that changed into a city view (always different), landscape or portrait on coming nearer and passing. Coming from the other side the paintings changed from landscape into the American flag. After the visit to Arlington we took the metro to the Pentagon. We arrived a few minutes to late for a guided tour: the maximum number of attendants had been reached and we decided, not without having taken a picture, to take the metro for the Smithsonian museums. In the National air and space museum we first went to the restaurant. Lea gave me a few more pills for my sore throat. Everything what concerns aviation and aeronautics is displayed in different thematic departments: aerodynamics, aviation pioneers, propulsion systems, Apollo, solar system, GPS and name it. It attracted my attention how small the first airplanes were: difficult to believe that e.g. Charles Lindbergh with his the Spirit of St. Louis succeeded to cross the Atlantic Ocean. After closing time we drank a beer at a souvenir shop on the Mall and we drank it within the roped area, because it is forbidden to drink alcoholic beverages in public.
We walked across the Mall until we reached the Capitol and the Library of Congress. Alas all official buildings close at 5. We drove back to the hotel to wash and dress for supper. It was past 8 when we were ready to go to the Hard Rock Café. On the way to the metro it started raining. When we left the metro (max. 15 min. later) it had stopped raining. In the Hard Rock Café, after supper, we bought a couple of souvenirs.

"Washington DC - Brussels, August 1st"

Tuesday 1.8.00

I still had a sore throat but fewer problems to swallow. After having packed our luggage and carried the suitcases downstairs I again ordered a Blue Van (which was cancelled again by the luggage man: he would bring us to the airport with a taxi for only 50 dollar instead of 60). We walked up to the White House. Here too we were to late for a visitor’s ticket. After having taken a picture of the White House by day we walked to the Mall and visited the National Museum of Natural History. The history of earth (geological) and of life is very well documented: many skeletons of dinosaurs and fossils are displayed. One also gets a good view on the evolution of life and of today’s different ecosystems. The department of mineralogy is a must and elderly people especially enjoy the department where the Hope diamond is displayed. We had dinner in the same Smithsonian restaurant as the day before and returned to the hotel. While Wim and I went to a money machine to collect cash for the cab our luggage had already been stabbed into the trunk of the car (not a taxi, but a private car). After a 45-minute trip we arrived at Dulles national airport.
At the check-in was a long line of people before us, but the line was rapidly growing to be doubled within half an hour. The row extended almost to the entrance of the airport. We checked in without problems and went to the tax-free to buy some cigarettes for Wim and then we went to the gate to go on board. After supper the evening came much faster than usual (we fled towards the darkness) and we tried to get some sleep. Back in Zaventem (around seven, Wednesday 2.8.00) we called car center Hein to take us home. Two Stellas later we already were on our way home, talking mostly about the disaster of the Concorde near Paris. Except for a few delays and problems with our luggage we only had nice and safe flights.


Select InnSelect Inn

A Place for MotorcyclistA Place for Motorcyclist

River Front area on Moorhead sideRiver Front area on Moorhead side

Go Karting at Thunder RoadGo Karting at Thunder Road

Travel Tips for Fargo

Boring, Rude and Racist

by midwesterner19

"Fargo: Racist and Boring"

I hate Fargo. The people are cold and the town is filthy. People in North Dakota are cold, because of the fact they are stuck inside in -40 degree weather half-the-year. Fargo has some minimum wage jobs and thats about it. Fargo has the worst downtown and the rudest people I have ever seen. On the other hand, the college students are all tall, thin, blonde and beautiful. However, these same college students are stupid as hell. If you come to Fargo, stare at the beautiful people. I just love seeing the Abercrombie and Finch college students who grew up on a farm trying to act all urban, this is Fargo LOL

Along the Banks of the Mighty Red River

by riorich55

"Be Careful That The River Don't Rise"

The Red River splits the towns of Fargo, North Dakota and Moorhead, Minnesota in 2. Both downtowns of Fargo and Moorhead lie on either side of the river. North Dakota to the west and Minnesota to the east. 2 years ago they had a rather devastating flood which was caused by the combination of the wet spring weather and the winter thaw.

Pictured is a river gauge, so you can see how potentially high it could get. They were still working on some of the roads next to and around the Red River when I visited in September 2010.

The Red River is one of the few rivers in the Northern Hemisphere which flows north instead of south. The river empties itself into Lake Winnipeg in Canada.

"Trains Also Pass Through"

Although not a major thoroughfare for commercial passenger train traffic (the train from Chicago to Seattle passes through here about 3:30 a.m. in the morning), there nonetheless is much train traffic carrying tons and tons of coal from the northwest coal fields. These trains obviously serve a vital cog in keeping areas like this and other warm in the winter.

More To Come


Popular Hotels in Fargo

Hilton Garden Inn Fargo

1 Review

4351 17th Ave S, Fargo

Show Prices

Hotel Donaldson

2 Reviews

101 Broadway, Fargo

Show Prices

Sleep Inn Fargo

1 Review

1921 44th Street S.W., Fargo

Show Prices

Ramada Plaza Suites & Conference Center

2 Reviews

1635 42nd Street SW, I-29 & I-94, Fargo

Show Prices

View all Fargo hotels

View all Fargo hotels

Latest Fargo hotel reviews

Ramada Plaza Suites & Conference Center
422 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 2, 2014
Hotel Donaldson
104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 6, 2014
Candlewood Suites Fargo
46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2014
Radisson Hotel Fargo
154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 23, 2014
Sleep Inn Fargo
62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 30, 2014
Holiday Inn Fargo
172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 30, 2014
Grand Inn Fargo
48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 29, 2014
Hilton Garden Inn Fargo
303 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 7, 2014

 Fargo Inn & Suites

We've found that other people looking for this hotel also know it by these names:

Select Hotel Fargo
Select Inn Fargo Hotel Fargo

Address: 1025 38th Street South, I-29 & 13th Avenue SW, Fargo, North Dakota, 58103, United States