Baymont Inn and Suites Columbus at Rickenbacker

2323 Port Road, (formerly "AmeriHost Inn"), Columbus, Ohio, 43217, United States
Hotels.com Orbitz.com BaymontInns.com

More about Columbus

Hairy friends crossing our pathHairy friends crossing our path

A nice green walkA nice green walk

Ohio Doughboy Statue, Columbus, OhioOhio Doughboy Statue, Columbus, Ohio

German Village, Columbus, OHGerman Village, Columbus, OH

Travel Tips for Columbus

Packing List

by 1sassyfemme

If you're planning on camping in the Ohio area in the Spring/Summer time be prepared for the occassional rainstorm and flash flood. It's good to keep two extra tarp with you; one to put on the ground and one to put above your tent before you set it up. This will greatly decrease your chances of washing away durning these storms (and I've seen it happen). Also, you will want to treat your tent with seam sealer and a weather resistant coating. Even though most new tents come with weather resiting coatings, treating or re-treating your tent will increase its chances against the elements and its lifespan. Nowadays, campers bring along portable toilets which is a great comfort. But many counties in Ohio have water protection laws; so you'll want to be extra careful where and how you dispose of the waste.

There are also many poisonous spiders in the Ohio area such as the Brown Recluse. My best suggestion is to try and remeber what these highly poisonous spiders look like and keep pay attention to your surroundings. Try to keep as many of your belongings as possible in air and water tight containers. Always check and shake out your clothes and shoes before you put the on. A short handled broom comes in handy for sweeping out any unwanted 'guest'; this way you won't have to risk a bite even if it isn't poisonous. Stay aware of any new marks or rashes on the body. If you do notice any take a pen and draw a circle around the mark. If the lesion grows outside of the circle within three minutes, get help immediately. In any case, if you are worried, help should be notified if any strange marks appear.
Don't forget to pack the good old snake and bee bite kits.

Lindey's

by SeannyMac about Lindey's

Lindey's is a wonderful restaurant in German Village, but it can get expensive. It's definately a place for a special occasion. The setting is pleasant and the service is helpful and quick. The food is tasty, to say the least. Most entrees have unusual side-dishes, but they're still enjoyable. Sesame Salmon

Visit the Columbus Zoo.

by jtb2inky

I am a big fan of zoos. I like to visit them on my journeys if I have the time. And in all of the zoos that I have been to, the Columbus Zoo ranks up there among the best. The gorilla exhibit is first class, as is the tour of North American wildlife. Make time for a day here if at all possible.

City Park 2: Goodale Park, my favorite!

by tvdandy

I love this park, wonderful, big pond right in the middle, with benches shades by trees surrounding the pond. Beautiful tennis courts, gazebo, great walking and running trails, very friendly with the pets. Great festivals are held here during the summer, including Comfest. The location is great, right on the edge of the Short North, and in the middle of the Italian Village area, where there are beautiful houses. Great people watching spot as well. Very laidback and relaxing, people tan here in the summers. Nice commons house for meetings.

My Stay in columbus

by abi_maha

"Festivities begin in Columbus Easton!"

We have started headed out every evening now as the entire city is gearing up for thanksgiving and Christmas!! All the bare trees are lit up with lights, huge christmas trees are up in every mall and neighborhood and the chime of bells and music is everywhere! It is such a wonderful feling and I am truly loving it!
This a pic of how the Easton Town Center is all set for Xmas, the setting is complete with horse drawn carriages and almost everyone sporting a Xmas red cap! :D Oh, I wish this season would last forever!:))

"Highball halloween"

This was our first halloween ever and it was truly an experience we will remember for a long time! What enthusiasm from the people, they had all dressed up remarkably well I must say! Men as women, women as men, some celebrity look alikes, some cartoon look alikes, my jaw dropped wen a bunch of them came dressed as Mt Rushmore!
This ball began with a kids fancy dress, then we had a wonderful 'Dogoween Party' some of the prize winners were truly awesome!! as my collage shows.. and then we had a fashion show for halloween which showcased some interesting outfits! A riot of colors and imagination let loose! Then we had a DJ party while the localites got to walk the stage after a short registration and pre-selection process!

"Columbus and the community we live in"

For some vague reason AJ likes the BA a lot! So obviously when he books my tickets to Columbus, Ohio he books it on BA, which means I fly from Bangalore to London (thats 10.5 hours), stopover at London for 2 hours, then fly London to Chicago ( Another 9 hours), stop over here for 2 hours with a very hurried luggage transfer(!!) and then fly Chicago to Columbus for an hour by which time I really thought my legs had lost all motoring capabilities!! (Phew!) So it was no surprise that when I came out to meet AJ I was acting like a zombie!
I was busy wondering how do so many Indians commute all the way here so many times a year??! I mean truly what motivates them to sometimes even relocate so far away from home? For somebody who has spent her life settled in and around a ten kilometers radius in Bangalore, these were puzzling thoughts indeed!
This was just before I landed in Chicago...and my first experience of being in the US has also been good. people are very friendly, the service in retail outlets is fantastic, I love the way they greet every customer who enters their store and they always have something nice to say as we leave the store! Traveling is a breeze here with the nice wide roads and distances are immaterial! (I will write a page dedicated to help Indians coming here for the first time, I remember all the trepidation i had before coming here esp w.r.t driving)Contrary to my belief that all of US had only skyscrapers and congested construction Columbus is a very quaint and nice place to live in. (No wonder AJ is enjoying himself so much here!) And keeping with my perception of the US the roads are AMAZING!! What an asset to have! And so well planned! Everybody seems to own a car to commute around, so I don't see much of public transport, but then with roads like these even a dud can drive! I love the lane system and the planning for a seperate lane for people who want to digress from the given road! Now why cant the many Indians who have lived here come back to our country and help make our roads a little better I wonder...? Maybe we should send the Minister for transport/infrastructure on a study trip here.....?
Our community(Christopher Wren) is awesome, look alike buildings, mostly made of wood (which is something that we are not used to in India), spacious rooms and quaint balconies with nice views of the lawns outside which has a thriving animal life- squirrels and birds- make for a nice place to live in.
The Columbus Zoo is awesome as my tips will prove, I have detailed out our trip to the zoo so you will know what to expect when you get there! Have also just been to the German Village- a quaint lil area that has a nice book store called Loft. I will upload those pics & tips soon enough. As my holiday here is getting over I do feel I am going to miss this nice city and it's conveniences once I get back. However, getting back home is something else all together!! :D
My latest addiction are the 12 metroparks in and around Columbus. Have just created a separate tip on that! It is such a wonderful passtime, the huge parks are great bursts of fresh air to one's lungs and a fascinating home for some awesome birds and animals!

Latest Tips:
Metro Park 2: Pickerinton Ponds
Off the beaten track : Calling all canines (posted 16th Nov 09)
Off the beaten track: Hoover state preserve (posted 1st dec '09)

Comments