Red Roof Akron South

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 227 reviews
Expedia.com Booking.com
unimpressedme's Profile Photo

Scary neighborhood and unsafe property!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 30, 2015

Initially the stay was okay--sorta sketchy area but well managed at first....Bob was the gm there initially and he sincerely tried to keep the hotel above water and safe. And because we are working in NE Ohio, we were hoping that we'd be able to survive the last couple weeks of july so we didnt have to move hotels--but it just because TOO unsafe at this property. Vagrants wandering the parking lot, drug arrests, drunk fights, cookouts in front of the rooms, sketchy people trolling around the buildings, groups of people tailgating in the middle of the parking lot complete with coolers and lazy drunk dudes standing up to pee right out in the open (seriously, they couldnt even take the time to walk to their room to use the facilities. We actually had a group of people staying there on our last night at the hotel---like 7 of them in one room--who - ACTUALLY KNOCKED ON OUR DOOR ASKING US IF WE HAD WEED AT 3AM!!! These people werent even staying on our floor and I had never seen them before in my life- but because our light was on I guess they'd try and score some wacky tobaccy? I felt like I tripped and fell into an much less funny akron version of that 70's show. . Its sad really, the rooms are small but newer, beds are good too....which is great cause you really don't want to leave your room after dark in my opinion. Also, the internet is poor--constantly going down for hours on end and the satellite television goes out every time it rains.

The staff, well most of the staff--namely Star, Bobby, Zac, Rick (maintenance), and Jen and Lorraine in housekeeping were amazing--because of the repartee I had with those individuals--i felt safer knowing that my concerns for safety would be handled, which is why we stayed as long as we did. Sadly, sigh...that all changed mid July 2015 when a new gm, Ashley whatever took over the property. Here it sits on the infamous Arlington Road Its NOT a good area. Never has been. Ashley is very concerned with where and what flowers to plant in the beds outside--but not as concerned with the problems I mentioned earlier, or when her other employee, Michelle was screaming at and waving her arms around at guests when they (well me) complain for the 412th time that the internet isnt working--while I was in the office WAITING TO PAY FOR MY ROOM THE NEXT NIGHT. Apparently, nicely asking for the 800 number to call the internet provider and joking with another employee that "um so yeah, they want their 60 dollars and regular non-crack using guests to comply with whatever constantly changing or additional rules but can't get the internet to work" , approach I used contained a secret code word which made michelle go from sorta impolite straight to rage filled red roof employee of the month. Not gonna lie, it was scary. Since there was two other employees as well as two other guests in the office at the time--I figured it would be handled by the management (maybe re-training on how to deal with the guests and not treat them like you wanna take em out into the parking lot to rumble?) Keep in mind, dear reader, I was in the office, cash in hand and had told Michelle that at least 3x while she shouted at me about complaining in front of other guests. Um...is there a "complain room" I have to go to if I need to complain? And do I go there AFTER I patiently wait to pay for my room? Just wasnt clear ;)

Anyway, I figured when I let Ashley know the ridiculous scene and about how in the same situation, Michelle had slammed the phone down on the counter in disgust because a customer called and wanted to an extend an expedia reservation and could not understand that they would have to create a new one, only to shout to the other employee to "PLEASE TAKE THIS CALL CAUSE I CANNOT DEALLLL WITH THIS WOMAN AND HER NOT NOT LISTENIN TO ME! While the line was STILL OPEN mind you. Are any of us surprised they hung up? Or when I told Ashley how when a gentlemen walked in and asked how much was the "trucker rate", Michelle glared at him and said and simply said--and I quote---"NO." The poor guy just turned around and walked out. I told her filed a complaint with corporate that morning and just wanted to explain to her what happened but she literally was trying to walk up the stairs away from me while I was talking. This was after I waited 10 minutes for her to finish a conference call. Ashley never even bothered to ask the other two employees or guests there about the incident. Oh! The two other guests by the way, came up to me outside the office that night it happened and with wild-eyed hush encouraged me to call corporate and complain because michelle was so out of line. Hopefully they will write a review as well.

We spent over 5k at this red roof location--(and I have the paperwork to back that up) in the past few months but that didnt even exempt me and my family from being treated horribly by Michelle and so very callously and carelessly by Ashley at the Arlington Red Roof. As I said, we didnt want to leave until we left ohio because its super inconvenient to do so with only 2 more weeks up here--but there was no way I was going to stay somewhere that my family felt threatened by not only the riff raff in the area--but also by an employee and General Manager. Thumbs up Michelle and Ashley for making us feel so unwelcome that we left to pay more money to a hotel further away from our work--so yay, go you! You failed spectacularly at your job in the hospitality industry!!!

I'm going to continue reviewing this location on every site I can--and i'm going to continue contacting their corporate office. Not because I want my money back or am trying to gain anything other than letting others know of this hotel. And because I'm FED up with general managers and corporations treating people as if they don't matter. They smile and nod and do absolutely nothing but hold out their hand for more money. And I'm fed up with employees like Michelle who feel that they can speak to another human being, let alone A PAYING GUEST in such an ill mannered unprofessional way.

I wasnt an irate guest who was kicked out, or couldnt pay, I didnt have complaints against me, my husband or our sons, we werent loud, dirty (and you can bet that I took pictures of the room as we left which we cleaned more than most people would) or non-complacent. I didnt ask for free nights, free dinner or a new car. All I asked was that I be treated with hospitality and respect.

I DON'T recommend going to this hotel if youre a family, or senior citizen, I DON'T recommend going to this hotel if youre a contractor that has to get up and work early in the morning, and in general, I DON'T recommend this hotel if youre quiet, clean, kind, considerate, sane, normal or expecting a quiet safe comfortable place to rest your head. If, however, you want to go somewhere to party or have a drunken spat with your spouse, or take your pig (no, I mean real one running around there at one point), or set off fireworks, or beg for change, or find a prostitute...then well you're good to go.

unimpressedme's Profile Photo
unimpressedme Jul 30, 2015 at 9:50 PM

This hotel is in such a bad area and is noisy at all hours of the night!

Nearby Red Roof Akron South

• Business Services
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

Akron Travel Forum

Need advice about Akron, Ohio? Visit the Travel Forum for Akron and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Akron hotel reviews