Doubletree Cleveland Downtown Lakeside

Poor Value

Costs More than similar hotels

See Travelers Recommended Hotels

THEFT FROM ROOMS! DIRTY! NOISY! TRULY AWFUL

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 22, 2009

I will likely not stay in a DoubleTree hotel again due to this experience. Certainly, I will NEVER stay in this hotel again. They provide poor customer service, do not hire responsible employees and then do not take responsibility for the actions of their employees, and do not properly clean or maintain their rooms. We were in Cleveland for my dad's heart surgery at Cleveland Clinic. While going through that traumatic experience, both my sister and I had items stolen from our rooms by the hotel's housekeeping staff on two different days. I had some cosmetics stolen--disturbing but not terribly costly--but my sister had a diamond bracelet stolen from her room. She filed a police report. The hotel insurance company denied both claims, despite the fact that no one entered our rooms except the hotel housekeeping staff—and they know that’s true based on their room key access check. If having our things stolen wasn’t bad enough, we also had dirty rooms that were badly maintained. For example, on the first day, there was a hair band with blond hair stuck in it lying on the desk in my room. My mother dropped something on the floor and had to pull up the bed skirt around her bed to find it; it was filthy all around the edge of the bed--disgusting! Housekeeping did a very poor job of cleaning and refreshing the rooms on a daily basis, as, for example, most of the time none of us had clean water glasses after the first day. I guess they were too busy rummaging through our belongings and deciding what to steal to actually do their jobs. My room was also in very bad repair, including a closet that was falling in at the top, and a shower diverter that did not work and instead directed most of the water into the tub rather than out the shower head during a shower. My parents’ sink had no stopper, so my mother had to be very careful about taking off jewelry, lest it fall down the sink drain. The bathrooms, by the way, are extremely small—too small for two people. We had other issues with the hotel during out stay. For example, one night, the hotel left us all standing in front of the hospital in the cold, waiting for the shuttle that they said they would send to take us back to the hotel. When we finally called to find out where they were, they said they were too busy to come get us, so we had to take the bus and walk six or seven blocks, late at night, after spending a long day with my dad in the ICU. We constantly had trouble with our access cards, including not being able to get in and out of the garage and sometimes not being able to get into our rooms. The hotel staff never even so much as apologized for the inconvenience. After my dad was discharged from the hospital, he had to stay in Cleveland for a while. They ended up having to be there in the hotel while a Browns game was going on that weekend. The stadium is just a few blocks from the hotel. My mother had to call hotel security to get people in nearby rooms quieted down at 3:00 in the morning. People were literally screaming down the halls of the hotel. All in all it was a terrible experience. The only positive thing I can say about the hotel is that the beds were comfortable. However, considering the overall uncleanliness of the rooms, I doubt the beds were sanitary enough to be slept in.

Unique Quality: Housekeeping is free to steal your belongings without consequence. That's unique in my experience.

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Nice hotel, Great location!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 10, 2004

The hotel is OK but nothing to write home about. Its best quality is its location! Its a few blocks from the R&R hall of Fame.

bonio's Profile Photo

Handy location

by written on February 21, 2003

Usual Holiday Inn, but just around the corner from Browns Stadium and R&R Hall of Fame. Not far from downtown, easy metro access too.

GUYON's Profile Photo

A business hotel

by written on September 7, 2002

90$ without breakfast + parking 11$

Unique Quality: Near the Lake Erie Bank but our window did not face the Lake.
There is a restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We were a bit disatisfy by the hotel : a lack of organisation (the first room they gave us was not ready and very dirty. We changed after a lost of time).
It is a business hotel, not a touristic one.
Near the fitness room, there is an Internet room.

Directions: Near the Lake

• Fitness Center
  • Business Services
  • Free High Speed Internet

Cleveland Travel Forum

Need advice about Cleveland, Ohio? Visit the Travel Forum for Cleveland and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cleveland hotel reviews

Hard Rock Rocksino Northfield Park
"A Christmas Story" House & Museum
Jail converted into a beautiful Bed and Breakfast
Off The Beaten Path
VISIT TERMINAL TOWER "TOWER CITY"
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
VISIT THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
Things to Do
VISIT THE HARD ROCK CAFE CLEVELAND.
The Best Words are in the Eyes of the Bookstore
Bike the Towpath
Kayak a Great Lake
Things to Do
Great Little Place for Breakfast!
Lucky's Cafe
Momocho Mod Mex
Melt Bar and Grilled
Cleveland Lakefront Bikeway.
Sports & Outdoors
Best Mexican Food in Cleveland
Restaurants
Better than Long John Silver's?? Not exactly...
A Little Chunk of Taiwan
Restaurants
Nothing to write home about....
Nothing special here.
Restaurants
Eat there at your own risk.
Restaurants
Flavorful food in an artsy setting
Restaurants
Inexpensive comfort food in a trendy area.