Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland City Centre

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 11% higher than other 3 star hotels

• HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

On the Lake

Great spot on St Clair, very close to either a Browns or Indians game. Rooms on the Lake side have a grea view of a Browns game. Great breakfast buffet on gameday, just beware the parking garage is small. The same day i checked out this hotel was purchased and it was announced it will be converted to a luxurious Westin Hotel- so good things to come

Unique Quality: Great location

Directions: On St Clair

• kehale's Profile Photo

Great Hotel in Great Location

We booked the hotel through hotwire, and it seemed to get some great reviews. We were really pleased when we arrived. Happy to find it had a covered parking garage with plenty of spots and were impressed with the interior from the moment we entered the lobby.

The staff were incredibly friendly throughout our stay, and we were always greeted whenever we ran into a staff member in the hotel.

The room was clean and large and we had a great view from the 19th floor over Lake Erie, facing Cleveland Browns Stadium and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We were in town mainly for the Hall of Fame and to take in a Red Sox and Indians game. Both the Hall of Fame and Progressive Field were walking distance from the hotel which was great!

If we were to ever go back to visit, or if we knew someone going to Cleveland, we would highly recommend this hotel!

More about Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland City Centre

So-so Place to Stay...

My boyfriend and I were staying at the Crowne Plaza for a recent Browns-Bears game. Upon our arrival (around 11pm), the desk attendance were too busy talking to wait on my and the valet was nowhere to be seen. The desk attendants were not pleasant and I seemed to cause them a hassle when I wished to check in. I requested a smoke-free room, but all of the rooms seems to have a smoke-like odor (we changed rooms several times b/c of the smell). When I got home, my clothes smelled horribly!
The bed was extremely comfortable though and the shower/bathroom was huge!
Did not seem to be a very organized hotel and was in the middle of a desolate downtown. I would not stay here agin.

Nice Weekend Getaway

My wife and young son went to Cleveland for a getaway weekend. We booked through Hotwire. We checked in at 3:00pm and the entire process took about three minutes. I requested a room on one of the renovated floors and was given a two room suite at the end of a very quiet hallway on the tenth floor. The suite was clean and very large. Parking garage is a parking garage, dark, but no worse than any other. We also had in and out privleges.

Overall, the staff was pleasant, the room was huge and clean and the king size bed is truly king size. Well worth the $48 dollars I spent on Hotwire.

Good stay at the Crowne Plaza

by TripAdvisor Member ncmichaelnc

The staff was wonderful upon my late Saturday evening check-in.(4/8/06) I was upgraded (to my pleasure) to the club level (I am a priority club member). Complimentary continential breafast was great. The room was great and the bed was superb! My only problem was the heating would not cool down. It had been in the 20's that night so nothing would really cool it down. Guest service said engineering would be right up..but never showed. I complained to the front desk manager, who apologized. I would stay again. Great rock & roll memoribilia in the lobby!

good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member plainjohn

one night stay, Easter Sunday. Checkin after 7pm and downtown looked deserted, drove around looking for parking options and did not see any. Street parking makes you move the car by 7am. Self parked and went to the front counter. A very nice person named Michelle checked me in, stating this was a pre-paid stay and assigned me a King non smoking on the higher floors. I go up to the room and slip the card key and see a green light, knob does not turn. Do this five more times and go back to the front desk. Michelle was apologetic and re assigned me a room on the ninth floor. She said this room would have a view of the lake. Up to the room and it's been remodeled, sofa, huge mirror and a CD for sleeping better and bag with mask and ear plugs. Bathroom was fine though the tub could have used a bit more scrubbing. Very nice room. Fitness center had the card key reader on the wall and not on the door which threw me off. I go to the front desk lady the next morning saying my room key does not work for the fitness center. She seemed as if I disturbed her as she was on the telephone. I go back to the fitness center and noted the reader on the wall and got inside. Machines were worn, but useable. Up to the room and find two checkout reciepts, one prepaid, one PL price plus parking (now $18 self park). I asked the same clerk which reciept is correct and she seemed more concern. Another person walked up (airline personnel) and I could tell the clerk was pressed. She tells me my balance is zero. Just checked my credit card, was charged for parking, at least not overcharged.

