Canton Hotels

Our Members Say

• davecallahan profile photo davecallahan
  • Reviews: 2821

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bear Creek KOA Camping: A scary night.....

Bear Creek Camping is really in East Sparta, Ohio but so close to Canton that I figured it needs to go in this Travel Guide.

We were on a camp-Ohio trip and picked this campgrounds because it was close to Canton (our next stop to see the Football Hall of Fame).
The campground was great for tenters because there were plenty of pine trees and the pine needles make great ground cover under the tent (cushy and water repellent). The price was right in line with the other campgrounds we had stayed at in Ohio and we got a nice off-the-main-trail site that allowed us some peace and quiet.

Now some background info: on the way to this place, we had heard on the car radio that there had been Big Foot sightings in the Canton area. The kids were anxiously excited about that because they knew that was where we were going to tent for the night.
We got into the campgrounds at sunset and by the time the kids had got the tent all up and I had the campstove going for coffee and dinner (hot pocket sandwiches or something similar), it was really getting dark (no street lights, overclouded, no moon). We ate and headed for the sleeping bags. I knew that we were at a horse-riding and camping area combo but the kids did not know. So I told them (with an evil glint in my eye) that they had nothing to fear from Big Foot around here unless they heard horses whinnying, then they would know that the monster was near.
About a half-hour after everyone was settled and getting sleepy, right on cue the horses on the ranch began the quiet neighing that horses do when they are getting tired. The kids were scared silly. To this day (20 years later), they still get upset about that..... they did not get a wink of sleep all that night.

I thought the campgrounds was great but obviously my kids do not have such fond memories of the place.

quiet, woodsy, KOA.... what more do I need to say.

• Opinion of Price: about average