24 Public Square, Cleveland, Ohio, 44113, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Elegant Old Master

Originally the Cleveland Hotel, the Renaissance has been the premier location in the city for decades. I began going here as a kid. We'd come into town for the day, get a day room and roam the city from this location. Directly linked to the Terminal Tower, Tower City, and Dillards, it is an ideal location.

The facility has been kept up over the years, revived rooms, which are large (small if you really won't one) well light and offer a feeling of yesteryear. The lobby has the high ceilings and large seating area. Great for casual meetings.

Directions: Downtown on Public Square

• erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo

Romantic and classy.

I found my stay at the Renaissance to be an absolute treat! Having walked by the hotel many times upon many times and being inside a few times, I overtly enjoyed staying here. It's an absolutely beautiful and comfortable hotel. Clean, as well. The service was excllent (even a tad trite at times) including quick valets. The room was well-furnished and I am reminded of a bed and breafast type of room, with the cozy, romantic feel. There was a large dresser, I think that we had 2 closets, a desk with a lamp and various other features for the business minded, a large comfy bed; they seemed to have the amenities covered quite nicely.

There's a sophisticated 5 star restaurant on site and even some random encased artifacts from an earlier time with the building's history. I also enjoyed spendng time in the common room/lobby as a piano player entertained. There's a fountain, so many comfy chairs and sofa. I also passed through the bar but I didnt stay, so, no reviews on that.

Overall, if you can afford staying here, do it! It's a very historic building for Cleveland and you'll be treated wonderfully!

Unique Quality: See above!

Directions: Main entrances located on Superior Rd, at West 3rd St.

More about Renaissance Cleveland Hotel

Public Square

by Toughluck

Planned since the inception of the city in 1796, to cover 10 acres. While the use has changed from public grazing land to parks and monuments, public square remains the heart of the city.

North Ontario street leave public square between the First Presbyterian Church (Old Stone Church) and the Society Bank's orginal building. Going clockwise (east) around the square, is the US Courthouse as Rockwell St. leads to the Mall . South across Superior is the BP America (British Petroleum) Plaza and tower. Crossing Euclid we come to the southside of the square and the old May Company Building . (It's been closed for along time). Westward around the square and across Ontario (we're half way) is the Tower Complex with Dillards , the Tower , and Stouffer's Renaissance Cleveland Hotel . This brings us back to Superior. The Detroit Superior Bridge (oh, I forgot, Veterans Memorial Bridge) is seen to the west. We come up the west side of the square turning the corner at the Illuminating Building and were back at the Old Stone Church.

Don't walk this on the outside of the square, do it on the inside, where there are trees, flowers, benches and the various memorials, including the Soldier's and Sailors Monument.

Public Square has made it into Hollywood history. The The Christmas Story where Ralphie wants his Red Rider Range Air Rifle had a scene of the family going to see Santa. See more at Christmas Story - Movie

See my Travelogue Take a Walk Around Public Square

Had a Great Time!!

We stayed at the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel on March 19th 2005.
I have to take the time to say the service was Exellent, so was the room.
The main lobby is beautiful and they are in constant upkeep. It is awesome to walk right into Tower City mall. They found out it was my Birthday and gave me a free bottle of champane and grape juice for the children.
The pool was very small, the suana was nice as the work-out equiptment.
I always felt safe (from a small town) and well treated.
The restaurant San Souci was UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!! The BEST sea bass
in the world!!! My husband's lobster bisque was incredible as my greek salad, his creme brulee and chocolate mousse was EXELLENT. Well worth the money. Ask for a window seat!!! Just GO!!!!!!!! Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!

i found a condom in the bathroom

i was taking a show and got out and their was a box in the bathroom wall i opend it their was a condom hanging their i did not say nothing it just about made me sick and i selp on the floor that night

Class act

by TripAdvisor Member Treece36

My husband and I travel frequently. We debated between the Renaissance Hotel and Ritz Carlton. But decided on a hotel with some history and nostalgic ambience. We made the right decision. The location is downtown and central to the touristic areas of interest...most in walking distance.
Our room was on the concierge lounge level (which is closed on the wknds).
It was spacious and appeared newly renovated. We enjoyed the pool, sauna and work out facilities. Most importantly, PLEASE do yourself a favor and dine in the hotel restaurant, Sans Souci. It was incredible. We enjoyed our meal there above any other 5 star recommended restaurant in the city. Keep the scallop appetizer in mind. The staff was professional and courteous. The hotel bar was very enjoyable with exceptionally professional bartenders who were truly knowledgeable on the spirits they served. And last, but not least...there was Skeets...the man behind the Grand piano-we found out he has been there for about 15 years and truly makes the atmosphere so comfortable and pleasing. Enjoy!

