99 Rothrock Road, (formerly Red Roof Inn), Akron, Ohio, 44321, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

More about Akron

Makes me wanna shop, shop, shop!Makes me wanna shop, shop, shop!

Travel Tips for Akron

On this adventure, some of my...

by 1sassyfemme

On this adventure, some of my friends and I drove up to the Akron area for The Gratefulfest featuring Dark Star Orchestra, David Gans, and a few other bands. Nelson's Ledges Park is one of the coolest places I've ever seen a band play! What makes this rock quarry turned park famous in the area are the cliffs overlooking a beautiful lake which is a haunting blue-green color. All guest are invited to dive off of the appointed cliffs which vary in height from 10 feet to 30 feet. There is even a small 'beach' where you can sit and watch the sun rise or set(I highly recomend this!)
The campgrounds are great! All of the campsites are off of these little trails; it's and adventure just getting from one friends campsite to another! I'm VERY serious...make sure you have a(working)flashlight once the sun goes down. We had to break out the first-aid kit twice in one night because a friend of mine tripped over a mini boulder!! But other than that, the camping is great. Lots of trees for shade and twigs and wood for fires. Not to promaote alcoholism; but I just have to tell you that this was where I had my first taste of moonshine! Let me tell you, no medieval monk or Dante himself could have found the words to desrice the hellfire burning away my digestive system. My tongue was numb for 4 minutes and 47 seconds(I started to time it because I was starting to worry and this time may not be acurate for after the first drink, I spent a least one minute trying to regain composure).
Now for the concert part! IT WAS GREAT! The acoustics here are fantastic!! We were camped near the back of the park and we could hear the band cleary when they started. I had such a great time at this show(but I always have fun at DSO shows)! For any of you out there that follow(ed) the Dead and/or Dark Star Orchestra, DSO performed the 5/20 and 5/21 1992 shows. I was SO happy to hear 'Turn on Your Lovelight' and the 'Drums'-->'Space' both nights was unbelievable!!
I guess I should get on to the information, right? Here it is!
Nelson's Ledges Park