Holiday Inn Cleveland Mayfield

Rock and Roll Hall of FameRock and Roll Hall of Fame

Playhouse Square, Columbus, OHPlayhouse Square, Columbus, OH

a great old Tiger Mahogany Bara great old Tiger Mahogany Bar

In the LobbyIn the Lobby

Internet Cafés in Cleveland??

by VDElvis

Hi, I've just moved to the area and I need an internet café where I can scan a document. (I have a computer and internet access, but printer/scanner). All the ones I've found on the internet seem to be out of business. Does anyone know of one? I am in Beachwood, but am willing to drive to get to one. I'm having no luck!

by timessquare

Try FedEx Office (used to be Kinkos).

My library has computers and printers but no scanners. It depends on how well equipped the public library is.

by cassiovieggore

As far as my PC is correct try

I know it may be quite distant but consider my pointing is from far away.
Cassiovieggore

by bocmaxima

Library or Kinkos. But, with a library, you'll likely need a card to access the computers. Beachwood's a big town, so I'm sure that there's a library there. Kinkos is just plain expensive. If you go, you need to know exactly what you need to do because you're paying by the minute.

hth

by VDElvis

Thanks, everyone. Went to a Fedex Kinko's on Chagrin Blvd and was able to get what I needed done. The service was pretty much the same as that Chappelle's Show episode where they make fun of Kinko's, but the job got done. Thanks again.

by Hungrytravelers1

free wifi at starbucks if you have a mac or iphone...

Travel Tips for Cleveland

Beautiful Cleveland

by bocmaxima

I was incredibly surprised at how beautiful the city is, I guess because of its bad rep.
The public parks, the Downtown mall, the architecture, the public gardens, the suburban boulevards, everything was just so gorgeous. The first time I drove down MLK was quite a shock. I wasn't expecting a long parkway like that.

Rockefeller Building (1903)

by yooperprof

Said to be the finest Louis Sullivan building not actually designed by Louis Sullivan. The actual architects were Cleveland based William Knox and John Elliott, men who had absorbed much of the style of the "Chicago School" during their apprenticeships with the Burnham and Root firm. Especially notable is the elegant and intricate cast iron relief that wraps around the lower three floors of the building.

As I stroll through downtown Cleveland, I was often reminded of Chicago - and now I know why!

Solemn Communion

by blaird

Back in the early 1900's at St Vitus parish in Cleveland a child went through two different communions during childhood. I doubt it still occurs today, as I did not know anything about solemn communion until my Grandmother talked about the photo attached here.

It seems in 1910, the Pope allowed children to take their communion as early as the "age of reason", at the age of seven years.

Prior to this, communion was taken at the ages of about 12 to 14. Originally, communion was not only a religious tradition, but also thought of as a passing from childhood to adulthood, and thus 12-14 was a proper age for the time. When the Pope changed communion to the early age of 7, the passing of adulthood obviously was not occuring. Therefore, first communion took place at age seven, followed about 5-7 years later by the solemn communion, in which the child thought more deeply about why he/she was taking communion. In the 1960's, I guess solemn communion died away and the passing into adulthood thing did, too.

This is a photo of my grandmother for her Solemn Communion.

Cleveland Cavaliers

by NYC2TLV

The Cleveland Cavaliers play in the United States' National Basketball League, the highest level of professional basketball in the US (if not the world). Going to a game these days is quite an experience since the team has seen a resurgence in popularity by signing a young phenom named Lebron James. I went to an exhibition match between the 'Cavs' and Maccabi Tel Aviv from Israel. It was a great experience since the arena is located in the downtown area and is easily accessible from the major highway. Parking in relation to bigger US cities is very cheap around the stadium. Tickets range anywhere from US $10-US $500. The cheapest seats are okay but not great. If you want a very special experience try to get a seat in the lower bowl area.

Cleveland International Film Festival

by WheninRome

The Cleveland International Film Festival is held every year around the middle of March for about 10 days in downtown Cleveland at Tower City Ampitheater.

A friend of mine turned me on to the festival last year and now I love going. Films typically start around late morning or noon and 4 to 5 films are running at any one time. Well over a hundred films from all genres and all parts of the world were shown at the festival this year. The price per film is $10 and it is best to get tickets and get in line fairly early because seats to coveted films go quick.

I was hoping to take a day off work (or at least an afternoon) this year and watch several films, but due to a hectic work schedule only made it downtown for one evening of the festival. Still it was very worthwhile. I saw the film "Manmade Landscapes", which is a deeply stirring film about human impact on our surroundings. Last year I saw "A Wonderful Night in Split", a dark but good Croatian movie and "Tapas", a quirky and bright Spanish movie. Imagine seeing those back to back.

The Cleveland International Film Festival is a genuine Cleveland experience and one held close to the heart of many locals. If you have the chance I recommend you take in a show.

Comments