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member csurugbyhooker

I won't be too wordy with this review. In a nutshell, the Renaissance Hotel in Cleveland is a great hotel. I was fortuante enough to get a great rate on priceline for my Saturday stay. The rooms were very clean, the hotel is in a great location, the hotel is very picturesque, and the staff was friendly. The King room I had was very roomy and the bed with four pillows was most comfortable. I have stayed at the Ritz in Cleveland before and this hotel is just as good, if not better, for a much cheaper rate. You'll enjoy your stay at the Renaissance.

Cockroach in my room!

I will never stay at this hotel again. Not only was there a cockroach in my room, but the elevators operated at slow speeds, the Bellman were totally unhelpful, and it took about 20 minutes for the valet to bring my car out---everyday! The worse part was, my company rented the Presidential suite for a special occasion, and as part of this, we ordered $500 worth of sandwiches. The room service attendant brought 5 plates for a 20-person luncheon. When I called to request extra plates, the casually mentioned the $1 surcharge PER extra plate! Outrageous! I will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

Would not recommend this hotel..

by TripAdvisor Member FrannyK

My husband and I and our teenage son stayed one night at this hotel. We had driven from Philly to Pittsburgh to see a Pirates game and the Andy Warhol Museum, then from Pittsburgh to Cleveland to see an Indians game and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We chose the hotel because of it's historic significance and it's proximity to the ballpark. We were given incorrect directions TWICE from the front desk on our way through the city. Very annoying. When we arrived there was major confusion between the bellman and front desk. The bellman asked us to go up two floors to the front desk and find out our room number and run back outside to him to tell him the room number? What were his headphones for? Then the front desk asked us why the bellman didn't give us luggage tickets? And then the front desk asked us to run back outside w/our room number? My husband said can't you just call him--what are those headphones for? She said Oh, OK and called him w/our room number. Very odd. The lobby and lower lobby were breathtaking at first sight, such old world elegance and winding staircases, lots of wood, beautiful. It's ashamed they didn't take care of it. It had a smoky, dusty smell. All the tables, especially in the lobby bar area and dirty streaks on them. Our hallway smelled very strong. Our room was so dusty we sneezed a lot and there were stains on the carpet and dirt in the air conditioner. We were charged for two pizza's instead of the one we ordered from room service--we had to go to the front desk TWICE to have it taken care of. The soda machine ate up my son's money and we had to go to the front desk again--any other Renaissance would have delivered a soda or the money you lost to your room by that point. We had free breakfast included in our room rate but no one at the front desk seemed to know which restaurant it included and they gave us nothing to show the wait staff. As it turned out we ordered room service breakfast and had to go to the front desk yet again to have it adjusted. We went down the the bar late at night for a drink and snack at one of the beautiful but dirty tables and a homeless man who smelled of urine was sitting behind us. We had to ask for snack mix which all the other tables had already. The staff was never rude, they just don't seem to know or care what is going on at their hotel. As for the hotel's location, there is a tunnel from the hotel, through a mall, to the ballpark so you can walk there without even going outside which was neat--about 10-15 minute walk. The hotel told us the Rock & Roll HOF was a couple of blocks--not true (more like a 25 minute+ walk)--we took a cab. Also, FYI, you need a minimum of 2 1/2 hours to see the HOF--it was fabulous but I wish we would have had more time. It was the highlight of our trip. We'd like to visit the HOF again and take more time, we definitely will not be staying at the Renaissance.

Take a walk on Public Square

by Toughluck

"How it became a Square"

This is still under construction. Come back in February 2006.

"North side of the Square"

"BP American and the east side"

See my entries in Cleveland Things to Do (Miscellaneous)BPAmeirca

"May Company Block"

"The Terminal Complex & Raspberry Hill"

See my entries in Cleveland Things to Do (Miscellaneous)Terminal Tower

"West side of the Square"

"Monuments & Memorials"

See my entries in Cleveland Things to Do (Miscellaneous)Soldiers and Sailors Monument

"The Christmas Story & History"

Public Square has made it into Hollywood history. The The Christmas Story where Ralphie wants his Red Rider Range Air Rifle had a scene of the family going to see Santa. The Christmas Parade took place here on Clevelands Public Square. The department store window is the corner window (Ontario & So. Public Square) of Higbees (well it's now Dillards). The interior shots may have been here, or in a studio. I've not been able to figure that out, yet.

Comments