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member JMOOREEllsinore

Went to cleveland for two night stay with wife and two kids ( Ages 4 & 2 ). When I checked in they gave me bad key's to my room. but quickly resolved the problem by moving me to a diffrent room.
Hotel is old but not in bad shape. rooms are the same. The beds are great, the hotel was fairly quite, it was during the week.
PRO's : walking distance to Science Center, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Browns Stadium, Tower City, Jacobs Feild. If you are a priority Club member they have a special floor for breakfast and cash bar in the evening time.
CON's : $18 parking, when I parked my car I really did not feel it was safe but I checked on it every day and it was fine.
Staff at hotel was the most pleasant staff I have ever seen, Not one grumpy person in hotel. I had a great saty here and would stay again.

Steps away from everything

by TripAdvisor Member CamperJohn

Great location from a booking on Hotwire. The rooms are large and well furnished. They included a hypnotic sleeping cd to play at night, but the beds are so plush, there was no need for that. Anyway, the good is the location and rooms are nice. There is no need to drive a car if you're just staying downtown. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is right behind the hotel and Jacobs Field is a few blocks in the other direction. Nightlife is within an easy walk too. The bad is that it took over an hour to check in on a Thursday, but that's just travel. Anyway, I would recommend staying here! Go to hotwire and SAVE!

Front desk staff not very helpful!

by TripAdvisor Member Cru3rdBari

We stayed there the night of July 17th, 2006. This hotel is in a fantastic location! I booked the stay through Hotwire and got a great rate (under $70).

Upon check-in, I presented my Priority Club card. We were given cupons for local restaurants and even a buy one get one free cupon for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which we were visiting the next day. The other employee checked us in and gave us our keys. We went up to the room and found it was two double beds instead of one king, which is what we booked. I called down to the front desk and they sent the other employee up with keys to a King room. (Of course, the guy that made the mistake didn't come up!)

I realized later that afternoon that with the Priority Club, we should have at least got free drink cupons for the bar. I called down to the front desk and was informed that we should have been given keys to the Club level upon check-in. I read in other reviews of this hotel on this site that they were even upgraded to a room on the club level!

We were given keys to the Club level and went up for the happy hour. There were chips and nuts and such and two hot kinds of hors d'oeuvres. There werent many of those left and I figured they would be bringing them out soon. An hour-and-a-half later, there were still no hors d'oeuvres. The attendant said she had been trying to have food brought up for two hours.

The next morning, we went up to the Club lounge again and had a great breakfast! Eggs, bacon, cereal, fresh pastries etc. Well worth the extra effort of getting to the Club level. The attendant said that the problem last night with the food was because the phone was not working in the lounge. She informed me she was making calls in the hotel with her cell phone.

A good experience in all, but certainly not what I expected.

Not what I had expected from a Crowne Plaza

by TripAdvisor Member MJ24

I had booked this hotel through Hotwire and was quite excited about it since my stay two days prior in Cincinnati was quite nice at another hotel booked through Hotwire. So you can imagine my surprise when I encountered issue after issue at this hotel.

When we first arrived the front desk clerk was quite nice and pleasant. The location was pretty good even though it was a bit far from Jacobs Field which is why we were in Cleveland to begin with. When we took the elevator up to the 19th floor, we came out to peeling wallpaper and a funny smell. Getting off the elevator I felt like I was in a cheap motel and not the Crowne Plaza. The room didn't fare any better. The carpet was disgustingly dirty with large black spots all over. The closet door was broken and the towels in the bathroom were paper thin and falling apart (again, motel quality) The room was large and we had a king size bed which was comfortable but they only had a chair instead of a couch which made it uncomfortable to watch TV. We actually could only watch TV while laying on the bed.

The air conditioner was not that great. We had to keep changing the thermostat and yet still never got it cool enough where it was comfortable. The view out of our window was the back of a bunch of buildings which coming from New York was not the view I was hoping for. I had requested a view of the lake but obviously no one read my request and I didn't want to bother moving rooms since we where there for only two nights.

We also were in an adjoining room and could hear everything that was going on in the next room. They had a small child who was up at all hours and therefore kept me up at all hours. I actually had to come back to my room in the middle of the day when I knew they were gone so I could take a nap.

We didn't eat at the restaurant nor use the fitness center so I couldn't comment on those. I must say though that when the elevator stopped on other floors (the lower floors in particular), you felt like you were in a totally different hotel. I'm guessing that the renovations haven't reached the 19th floor? And if that's the case, then they shouldn't let anyone sleep in those floors.

The night before we left I requested a 4:30am wake up call because I couldn't figure out how to set the alarm clock. Crowne Plaza has a guarantee that if they don't call you for your wake up call, they'll credit you one night's stay. So, with such a guarantee I was quite confident I would get a wake up call the next morning. So imagine my surprise when I didn't get a wake up call the next morning. Luckily I did manage to set the alarm otherwise I would have missed my flight home. When I went downstairs to check out and told them they didn't call me they just apologized. I had to remind them of their guarantee otherwise I would never have rec'd my night's stay credit. I think the least he could have done was offer it up front without me having to mention something.

All in all, if I had to do it over again, yes I would have taken my chances with Hotwire because the rate was great ($55 a night) but no, I wouldn't stay at the Crowne Plaza. At least not until they renovate it. So beware, if you stay at the Crowne Plaza make sure you don't stay on the 19th Floor and if you do, make sure you don't pay full price.

Work in progress....

by TripAdvisor Member alexandermals

This hotel is a work in progress, but a nice stay all the same.

My husband and I are currently staying in one of the renovated rooms on the 16th floor. I have to say that the room is very nice and large. I can't even describe how heavenly comfortable the bed is, but let me tell you this: I have severe insomnia, but with the sleep CD, eyemask, and earplugs coupled with this wonderful bed, I haven't had any trouble sleeping!

There have been minor issues, i.e. old room service menu and of course, daytime construction noise. The remodel construction has been the only real con so far. If you are going to stay here you might want to find out if there is a renovated room available away from the banging, sawing, etc. Also, if you want to plug your laptop in anywhere but right at the desk, you might need to bring an extension cord.

The staff has been fabulous and the service in this hotel has been impeccable. The entire staff has been friendly and helpful. If you get the chance, stop by the Green Olive bar in the lobby. The bartender is a really nice guy that can tell you just about anything you want to know about the Cleveland area. The restaurant has a nicely varied menu and the food is much better than your average 'hotel' food. Room service is quick and you order off of the regular restaurant menu so the price is not inflated, as it is for room service in most hotels.

I was undecided about the 'above average' rating because of the remodel noise, but the lovely staff, sheer comfort of the room, and better than average food really overshadows the construction issue (at least they provide earplugs!).

We stayed at the Waldorf about 6 weeks ago and frankly, this hotel is actually more comfortable with more room ameneties. Oh yes, I almost forgot, the free wireless internet doesn't hurt either!

Great location; service difficulties

by TripAdvisor Member bythewaymom

A lovely hotel and conference center with very nice staff. However, we'd informed them that we would be arriving very late and to hold our room, but when we arrived they'd already "purged" our reservation. Still they managed to accomodate us. After being in meetings that entire day, we returned to our room to find it as we'd left it, no clean towels, no cleanup. I called and towels were delivered to the door promptly. The remainder of the stay was fine.
Conference luncheons were exceptional, conference breakfasts were only rolls and coffee, but servers were great.

The Arcade, Downtown ClevelandThe Arcade, Downtown Cleveland

Early U.S. ArtEarly U.S. Art

View of Downtown from the Garfield MonumentView of Downtown from the Garfield Monument

Chagrin Historical MarkerChagrin Historical Marker

Transportation

by yvr

Is there good public transportation from the "Beachwood" Mayfiled Heights area to downtown Cleveland, Ohio?

Re: Transportation

by erikatheskysailor

Magnify over Beachwood, and you'll see two RTA bus routes, one of which is accessible via the last stop of the Green Line train. Schedules are here: http://riderta.com/maps-schedules.asp

Comments